74 Fj40
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 74 Fj40

Thanks

Default 74 Fj40

Hey guys, Ive been drooling over this site and this idea for about a year or more now and I finally got started with my own project. I'm picking up my 4bt in the next week or so from a 4btswaps member. This is the plan..
    Take the 4BT and put dodge nv4500/Dana300 behind it. I had planned on using Toyota Tacoma rear axle(v6). Think it will hold? I think it will since its an upgrade from the stock landcruiser rear axle(which holds up ok behind the 4bt).
    I hope to get everything i need while im in school for this semester and put this thing in the first part of my summer(might not happen, but need deadlines to get things done). I hope yall are willing to help/answer any problems i will certainly have along the way.

Last edited by 1974FJ; 10-22-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    1974 FJ40 4BT cpl 858, VE Pump, 366 spring, KDPf, HY35w, SBC Con-O, NV4500, Dana 300, 4.10, 35s

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Fantasic to see it happening. With the 40 already being SOA you should be able to get it done in a summer. I've had a bunch of stuff to do besides the motor swap and that all takes time. Look forward to the progress. I can understand why the build is over here and not on the ih8mud's diesel section, they tend to favor the toyota diesels. They are good engines but sure ain't no cummins!
    85 Landcruiser FJ60, 4BTA, 4L80E Optishift controller, 203 doubler to splitcase tcase, SOA, 38s, and more.

Family Haulin' FJ60

Thanks

haha, thanks Boots, I actually plan to do the swap in 2 weeks or alittle more. Haha, laugh now, but thats the plan. Im starting to get all the things i need to do it. So then when it becomes D-Day, it will be out of commission only for a short while. We'll see...
    Your right about ih8mud. But i love your thread "family haulin." I cant wait to hear more about it now that your wrapping it up.
    1974 FJ40 4BT cpl 858, VE Pump, 366 spring, KDPf, HY35w, SBC Con-O, NV4500, Dana 300, 4.10, 35s

New Registered User
    Thanks

thats a friggin sweet FJ. i look forward to hearing about how it goes and the final product. good luck dude

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1974FJ View Post
    ...now that your wrapping it up.
    hahahaha...that's a good one. Sure wish it felt like I was wrapping it up. I guess the good thing is that there will be more to come and thanks for reading along. Take some shots of your parts collection and show 'em.
    85 Landcruiser FJ60, 4BTA, 4L80E Optishift controller, 203 doubler to splitcase tcase, SOA, 38s, and more.

Family Haulin' FJ60

New Registered User
    Thanks

nice 40. maybe one day i will some more money. to get my 40 back on the road.keep us updated

Thanks

Look what i got today!

I was able to get a trip up to Tennessee Diesel Conversions(Scott Oswalt) and purchased this motor from him. I am very happy with the motor and I would recommend to anyone to get their motor from him, excellent guy and great price!
    I also purchased the front and rear seal, fix for the KDP and a 3600 governor spring. He showed me some directions and showed me on my engine what all i have to do from here on out. I would have stayed there all day!

The motor has a recently rebuilt VE pump, almost new alternator, lower rear mount turbo, ~118,000 miles. Cant wait to start tearing into it!

Thanks

Congrats on getting your engine. Time to kiss driving your 40 goodbye for a little bit while you rip its heart out and put in something better.

Family Haulin' FJ60

Thanks

you got it boots! i hate to do it....not! that six is hatin life right now and my 40 cant wait for another heart. Im working as hard as I can to get this project going faster, but im trying to be patience as well.

Thanks

Well.......The is going to be a short hold up on my build....
    Lady cut across a 4lane 4way intersection and i hit her doing about 40mph and spun me around so fast it ended up going down on the drivers side. Im ok, sore and alittle cut and shes ok as well. As always, glad nobody was hurt badly. But it still sucks!!!!

Thanks

you can see how bad i bent frame.....for a reference the hood is facing straight ahead but the front clip is shifted to the left about 6-7 inches.

