Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Aftermarket intercooler/aftercooler?

27K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JimmieD 
#1 ·
Has anyone discovered any decent and affordable intercooler/aftercooler units?

I spent hours on the net this morning trying to find what the story is on aftemarket intercoolers. Well, I never found out! Maybe a total of 4 companies offering something I'd possibly buy, at a price that's almost affordable. None of the vendors listed specs, all were entirely vague on what they were selling, and most wouldn't post prices! I tried intercooler, aftercooler, air to air, air to water etc in every combination I could think of, with terrible results. Most were $2000-$4000 kits for rice rockets.

Any suggestions, guys?

#2 · (Edited)
Not Useful Information

#3 ·
Thanks, Charles. I'm not looking for OEM because of the ridiculous prices, like $1000 for a core and 2 end tanks. I found a decent core and 2 end tanks for $300 or less brand new, so I'm trying to avoid the 300% markup added to anything spelled 'D-I-E-S-E-L'. I find $250 cores/tanks with $200-$300 in piping and boots going for $3000!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=31&cat_key=63&prodname=TR10+Intercooler

I may just pick up a spool gun for my MIG and build my own, and maybe build extras for sale to those who want one.

#5 ·
I got a Volvo intercooler, but the distance from inlet to outlet is around 23 inches, which is going to limit me to a tiny radiator. I know 4BT's generate very little heat, but I plan on doing some towing and tweaking the pump a bit, and I don't see how a 350 square inches of radiator are going to cool a turbocharged engine.

#8 ·
Tanks for the info, tips and links, guys. I'll be doing an aftercoller this summer so the info is much appreciated!

#9 ·
I used the Volvo intercooler last time. I ran a pretty small aluminum radiatior, $160 through Speedway motors, cooled great no issues at all, towing etc. This time I am going even smaller, following the experience of the Proffitt's Cruisers guys. They usually do the Volvo intercoolers, (out of 740 wagons and sedans), and the FJ40 radiators, even in big rigs like sprung over FJ60s and such, and some are complaining they are not heating up to operating temp! I also run an electric fan, so that it can warm up quicker, and cool quickly when you need it. But I never needed it..

#10 ·
Thanks, D/C. I have about 26" wide by 20" tall radiator core with the bodywork opening about 38 wide. With 3 core radiator it's overkill on cooling. I'm sure an after cooler of almost any size would have little effect. I guess a guy could run an auxiliary oil cooler to help keep things cool if there were problems from an aftercooler blocking flow.

Going to do a lot of research before an install and do it right the first time.

#13 ·
I used a similar IC that mooktank used. I did not look at the HP ratings till after I looked at the working pressure. The one I bought was around 40 max psi working pressure. Then I sized the rest of the IC. There were not many to chose from. Most of the rice IC's are only rated for 24 or so max psi. My stock 1HC hits about 22 psi maxed out.

Check out my build, I think I posted what I got. I know it was off ebay, plate and bar type, and the bad thing, made in China....

#16 ·
Well dang, this one is back from the dead! Thanks, guys!

Never got around to an aftercooler yet, haven't needed it. Still a future possibility though, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.