Dana 300 to NV4500 specifics...
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dana 300 to NV4500 specifics...

Thanks

Default Dana 300 to NV4500 specifics...

I think this might make for a decent sticky...
    Searched for this but couldn't find the specifics...

I know the NV4500 to dana300 can be a direct bolt up but only with certain models and I want to clear up all the possibilities.
    What year model dana 300s can be used on the different NV4500s.
    I want to know if all year dana 300s are the same?
    Are all of them passenger drop?
    What NV4500s have what output shafts?

Thanks guys!

UPDATE for the NV4500HD to Dana 300
    I got it figured out. I was able to speak with John White of JBConversions and the kit (http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...300/plate.html) comes with the input gear(with no additional charge, must specify when ordering what spline count) for the 29 spline nv4500hd. Also, with the rotation plate/input retainer combo that is in the kit is enough spacing for the extended output shaft of the nv4500hd, so no cutting is required. Thanks guys for helping me, sorry for the run around, i just heard too many contradicting stories to understand what was going on.
    Last edited by 1974FJ; 12-11-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    1974 FJ40 4BT cpl 858, VE Pump, 366 spring, KDPf, HY35w, SBC Con-O, NV4500, Dana 300, 4.10, 35s

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1974FJ View Post
    I think this might make for a decent sticky...
    Searched for this but couldn't find the specifics...

I know the NV4500 to dana300 can be a direct bolt up but only with certain models and I want to clear up all the possibilities.
    What year model dana 300s can be used on the different NV4500s.
    I want to know if all year dana 300s are the same?
    Are all of them passenger drop?
    What NV4500s have what output shafts?

Thanks guys!
    The dana 300 can be flipped to fit eigther side by using a flip kit
    Turbo D

Thanks

the nv4500 has to have a standard 23 spline output shaft from a dodge light duty(gas engine).
    88 Chevy Airforce crewcab. 6bt NV4500 valair clutch, modified 4k GSK
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
    72 Scout d60/14blt, 4bta
    http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...72-Scout-Build

Thanks

Dana 300 bolts up to a standard duty NV4500.

To bolt up to HD 29 Spline you need a new input gear like this
    1967 Land Rover Series IIA 109 Hybrid, it is STILL just a pile of parts, someday I may finish......
    Custom Chassis, Air Suspension, Rear Double Triangulated 4-Link, Front 3-Link
    Drivetrain: Taurus Fan -> 4BTA3.9 CPL 0986 Twins? (DeVito/Schwarzenegger style) -> NV4500HD -> Dana 300 -> Dana 44 Front and Rear
    Build-up thread on Pirate4x4 (before I found here)

Thanks

Dodge NV4500 gass application 1-1/8 diam input 23 spline output
    Dodge Diesel/V10 NV4500HD 1-1/4 diam input 29 spline output
    GM NV4500 1-1/8 diam input 32 spline output

plan on using a clocking ring. the bolt pattern is the same but IIRC the angle of the Dana 300 was too far down using stock studs and the stock dodge tail housing for my application so i used a clocking ring to get it up a touch.

All dana 300s are not the same . IH scouts dana 300's from 1980 use the texas bolt pattern like a dana 20 and a bolt on bull gear. the IH dana 300 will not work. IH dana 300 use what is known as the short rear output tail housing. prone to problems and difficult to upgrade. All jeep 1980-1986 dana 300's use an input bearing and bearing retainer with a 23 spline female input with the same 360* round 6 bolt pattern that is standard on the tail housings of the nv4500's etc. 1980 jeep dana 300's use the short rear output like the IH dana 300 and it is prone to problems and difficult to upgrade, i believe AA is the only available housing otherwise weld and redrill rear of housing. 1981-86 jeep dana 300's have a longer rear output that is the standard for all the 32 spline HD upgrade output kits.