Thanks

crap man, hope their insurance fixes that for ya. thats too nice a' 40.
    88 Chevy Airforce crewcab. 6bt NV4500 valair clutch, modified 4k GSK
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
    72 Scout d60/14blt, 4bta
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...72-Scout-Build

Thanks

Wow, sorry to hear about the news. It doesn't look too bad but getting into a bent frame can't be fun. You've got some serious ackerman angle on your steering now! Are you going to try and fix it or start with a different one? Glad you could walk away.

Family Haulin' FJ60

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Dang,

Can't have anything nice .What's the plans now? If you need another one ,guy has one down the road from me setting in a barn same color and all stock .

No problem Thanks for the plug

Scott

Thanks

Good luck, Me and my dad once pulled a F-150 into the shop in the morning with a 351 and a C6, and pulled it out at 9 that night with a 4BT and a Ford crawler 4 speed. Then a few weeks later we switched out the clutch and tranny for a ZF with an internal slave, and tied up a few loose ends.

Thanks

yea ive got a possitive attitude about things, i think it will work out nice in the long run. Just more time and ofcoarse.......more money.

New Registered User
    Thanks

yea ive got a possitive attitude about things, i think it will work out nice in the long run. Just more time and ofcoarse.......more money.
    Didja get the frame fixed?

Thanks

Not even going to bother fixing frame.
    Ive found a couple local frames for sale. Im just going to transfer everything over and basically do a full build around the 4bt. Kinda excited about it. Right now im battling the insurance company trying to not get screwed because kelly blue book only says my car is worth less than 2k.

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default been there, this info might help

Tell the insurance company to go to hell and take you to show you the list of invisible FJs on that price list. Make them take you to a replacement so you can buy it.

I've got two here in an auto trader in the PNW for $5800 and $7500. One of them might be in as good of shape as yours was pre-accident. Only two rigs available, and it's the $8500 or less Autotrader.

I had my jeep catch on fire and had the same insurance battle. The insurance company always has this list of bargain basement mint condition rigs the rest of us can never seem to find. Be vigilant against this BS and gather market data for FJs available in the same condition and tell the insurance company you're dealing with a classic rig. Another good way to show market value is to watch as many FJ auctions on ebay and let them expire so you see the final paying price, then document it.

If the tub is not racked, you can move it to another frame and fenders. This way you get the best of all parts. You might find a custom frame, but I know nothing of FJ lore to help out. If the tub is whacked bad, as tough as it'll be, you might well move on. Unless you simply cannot find a sound one to replace it with, I would not recommend rebuilding it unless you're ready to take on a serious project.

When my jeep caught on fire and I was shopping for a replacement, there were no good donors avaialable worth paying what they wanted for em. I did not have a racked frame, so most metal was sound, but the rest was shot.

So, I rebuilt and spent more than enough to buy the Blue FJ cruiser I passed up because I was too cheap when I was looking. It already had a V8 and was actually a decent deal at $6k 12 years ago. But it was blue, so that and a quarter sized piece of dry surface rust under some carpet and I talked myself out of it. It was from New Mexico....rust, right....should've grabbed it.

My jeep is no longer even remotely stock and beyond what I imagined back before it set aflame. If you rebuild your rig, build it so you can keep it for 20+ years, because after all that work, it'll be particularly hard to let go of. I've had my CJ7 for about 12 years now. It burned at year one of my ownership and took me 14 months to restore and drive again. I did not really upgade much at all besides a whole lot of bedliner.

As for the FJ, this is why I did not buy it even though I drooled all over it. I can get jeep parts all over the place. FJ parts are expensive and much harder to find. In an event like your crash on my jeep. I could call up 4wd hardware and order a frame the next day, and make it a seriously upgraded frame. However, I've spent a lot of post rebuild money making that wimpy jeep drivetrain strong that you simply don't have to worry about in the FJ.

Sorry this is so bloody long, but I think I've shared some of the key decisions I made in the do or don't rebuild it process and what to expect.

Thanks

Hey thanks Jeepmor
    This isnt our only fj( we have this beautiful one my dad and I built for my brother
    )
    So i know what goes into a frame off. But like you said, ive got a couple good ads here for fj40s for sale and quiet a few ebay auctions that have already ended ready to print off. I think it will work out, im still trying to get a hold of the insurance company(dont say it, I know its been a week, not my problem and im pissed about it).

