Grid Heater
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grid Heater

Thanks

Question Grid Heater

Did anyone's 4bt come with a stock grid heater? I took the VP from Cummins off-road engineering for a ride the other week and he was looking at my engine. He said that the spacer on my intake is where a grid heater usually goes and he was surprised mine didn't have one. I do have the stock block heater.

Anyone running a grid at all? Wondering if it's something I should invest in. Its getting colder and my Jeep doesn't fit in the garage. Will the block heater be enough?
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”

Fully Restored '82 CJ-7: 1995 4bt P7100, nv4500, dana 300 (4:1) Dana 60 rear and 44 front

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Default Use the Search, Luke!

I don't know about it coming on the 4BT, but here's info on those that have used one:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2469
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects.
    - Lazarus Long, as written by Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by BobS View Post
    You need to first confirm the problem BEFORE you start buying and replacing parts.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

All 4bt air to air all came with the spacer , they use the block heater for a starting aid .The 5.9 heater will bolt right on but will have to be a 1st gen or from 98-2002 , because the 94-97 were 1 piece heater and intake plate.

The 4bta water aftercooled could have a have a heater installed under the cooler or the newer 2 piece remove the spacer and install the heater .

Scott

Thanks

Thanks... I'll see if I can't find one, and pick up a 15 second relay and go from there. Now that its cold out, it's not firing as quickly as it was when it was warmer. I haven't plugged in my block heater yet, but I did pick up a high-amp timer so that I don't have to run it all night long.. I'm thinking I'll have it turn on around 4 am for a start at 7am... that in combination with the grid heater should put me in good shape..
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”

Fully Restored '82 CJ-7: 1995 4bt P7100, nv4500, dana 300 (4:1) Dana 60 rear and 44 front

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slsanders0007 View Post
    Thanks... I'll see if I can't find one, and pick up a 15 second relay and go from there. Now that its cold out, it's not firing as quickly as it was when it was warmer. I haven't plugged in my block heater yet, but I did pick up a high-amp timer so that I don't have to run it all night long.. I'm thinking I'll have it turn on around 4 am for a start at 7am... that in combination with the grid heater should put me in good shape..
    You won't need both ,when I was up there I just use the grid heater .

Scott

Thanks

You won't need both ,when I was up there I just use the grid heater .
    Yea, but it surely won't hurt it to plug it in! It's a personal preference: I know guys that don't plug their 6BT's in unless it's -10. That, to me, is ignorant. A little on the power bill is worth a bunch...

92 F150 4x4, 4BT, Mazda 5spd., 2 1/2" into 3" straight pipe exhaust
    96 F250 4x4, Powerstroke, 5 spd., 4" straight pipe dual exhaust
    "When all else fails, go to South America"

+ Reply to Thread