all dana 300's are passengerside drop.
    STAK makes a replacement case for around $600 (which is the way to go if you want beef and a d300) that can be used to get it on the driverside drop or you can do a dana 300 flip kit as was mentioned above. check on pirate board and look under jeep faq v2.0 and you will find a detailed thread about a flip kit
    Last edited by dusty; 10-14-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    FSJ cherokee chief 4BTA 120 hp ve, piston lift pump, 50 hp lenny's injectors, 03 dodge HY35/9, 1991 dodge intercooler, 13" clutch & dodge nv5600 flywheel, nv4500/D300 3.54's D44 Ploks F&R
    4bt info

2003 Dodge 3500 4x4 6 spd........

Thanks

Wow, thanks alot Dusty
    1974 FJ40 4BT cpl 858, VE Pump, 366 spring, KDPf, HY35w, SBC Con-O, NV4500, Dana 300, 4.10, 35s

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Default NV4500 to Dana 300

Also I will add that if you have the NV4500 HD (Diesel or V10) with the larger output shaft, you can get another input for the Dana 300 that will match the spline of the NV4500HD and will make it a bolt-up. That is available from http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/
    I bought their complete rebuild kit and the conversion for the Dana 300 to fit the NV4500HD and every part looks great, nice machine work and well made.

Dieseltim

Thanks

Thanks Dieseltim!

Heres what your talking about:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

1974FJ: Another resource on this question is Advance Adapters. www.advanceadapters.com They have sussed out every concievable variation of NV4500/ D300 combos, and every other swap combo that is viable, for just about anything, and have all options available with the possible exception of the D300 flip kit, which I think is marketed by someone else.

They also have a aftermarket Toyota transfercase called an Orion which is a pretty nice piece of equipment, you should look at it for your build.

Their catalogs for various swaps IE: Jeep, Toyota, Atlas, etc. are a wealth of information, and are free, or almost free, and are also available on line at the above link.

They are good people to deal with.

Randy
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Thanks

Randy, i looked over AA and didn't find a kit for the NV4500HD(29 spline) to dana300. They do have a 29 spline input gear for this, but not a specific kit(clocking ring, input gear retainer......).

Here is my current situation:
    i currently own a 99'NV4500HD and a 85' jeep dana300. I want to put these two together!!!!!haha

I went through most all of the jbconversions website and thought i had it figured out. From what i can tell, i will need a clocking ring(just simply for spacing the t-case from the tranny due to the length of the 29 spline output shaft on the NV4500HD) and a new input gear and retainer. Well this all sounds good to me til i spoke with somebody from jbconversions over the phone and now i dont claim to know anything. I asked if all i needed was the clocking plate kit (http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...300/plate.html) because in the kit it comes with "the new billet clocking plate, 6 allen cap screws, extended length input gear and 6 new "interference fit" studs." and he told me i also needed the custom 29 spline input gear(which i thought was included in the clocking kit? it says to specify the input gear size, doesnt it?). I then decided to just ask him what all i needed to do the swap and he went on to say all these things about the mounting face on the NV4500HD and whether or not it had a step in it and a few other things(i couldn't respond b/c i did not have the tranny to compare.) Basically i need to know what i really need, and nothing more! haha. And for somebody to explain to me why there is a kit for this, when its not really complete, or if it is complete why i cant figure it out. What am I missing here... Thanks!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Did you talk to JON @ Jb ? Ok the way I read the kit id does have the clock ring,bolts and input shaft .

Now when I did Tndonor J10 build he use a Gm Nv4500 to dana 300 ,which we swap in a 32 spline in the tcase and used a clocking ring just like this one.

see pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Clock...spagenameZWDVW

Now after we did that we also found out that the Nv4500 shaft was still to long and we installed another ring vs cutting down the output shaft .

Now I do know the dodge Nv4500 all it takes is a ring like above and a new input shaft ,we found this info on pirate4x4 and they say it works .