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Both of those fj's are beautiful, it sucks that you are having to deal with the insurance Co. but be diligent.

Thanks

still fighting the insurance company....
    But was able to get some work done on the motor.
    After listening to Crewcab59, i used EasyOff over cleaner on the engine and used warm water and a brush and got all grease off engine! worked great and that stuff will make your babies born naked.
    I took a good bit of the simple stuff of the motor apart to paint this weekend.
    I went to northern tool and equipment and picked up some "Cummins beige" engine paint. Looks great to me.
    Also used some intense heat paint for the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing of turbo. Didnt have the means of letting engine run for 60 minutes to bake the exhaust paint, but was able to get grill up to 650degrees and baked the housing and manifold in it for 60 minutes.

Last edited by 1974FJ; 05-04-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

Your engine is lookin' nice.

Family Haulin' FJ60

Supporting Member
    Thanks

still fighting the insurance company....
    But was able to get some work done on the motor.
    After listening to Crewcab59, i used EasyOff over cleaner on the engine and used warm water and a brush and got all grease off engine! worked great and that stuff will make your babies born naked.
    I took a good bit of the simple stuff of the motor apart to paint this weekend.
    I went to northern tool and equipment and picked up some "Cummins beige" engine paint. Looks great to me.
    Also used some intense heat paint for the exhaust manifold and exhaust housing of turbo. Didnt have the means of letting engine run for 60 minutes to bake the exhaust paint, but was able to get grill up to 650degrees and baked the housing and manifold in it for 60 minutes.

I told ya that cleaner was strong ! Babbies are born naked ? Does NC have different Babbies ? The engine does look good ,now get the FJ back on the road.

Scott
    Last edited by CrewCab59; 05-05-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrewCab59 View Post
    I told ya that cleaner was strong ! Babbies are born naked ? Does NC have different Babbies ? The engine does look good ,now get the FJ back on the road.

Scott
    Yeah, the whole babies thing was a joke/weird saying i hear alot hanging out around my teachers and adults. Must be a North Carolina thing i dont know. But you weren't kidding about that cleaner, that stuff took my breath away a few times!

Thanks

I'm from Texas and I knew what you were saying by the "Naked Babies" thing. We say that alot down here too. HAHAHA!!!
    1982 Chevy 4x4 Shortbed, 6BT, Getrag, Dana 300, Dana 60/14FF 3.73 gears & Detriot locker, 4" lift, 35's, MT Classic II's, pump maxed and timed, 3200 gov spring, Stg II Denny T, PODs, HX40, INTERCOOLED. 4BT GONE

1993 Dodge W-250
    LOTS O' FUEL, LIFT, TURBO, N' TYRES, NUFF SAID!

Thanks

cool day for me Thursday. I got off work early and was able to ride down to Shelby NC to auto salvage of Shelby. They had quite a few 5.9s. Most were running cores that i couldn't touch, but i did find one that had lots of parts on it. I was able to get my vertical mount oil sending unit, exhaust manifold that i plan to chop, the intake plate that I'm also going to try and cut down, block heater cord and the the intake manifold horn with grid heater. And all it cost me was $30. Ill post pictures and write up on the exhaust and intake modification. Latest update on the cruiser is they are offering 7.2k but we are still hanging on for more....

Thanks

Got the oil sending unit changed today from the one i bought.
    easiest/cheapest modification so far.....

heres what i was working with before...

this is what i got from the salvage yard.(before i cleaned it up....)

Installed!

Thanks

This past weekend i was able to head up state and pick up a frame from some good friends of mine(Thank you Juan and Maria) to use for the wrecked cruiser. The cruiser doesnt have a whole lot of body damage to it, but the frame took all the impact, seeing as how it bent a good 7-8 inches. So heres what i got, and now the plan is to get to working on this new frame..

Thanks

Looking good man, keep it up. I wanna get a 4BT Yota trail run going sometime next year, 2009, since I won't be running till then hahaha....
    84 X-tra cab, t-18, dana 300(currently) to be linked front and rear, 37" tires, ect...... I love 4BT yotas, are you going to run longfields for front CV's?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.