Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

dodge starter bolt size?

13K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Diesel Durango 
#1 ·
stupid question, i know...

I had one fall out and I don't know the size and i won't see it until tomorrow night and I want to make sure i can replace it...

TIA

#4 ·
This is to funny. When I was putting mine together with the dodge adapter, I could not figure out the starter bolt size. Some of the bolts in the adapter where metric and some not. None I had felt right being threaded into the starter location.

I thought- no problem, I will just go to the Dodge parts counter and get one for the truck I got the adapter from. I tell the parts guy I need some starter bolts for a 97 Dodge ram with a 5 speed and a cummins. He says it only uses one bolt to hold the starter on. I say BS, I have one and know it takes 3. He procedes to argue with me and insists it only takes one bolt. I say fine. I want 3 of them anyway. He tells me he only has one in stock. I am about to blow my top . How about just telling me the size of the bolt? He says he doesn't have that information. So I think- Just buy the bolt and drive all the way accross town to the hardware store and hopefully you can match it up. "I will take your one starter bolt" Thats $11. $11 for one bolt! I about hit him.

#10 ·
not sure what happened entirely, but it looks like the top bolt backed out, eventually the other 2 worked themselves free enough for the starter to come out enough to not engage. When that happened it took out the bottom ear of the starter. Luckily enough for me, my buddy was able to TIG it up last night and i put it back in good as new-ish. The bolts in it were probably the wrong bolts they only had like 1/4" engagement. I have 3 12 point bolts that would work sitting here in my pile of parts from my swap...that's probably them, ugh. I was going to use them but i couldn't find my 12 point socket, ugh. I ended up with putting long enough bolts in...hopefully...locktite too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.