Scott

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Post NV4500HD/ Dana 300

Ok, the first ? I have is why do you need the clocking ring? Are you doing a Driver side or Pass. side front drive? You only need to flip the Dana 300 if you are running a driver side front axle. The way I read your info from above, it sound like the clocking ring kit comes with a longer shaft to make up the thickness of the clocking ring, you still have to have the right spline count and that is what the custom input shaft would do. In my case I am installing it in my 86 CJ7 Jeep so the front drive shaft is still on the Pass. side, so no flipping the dana 300 over and no clocking ring needed to adjust the angle of the dana. I only needed the custom input shaft to match the spline count of my NV4500HD.

You may already know this but the flange on the NV4500 is the same 6 bolt hole pattern all the way around, in other words you can rotate it 1/6 of a turn all the way around to what ever bolts up best for what you are doing. The clocking kit is just so that you can stop somewhere in between the 6 choices that you already have.

So, if this is not too confusing.

You only need the clocking ring if you can't get it to fit up on one of the 6 places that you already have, in other words if you need to be in between one of the 6 places that you have now. Then you will have to also get the custom shaft with the 29 spline count to match the NV4500HD so that it will mate up the Dana 300 to the 29 spline count of the NV4500HD from the Dodge.

If you don't need to reclock the Dana 300 then all you will need is the custom input shaft with the 29 count spline to mate the Nv4500 to the Dana 300.

Hope this clears some of the confusion.

If all else fails I would call back to JB and ask to talk to someone that knows about NV4500 / Dana 300 units. The guy I talked to was very informed and knew exactly what I was doing and what I needed.

Dieseltim

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Martin,

Here is what I'm talking about ,this has all the info you need on post # 11 .

Scott

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...v4500+dana+300

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dieseltim View Post
    Ok, the first ? I have is why do you need the clocking ring? Are you doing a Driver side or Pass. side front drive? You only need to flip the Dana 300 if you are running a driver side front axle. The way I read your info from above, it sound like the clocking ring kit comes with a longer shaft to make up the thickness of the clocking ring, you still have to have the right spline count and that is what the custom input shaft would do. In my case I am installing it in my 86 CJ7 Jeep so the front drive shaft is still on the Pass. side, so no flipping the dana 300 over and no clocking ring needed to adjust the angle of the dana. I only needed the custom input shaft to match the spline count of my NV4500HD.

You may already know this but the flange on the NV4500 is the same 6 bolt hole pattern all the way around, in other words you can rotate it 1/6 of a turn all the way around to what ever bolts up best for what you are doing. The clocking kit is just so that you can stop somewhere in between the 6 choices that you already have.

So, if this is not too confusing.

You only need the clocking ring if you can't get it to fit up on one of the 6 places that you already have, in other words if you need to be in between one of the 6 places that you have now. Then you will have to also get the custom shaft with the 29 spline count to match the NV4500HD so that it will mate up the Dana 300 to the 29 spline count of the NV4500HD from the Dodge.

If you don't need to reclock the Dana 300 then all you will need is the custom input shaft with the 29 count spline to mate the Nv4500 to the Dana 300.

Hope this clears some of the confusion.

If all else fails I would call back to JB and ask to talk to someone that knows about NV4500 / Dana 300 units. The guy I talked to was very informed and knew exactly what I was doing and what I needed.

Dieseltim
    The problem is the tailhousing hitting the seal retainer on the Dana 300 which is why I said the clock ring would take care of this plus would have more room to rotate. There are 2 different dodge tailhousing old style and the new style which since he is getting his trans build he won't be getting a old style housing .

Scott

Thanks

Dieseltim: Hold the Phone!!! The 6 bolt pattern on the D300 is NOT,,, I repeat NOT,, symetrical. The bolts are NOT 60* apart!!!!!!!!!!!!. An it will only go together ONE WAY! That's why it is not symetrical. So it only goes together one way.

5 of the holes are in fact 59* apart and the 2-4 o'clock holes are 64* apart. These holes are not in the same radial orientation for every application, but the basic pattern is the same.

