1997 Chevy c3500 with 97 12v Cummins istalled - help with speedo & tach
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1997 Chevy c3500 with 97 12v Cummins istalled - help with speedo & tach

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default 1997 Chevy c3500 with 97 12v Cummins istalled - help with speedo & tach

Hello everyone i am to the task of making the tach & speedometer work in my 1997 Chevy c3500 2wd dually with a swapped in 97 12v w/47RE . I have done searches and just keep coming up with a mess of answers and surely at this point in the game and as many done as have been done , someone can tell me just what i need to do/buy so i can proceed with the fun part (driving it!)

thanks in advance for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

what was originally in it? if diesel the tach was run off the alternator. i had a cummins alt converted to one wire and had a tach pick up added when i did the conversion in my 94 K2500. the speed will probably have to be adapted or buy a kit to convert the dodge pick up to the GM. i reused my nv4500 and stock transfer case so i didnt have any issues with the speedometer.
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 ECSB Cummins 12V Benched 215 pump Custom cut DV's 5x12 injectors o-ringed head marine pistons 181/210 cam 62/71/.80 turbo

New Registered User
    Thanks

the chevy was a 454 and 4l80e automatic.

What I am wondering is if I add the "w" terminal / wire to my alt ,AND swap out my chevy cluster with one that come from a 6.5 diesel would this work direct? I don't have a wiring diagram for the vehicle but I am wondering if the tach wire passes thru the ecu , or if its direct (or should I make it direct)

would the Dakota digital take the dodge speed sensor and adapt it to what the (diesel) gm speedo is "wanting"?

Thanks

I'll have to see if I can find my manual and look up the wiring. Yours probably goes through a module or some sort of ECM.

You might be able to replace it all with a Dakota digital set up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 ECSB Cummins 12V Benched 215 pump Custom cut DV's 5x12 injectors o-ringed head marine pistons 181/210 cam 62/71/.80 turbo

Thanks

I did a swap in my 97 with a 350 and 4l80e. For the tach i used dodge alt. Brought it to a shop for external regulator and tach install. Ran that to the dakota dsl-1 than to my instrument panel. Im pretty sure if you get the 6.5 tach you dont need the dakota box. You'll just have to adjust pulley size to get it right on. For the speedo i took the tail housing off my 241c along with the speedo gear and swapped it onto the dodge 241. Speedo works fine. I had to keep the chevy ecm for this to work tho... i have a build thread on here if you need more info. With a few pics.

+ Reply to Thread