Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

'91 F-150 XLT Tachometer

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  69rambler 
#1 ·
I would like to get the tach working.

Truck originally came with 4.9L EFI gasser and XLT-package, which included a tachometer. That engine kinda blew up, and another I-6 just sorta appeared in there one day, honest!

'97 Dodge 6BT, with an OE sensor (proximity sensor?) mounted such that it can read off two slots cut into the balancer's periphery.

Anybody have a idea how to mate the Ford tach with a Dodge/Cummins tach sensor? (Boy, that last reads like something that shoulda "...stayed in Vegas.")

BTW, that Ford tach goes to 6,000 RPM, a feature which I'm sure I'll use every day!

Eddie

#2 ·
I've done it two ways- I've plugged in a V8 tach and used a flywheel or machined balancer with a dakota digital tach adapter kit or I've plugged in a diesel tach and used the 7.3 pickup with 36 notches milled into the balancer.

The gauge clusters are all the same- The Ford tachs themselves are self contained and swap out in a couple minutes.

I would caution that the last shipment of Dakota tach adapters I got in (last month) were much lower quality than the stuff I've got from them in the past. Instead of a VDO sensor they sent China crap. The body threads were oversized and the sensors were not as sensitive.

#8 ·
I've done it two ways- I've plugged in a V8 tach and used a flywheel or machined balancer with a dakota digital tach adapter kit...
V8 tach--I am assuming (yeah, yeah, "assuming", I know):
a., the V8 tach came from the '87-'91 series of F-trucks, and:
b., the tach cares not if it came from a gas or diesel F.

...flywheel or machined balancer...
How many teeth?

THANX!

Eddie

#3 ·
On my Bronco tach I used the Dakota digital adapter and signal from the alternator.
I added the signal wire to the alternator myself.

#5 ·
Reactions: lawnboy
#6 ·
I used my tach sensor off of my 4.6 and a town wheel from autoworld Montana. I had to fab a braćket but it works great.

Reactions: Eddie
#7 · (Edited)
WOW!

Looks as though I've got of places I can go...THANX, ALL!

1. Were I to use the 4.6 V-8 (I'm assuming the gasoline 4.6) scheme, what is a "town wheel"? This one would seem to be easier from a parts availability standpoint; 4.6s are everywhere.

2. I read though the alt hook-up link--would the same procedure be used with my OE (though rebuilt) '91 Ford alt (which uses the OE Cummins pulley)?

Eddie

#9 ·
I am using a 2 wire ABS sensor mounted to the front of my motor (Kubota V2203) reading 2 notches made in the front pulley. One wire to the signal terminal on the back of the tach, the other to 12v KO. My Ranger had a 4cyl so 2 notches are required. You will need 3 for the 6cly tach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.