I am not speculating here, I know this for a fact! I have built adapters for this bolt pattern which is common to many transfercases and overdrive units. I agonized over the placement of these holes, and I used everyone's drawings (none of which exactly agree.) In the end after I indicated the placement of these holes on 15 different parts, I figured out they are in fact 59* apart, except for the 2-4 o'clock position which makes up for the missing degree, 5 times over, and is thus 64* If you look closely you will see the hole at 6o'clock has been walked about half a hole. When I told you nobodies drawings agreed, I took my best shot. Nobodies hole patterns agree either. But all of my holes except the one are .375 in dia, no slop, and dead nuts in position, so I am confident of exactly where they are located. except for that one?.

All of the clocking rings out there simply take that same pattern and rotate it 7.5*ish 3 or 4 times around the center to give you different angles on your drop. .

Here are pics of my 2 adapters for my drive train both using this bolt pattern. The first is TH400 to 6 bolt pattern to the US gear OD, which removes the 7.5* tilt, and the second is 6 bolt pattern from the OD to 6 bolt pattern of the Atlas clocking ring.. Third picture is the whole mess bolted together. Note my transfercase is horizontal. This is not attainable with any commonly available clocking ring, they all are less than, or slightly beyond level.

See next reply for more pics.

Randy.
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-10-2008 at 07:36 PM.
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

Thanks

Here's some more pics.

Note the trans is canted 7.5* towards the drivers side, This is normal stock placement for the 4BT/TH400 system. I have seen the engines mounted canted 7.5*/ trands level, engine strait up/trans canted, and my van was canted about half and half. go fiigure. The first adapter removes this 7.5* and places the Overdrive unit level. The second adapter allows the transfer case to be placed level and was needed to make up for excessive output shaft length. I only was able to employ 3 of the 4 clocking positions available, but since one of them is the horizontal postion I came out good.

Randy

Thanks

Thanks Randy for the useful info

I got it figured out. I was able to speak with John White of JBConversions and the kit (http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...300/plate.html) comes with the input gear(with no additional charge, must specify when ordering what spline count) for the 29 spline nv4500hd. Also, with the rotation plate/input retainer combo that is in the kit is enough spacing for the extended output shaft of the nv4500hd, so no cutting is required. Thanks guys for helping me, sorry for the run around, i just heard too many contradicting stories to understand what was going on.

Thanks

I didn't see your new post when typing below, but anyways.......

I looked over the JB conversions stuff and it appears the clocking ring should come with an input gear, you just need to specify which one you require. When I added one to a cart it asked which spline I needed. Now, if it really includes the input gear, I do not know. You would have to ask.

The rotation kit was not available when I got my input gear. These are the parts I got for my '98 NV4500HD to '85 Dana 300:
    JB Conversions - 29 Spline Input Gear and Retainer, approx $185 shipped
    Great Lake Off Road - Dana 300 Clocking Ring, approx $40 shipped

If the face of the tail housing is flat across and just has a deep hole for the output shaft, then you do not have a "step". Mine did not.

I also made a spacer for the Dana 300 out of aluminum so I did not have to trim the transmission output shaft, but I didn't end up using it because I wanted to rotate my t-case. If you just want to get the 29 spline input gear and not rotate your t-case, I'll send you the spacer if I can find it. I am out of town for work through the weekend, but I'll check when I get home. If I find it, I'll PM you.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by 1974FJ View Post
    Randy, i looked over AA and didn't find a kit for the NV4500HD(29 spline) to dana300. They do have a 29 spline input gear for this, but not a specific kit(clocking ring, input gear retainer......).

