Perkins 4.182 relationship with Mazda
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Perkins 4.182 relationship with Mazda

Thanks

Default Perkins 4.182 relationship with Mazda

Hi everyone,
    A couple of Mazda diesels were built by Perkins, the HA 3 ltr Mazda diesel was one of them. My diesel is a Mazda 3.5ltr SL (4in bore 4in stroke) which appears to be identical to the HA (bore, stroke variant) but all internet searches fail to find the connection between it and the Perkins. I'm trying to find out weather my diesels were actually built by Mazda or Perkins.
    Can anyone here shed some more light as I'm in the process of turbo charging/intercooling this one below. The 3.5 SL is getting very hard to find information on.
    Thanks Geoff

Pictured below is my mazda / Ford truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Wow, I didn't realise how little information there is on these engines judging by the silence.
    At 3.5ltr they were fitted in a heap of ford Trader, Mazda T series trucks, Mazda T series buses both here in Oz and in Japan and I'm sure some made it over to your shores. My original intention was to do a 4BT swap but after finding what I can about these diesels it is lighter, non turboed produces more power, gains better fuel economy and is cheaper to buy in stock form. This one shown in my truck has done 500 000 reliable K's. A Perkin's workshop manual I recently acquired shows almost exact similarities to the Mazda 3.5ltr. so I guess they were built fairly tough.
    Cheers

Thanks

It sounds like a great engine. I don't think it even made it to the US and since the majority of members are in the US we won't be much help. I'm sure Dougal knows something about them though.

1990 Ford F250 SCSB on RCLB frame, 4x4, ZF5, 7.3L IDI, 37s - D60 swap next
    1998 Ford F150 SCSB, 4x2, M5R2 - ex-4.2L, 4BD1T swap in progress

The difference between 65 and 75 MPH is 7 seconds per mile. Slow down and save fuel.

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

I see some of those here too, but I have no information on them. The Ford equivalent truck was badged "trader".
    There are factory turbo versions wearing the 3500T badge but that is all the info I have.

For your turbo sizing, the 4BD1T information thread will all apply quite well. Yes you are down on displacement a little, but the turbos I've picked there are all fast-spooling.
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

+ Reply to Thread