Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4he1-tc

13K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  astr 
#1 ·
Just ran across one of these.It has 70-80k on it.He has the 'puter and tranny(o.d slips) $1500 for the engine, $2500 for the works.Anyone using one?Anyone looking?Seems to be fairly priced, but the auto seems to have the same disease as the earlier trucks.

#2 ·
Hmm would be a cool engine to run and that price seems very good to me. I know there are a couple folks swapping them in right now but I cant find the links right now. From what I understand the wiring is fairly straight forward to get it going. I think the starter would get in the way of the foot pedals though. I think that motor would be a prime canidate for a 6 spd allison with the double overdrive for decent power and great mileage, that way you could make an adapter plate and move the starter to another location.

#4 ·
Ha thanks. I wish I had a bridgeport and I would be making my own adapters for sure.

I would like to take a large convoy(50 or so)of diesel conversions up to detroit and invite the head guys from the big three and the epa and let them know what a bunch of regular joes with very limited budgets can do. Hmm in this day and age we would all be called deviants though. LOL

I am not sure what the bellhousing is on that engine, I know its different than my 4bd1t. I like the idea jeepinpete has about removeing the isuzu engine to bellhousing adapter and just making an trans adapter to bolt directly to the enigine.

I know the issue of flywheel weight has come up BUT a trans like the allison has an extremely heavy tq converter, I think its about 65-80 pounds. Take a standard flywheel and add some weight then zero balance it and you should be good to go. Put this setup in a 1940 ford sedan and prepare to turn some heads and get great mpg's.

#5 ·
We shouldn't blame the Big Three for the diesel shortage.Look to California and the EPA for the restrictive climate concerning diesels.My sister lives in France and drives a Chrysler minivan with a diesel getting 45-50 mpg.I am told it was built in...Detroit.Diesel is subsidized in Europe(by the huge fuel taxes?) so, along with the superior mileage, is the clear choice.Another bottleneck we face here is a lack of diesel producing refineries.Refiners are working on this, as the margins are better for diesel.I think if prices go back up diesel will become more mainstream.
What is the model # for the 6 speed Allison? I have 2 or 3 of the SAE #3 bell housing covers (I think they interchange between the 4 and 6), so I should be able to use one with what I have.Boy, wouldn't it be nice to find out that these would also bolt up to the 4HE...

#7 ·
A flywheel housing off a 4BD1 will not bolt straight up to a 4HE1. The timing gears are at the flywheel end of 4HE1's.

I don't know if it may be possible to make an adaptor or modify the existing timing gear/flywheel housing to accept a 4BD1 flywheel housing. But with the work that I assume would be involved, it would no doubt be more practical to make a new adaptor for the desired transmission.

#11 ·
Thanks.I guess I should have remembered seeing that I was one of the early posters.I will be interested to see how he handles the starter-location problem.Seller is leaning on me to make up my mind on the engine; $1500 is only a good deal if I can make a home for it somewhere.Anyone out there want it?

#14 ·
I would guess that it spun a bearing that is why it needs a new crankshaft. This engine does not have individual crank bearing caps but a single assembly that looks like a ladder. If there is damage to the bottom end, this assembly may not be available as a seperate item but rather is matched to the block. I'm only speculating but would recommend researching the extent of "Need a new crankshaft" and the remedies.

#15 ·
I only meant to put the good motor into this truck.I sold my NPR and miss it.
I've been following your install,astr;really cool.It makes me wonder if you could take the next step and put a drive axle under the front of your NPR.You've got the transfer case just waiting to work.
Do you think $1500 is a good price for the engine?

#24 ·
If you find a good and complete 4he1tc for $1500, grab it. Unless you have a good junk yard to get misc. stuff, try to get the engine, wiring harness, ecu, misc solenoids, sensors, etc. at the same time otherwise buying these from the dealer will kill you. For example, there is a temp sensor mounted on the air cleaner housing that is around $60 from the dealer.

Maybe when I get back home, I'l try to post a complete list of stuff that you should try to get aong with one of these engines. Keep in mind that these have and ecu but will run without one. IIRC, the ecu controls the exhaust brake both for slowing the truck and for speeding uo warmup, controls the glow plugs, controls a bypass passage in the intake to induce swirl during all modes of operation, provides some additional IP timing advance during some modes of operation and maybe a few other things. As a test, I disconnected mine and the truck seemed to start and run fine.

#16 · (Edited)
5 speed bellhousing 4HF1/4HG1

If you are looking for overdrive manual, the 5 speed used in the npr's with the 4HF1 and 4HG1 engines will fit up to the 4HE1 tc engines. How ever you may be able to use only the bellhousing of the trans and adapt another trans of your choice. The bellhousing seperates from the MS5A 5 speed

Another way would to use the bellhousings from the AW4 auto or tha Jatco auto both of these trans the bell bousing is removable

#25 ·
There was a 6-speed manual transmission listed as an option here in the US but I've never seen one. All seem to come with the AW450 4/speed automatic. When Isuzu switched to the 4HK1TC, they also swithched to a 6-speed automatic with two levels of OD.

#18 ·
The 4HE1 engines are the latest engines the 4HF1 engines were in the npr's from 94 to 98 and the 4HG1 engines from 98 to 2003. 4HG1 engines were also used in the mazda 4600 and the fuel pump was electronic not used here but some where in other countries. I like the 4HE1 engine because it in a very high torque engine with low rpm. I have installed 1 in my motor home conversion with a jatco auto and anticipate 110 kph at 1850 rpm.the trans code for the latest 5 speed used with 4HF1 is MXA-5R a more durable box than the MSA box

#23 ·
Feel free to post this info up in the sticky threads at the top. Filling in the gaps with model years etc is very handy for the rest of us.

The ratios on the MSA and MXA boxes are in those threads too, the MXA's look like they run the same ratios but I think some went to an alloy casing too.

#19 ·
It would be great to know why Isuzu used the different combination of engine and transmissions in the US vs the rest of the world.We were still using the 4bdt2 until '98, with the vast majority being Jatco equipped.I have friends in El Salvador that wouldn't take an automatic if you gave it to them.Big job to change from auto to manual, but they did it all the time.what type of vehicle is your motorhome?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.