Here is my current situation:
    i currently own a 99'NV4500HD and a 85' jeep dana300. I want to put these two together!!!!!haha

I went through most all of the jbconversions website and thought i had it figured out. From what i can tell, i will need a clocking ring(just simply for spacing the t-case from the tranny due to the length of the 29 spline output shaft on the NV4500HD) and a new input gear and retainer. Well this all sounds good to me til i spoke with somebody from jbconversions over the phone and now i dont claim to know anything. I asked if all i needed was the clocking plate kit (http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...300/plate.html) because in the kit it comes with "the new billet clocking plate, 6 allen cap screws, extended length input gear and 6 new "interference fit" studs." and he told me i also needed the custom 29 spline input gear(which i thought was included in the clocking kit? it says to specify the input gear size, doesnt it?). I then decided to just ask him what all i needed to do the swap and he went on to say all these things about the mounting face on the NV4500HD and whether or not it had a step in it and a few other things(i couldn't respond b/c i did not have the tranny to compare.) Basically i need to know what i really need, and nothing more! haha. And for somebody to explain to me why there is a kit for this, when its not really complete, or if it is complete why i cant figure it out. What am I missing here... Thanks!
    Last edited by cumminsrover; 12-11-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: took too long to type reply....
    1967 Land Rover Series IIA 109 Hybrid, it is STILL just a pile of parts, someday I may finish......
    Drivetrain: Taurus Fan -> 4BTA3.9 CPL 0986 Twins? (DeVito/Schwarzenegger style) -> NV4500HD -> Dana 300 -> Dana 44 Front and Rear

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsrover View Post
    I didn't see your new post when typing below, but anyways.......

I looked over the JB conversions stuff and it appears the clocking ring should come with an input gear, you just need to specify which one you require. When I added one to a cart it asked which spline I needed. Now, if it really includes the input gear, I do not know. You would have to ask.

The rotation kit was not available when I got my input gear. These are the parts I got for my '98 NV4500HD to '85 Dana 300:
    JB Conversions - 29 Spline Input Gear and Retainer, approx $185 shipped
    Great Lake Off Road - Dana 300 Clocking Ring, approx $40 shipped

If the face of the tail housing is flat across and just has a deep hole for the output shaft, then you do not have a "step". Mine did not.

I also made a spacer for the Dana 300 out of aluminum so I did not have to trim the transmission output shaft, but I didn't end up using it because I wanted to rotate my t-case. If you just want to get the 29 spline input gear and not rotate your t-case, I'll send you the spacer if I can find it. I am out of town for work through the weekend, but I'll check when I get home. If I find it, I'll PM you.

Patrick

Hey thanks Patrick, But i will not need it...heres what i found..

The new prices for JB conversions:
    29 Spline Input Gear and Retainer, approx $320 shipped (which only includes the input gear and retainer)
    Rotation Plate Kit, approx $270 shipped (and this includes the rotation plate, which is also the input gear retainer which is a special feature that jbconversions has that most dont, it also includes an input gear of your choice, so when i ordered i was prompted to verify the input gear spline count i needed, i chose the 29 spline for my nv4500hd. Kit comes with some fasteners too) I spoke with John White who was more than helpful, and he told me that the rotation plate spaces the tranny and t-case apart enough to make up for the extra length output shaft of the nv4500hd.

Not sure why just the 29 spline input gear and retainer is so much more than a rotation plate and input gear. This is where my confusion came from. Hope this clears everything up(but then again maybe i was the only one confused, haha)
    Last edited by 1974FJ; 12-11-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks

Hey, no problem. On the same store page for the rotation plate there is an input gear choice for $175 and that needs to come with a retainer. I am unsure of the difference between the 29 spline on that page and the 29 spline on the NV4500 page. Perhaps there is none and it is just a typo.

I wonder if I can get the rotation plate and retainer without getting the input gear. It would make my setup a bit better.

Glad you figured it out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsrover View Post

I wonder if I can get the rotation plate and retainer without getting the input gear. It would make my setup a bit better.

Glad you figured it out!

yeah me too. The rotation plate is the retainer for that kit. It works as both. Just a FYI.

+ Reply to Thread