Aftermarket intercooler/aftercooler?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aftermarket intercooler/aftercooler?

Thanks

Default Aftermarket intercooler/aftercooler?

Has anyone discovered any decent and affordable intercooler/aftercooler units?

I spent hours on the net this morning trying to find what the story is on aftemarket intercoolers. Well, I never found out! Maybe a total of 4 companies offering something I'd possibly buy, at a price that's almost affordable. None of the vendors listed specs, all were entirely vague on what they were selling, and most wouldn't post prices! I tried intercooler, aftercooler, air to air, air to water etc in every combination I could think of, with terrible results. Most were $2000-$4000 kits for rice rockets.

Any suggestions, guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Not Useful Information
    Last edited by Charles; 10-03-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks

Thanks, Charles. I'm not looking for OEM because of the ridiculous prices, like $1000 for a core and 2 end tanks. I found a decent core and 2 end tanks for $300 or less brand new, so I'm trying to avoid the 300% markup added to anything spelled 'D-I-E-S-E-L'. I find $250 cores/tanks with $200-$300 in piping and boots going for $3000!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...10+Intercooler

I may just pick up a spool gun for my MIG and build my own, and maybe build extras for sale to those who want one.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

You might look at the 1st gen dodge 91.5-93 were incooled and there close to the same size as the intercooler in the P-30 trucks.

Scott

Thanks

I got a Volvo intercooler, but the distance from inlet to outlet is around 23 inches, which is going to limit me to a tiny radiator. I know 4BT's generate very little heat, but I plan on doing some towing and tweaking the pump a bit, and I don't see how a 350 square inches of radiator are going to cool a turbocharged engine.

Thanks

I used a nice bar and plate model brand new from ebay for $200. They look real nice. Size one up for the correct amount of hp you're running so you don't lose efficiency.

It think it's around 1cfm/hp. Just look around. You could find something that will fit real nice.

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

I've picked up one of these.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drag-...96834474QQrdZ1
    But I've got a lot of shuffling to do before I can fit it in.

However, that shuffling is nothing compared to the headache of trying to fit a front mount IC on my truck.

The ricer crowd has a massive array of intercoolers to pick from.

Thanks

Tanks for the info, tips and links, guys. I'll be doing an aftercoller this summer so the info is much appreciated!

'69 FJ55 Land Cruiser dieselcruiserhead's Avatar
    Thanks

I used the Volvo intercooler last time. I ran a pretty small aluminum radiatior, $160 through Speedway motors, cooled great no issues at all, towing etc. This time I am going even smaller, following the experience of the Proffitt's Cruisers guys. They usually do the Volvo intercoolers, (out of 740 wagons and sedans), and the FJ40 radiators, even in big rigs like sprung over FJ60s and such, and some are complaining they are not heating up to operating temp! I also run an electric fan, so that it can warm up quicker, and cool quickly when you need it. But I never needed it..
    1991 Toyota Pickup, Mercedes 300D OM617 diesel
    1969 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    1989 Land Cruiser project in progress with 4BT
    2010 KTM 450

Successfully installed 4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T, and Mercedes 300D engines into different vehicles.

Thanks

Thanks, D/C. I have about 26" wide by 20" tall radiator core with the bodywork opening about 38 wide. With 3 core radiator it's overkill on cooling. I'm sure an after cooler of almost any size would have little effect. I guess a guy could run an auxiliary oil cooler to help keep things cool if there were problems from an aftercooler blocking flow.

Going to do a lot of research before an install and do it right the first time.

New Registered User
    Thanks

I know this is an old thread but came across something today that may help someone in the future. myhotjeep.com/Option-Racing/Intercooler-Kit/Universal-Option-Racing-Intercooler-Piping-_-46_99105/610659/
    This is to big and not to small. Should be a good option for some of you guys.

New Registered User
    Thanks

I just used a stock powerjoke intercooler they are all alum.

Thanks

I used a similar IC that mooktank used. I did not look at the HP ratings till after I looked at the working pressure. The one I bought was around 40 max psi working pressure. Then I sized the rest of the IC. There were not many to chose from. Most of the rice IC's are only rated for 24 or so max psi. My stock 1HC hits about 22 psi maxed out.

Check out my build, I think I posted what I got. I know it was off ebay, plate and bar type, and the bad thing, made in China....
    Fiddleback

1979 Ford F-150 4x4 "The Beast"
    4BTA (CPL#986), T-18, NP205, Dana 60 rear (3.73), Dana 44 front (3.52), 315/85R16 BFG A/T (35in)
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4380
    Reminder Blue Star renewal 6/2010

Thanks

this is where i bought my core, they have alot more sizes than they list
    http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/cat...LERS-72-1.html
    WWW.PEAKDIESELPERFORMANCE.COM TOLL FREE 1-877-858-7325

Thanks

buddy of mine told me about this place, more $ than an ebay for ricer though....bell intercoolers.

Thanks

Well dang, this one is back from the dead! Thanks, guys!

Never got around to an aftercooler yet, haven't needed it. Still a future possibility though, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread