Crate Engine
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crate Engine

New Registered User
    Thanks

Default Crate Engine

Where can you get a 4b crate engine? Any websites I could snoop around? Google isn't helping me out at all...thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

ask Crewcab59

he is a Cummins Dealer...
    1997 Jeep Wrangler 4bt Cummins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwTF01PK1iE

Supporting Member
    Thanks

I have seen in classifieds that jrjeepparts has 4 vans for sale,stick shift versions,contact him,it seems prices were reasonable.

Thanks

cores4u.com might be your best bet.
    94 Dodge 1500 2wd short bed A518 trans, and powered by a Cummins 4BTAA 3.9 27mpg around town
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html

Thanks

Default new ones

Ask Crewcab259 1st
    ...But I swear I've seen several on E'BAY .

Thanks

By the actual definition of a "crate engine" the only source has always been from an authorized dealer or distributor of the manufacturer of that engine. A crate engine for a Chevrolet or Ford has always been a brand new engine from the factory sold through an authorized dealer. A "third party remanufactured engine" put on a pallet and boxed up for protection is not a brand new factory fresh crate engine from Cummins at the following address:
    http://www.cummins.com/cmi/index.jsp...&newsInfo=true
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

Find your nearest Cummins dealer or distributor and ask what is available in new old stock engines. Most of these engines were built for an OEM and didn't get used or there was a production change after they were built. A couple years ago I was buying brand new P pumped 110 hp 4bt's for 3500.00 and when you buy a new one there is no core charge. I think we just bought a 4.5 4bt new for 4500.00 or 5000.00 We go thru Cummins Great Plains But I don't know if they serve your area and Cummins dealers won't usually sell outside their territory. I once had a crew working in Georgia and they needed a part that was in I think Alabama and the dealer couldn't sell it to me because I wasn't in his region. Ended up buying it at our local dealer and having it sent overnight to Georgia boy that was cheap. Just trying to say some will work with you (like Scott@TDC) and some won't.

Mark
    1983 Ram 50 turbo diesel
    2003 4bt Durango
    1998 4bt Dakota coming soon

Thanks

I bought a used 4bt from www.fordcummins.com for $2500. There are several out there on e'bay too and from other sources. A new or rebuilt engine will run you a LOT.

I talked to my local Cummins dealer about buying a new or reman engine and they looked at me like I was stupid. Business must be pretty darned good.

Thanks

Cool Here's where I got mine:

And they will work with you too.rebuiltdieselengines.com or gearheadengines.com or call the rebuilding outfit (Reviva) at 877-367-7634. They are easy to work with.

Thanks

You can go to any Cummins Dealer and ask for a "Recon CPL#858 engine". You will get a complete engine with all accessories IE altermnator, PS pump, if you want it that way, Just the way it comes out of the P 30 van.

Last I heard they were around $8,500.00 + a $2,000.00 core charge, if you don't have a core. Sounds like alot but, they are made to work, and work costs money. Prices from Cummins are generally not considered bargan basement.

You might be able to buy a serviceable engine on Ebay, they go anywhere from $2,500 to $6,000. Caveat Emptor: You can go cheap and then rebuild if it is weak, or pay more and get more. For 6K you should get a new or almost new engine that has been either removed from a wreck or never installed in a vehicle..

These engines are not a "cheap" solution to anything, they cost more money than gas engines because they are considered "Industrial Quality" and are more expensive to produce. Even a 350 Chevy crate motor will cost you 7-8 grand before you get it running, because they don't come with any accessories or exhaust manifolds, or flywheels or starters, etc, etc, etc.

Randy
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Isuzu reliability tester carcrafter22's Avatar
    Thanks

Devils advocate : I would stay away from crate engines, I could do a whole conversion for the price of one of those crate motors and I feel that a nice low mileage unit (80,000 miles or so) will last a very long time for around $1500-$2000.
    Randy
    1967 F100 isuzu 4bd1t 60mm turbo procharger d1sc, big shied injection pump, 100% injectors - currently building AWD chassis for it
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee isuzu 4bd1t, he351 turbo 370cc pump, 100% injectors, 4l85e trans, bw4401 transfer case, clayton long arms 4.5" lift - For sale

+ Reply to Thread