Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Diesel Drift Trike

7K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  krustyballer16 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to build a diesel drift trike. Ive already built one with a little 6.5 gas engine on it. A diesel would be something different....

(Looks a lot different now, old pic)
Looking for an engine close to 6.5 horse and with overall dimensions somewhere around 16"x16"x16" and as light as possible.

Wanting to keep it cheap. I can buy a Ford diesel generator for $389 so if I can find an engine for cheaper that'd be better.

Anyone have any ideas on any engines?

See less See more
#2 ·
Check ebay and search for single cylinder diesel engines. The first one is 10 HP electric and pull start new for $825. I never heard of the make so it might be hard getting parts. Also search ebay for Yanmar diesel. There are 3 small ones. The first 2 are single cylinder, 4.9 KW and that equals 6.57 HP. The problem with them is they have a tapered crank shaft and probably ran military generators as they are 24 volt start. The second also has pull start. The 3rd is 2 cylinder water cooled and probably to heavy for your application. Hatz make small diesels too.

#6 ·
That $389 Ford generator probably has a tapered shaft on it too. I don't know how you could get it to work unless you took the shaft out and there was enough shaft left to cut a keyway into it. You should check into that before you buy it. According to this literature on the Lambardini's , http://herve.cochard.free.fr/tracteurs/Lombardini-archives.pdf the $325 one is only 4.1 HP and not enough power and the $799 one is 6.4 HP. It would probably be fairly easy to get parts for those since state highway departments used them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.