Is the "6ct" useable or tooo biG?
4BTSwaps.com is the premier Cummins Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the "6ct" useable or tooo biG?

Hangs Out With Dogs DieselSchlepper's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Is the "6ct" useable or tooo biG?

Found a couple a 6cts. 220 hp. Are they friggin huge? Never seen one. What could they fit into?

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

6 C's are used in alot of big motorhomes, commercial buses and boats, they typically are 300-350 hp. The engine is essentially a scaled up B series, and it is 505 Cu in. or 8.3 litres

I dont know exactly, but I would guess the weight at around 13-1500 lbs. So they are kinda big for a light truck application.

Randy
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Detroit Section Caretaker Grigg's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen a few, and my WAG is they are similar in physical size to a DT466 IH engine.
    They would be great in medium duty trucks like they came in, but to large for a 1 ton pickup unless you are really ambitious, even then probably a little on the large side.

Grigg
    1948 Chevrolet 6400 (2 ton) updated with a Detroit Diesel Silver 4-53T and Roadranger RTO-6610 --click for all my pictures--
    "First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Isuzu reliability tester carcrafter22's Avatar
    Thanks

What can they fit into? hmm.... anything you can imagine as long as your good with a welder, cutting torch and maybe a plasma cutter if ya got one they are pretty big though so the ranger and dakota swaps might be out LOL

I thought I saw a guy put one in the bed of an f250 and kept the gas engine for weight distribution, this was in some magazine a year or so ago.
    Randy
    1967 F100 isuzu 4bd1t 60mm turbo procharger d1sc, big shied injection pump, 100% injectors - currently building AWD chassis for it
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee isuzu 4bd1t, he351 turbo 370cc pump, 100% injectors, 4l85e trans, bw4401 transfer case, clayton long arms 4.5" lift - For sale

Thanks

no it was an even bigger engine than that. and the magazine was deisel power. ya it was a 14L and it was either the NH 855 or the N14 i'll have to check
    2003 quad cab dodge Dakota, now rear wheel drive, serious traction issues
    twin turbo 4bt, newly installed 4l80e, VE fuel mods curtesy of cumminsfever
    VE performance Beta tester
    photo's http://picasaweb.google.com/dieseldakota
    build thread http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ht=2003+dakota

Thanks

and also that was in an f150
    2003 quad cab dodge Dakota, now rear wheel drive, serious traction issues
    twin turbo 4bt, newly installed 4l80e, VE fuel mods curtesy of cumminsfever
    VE performance Beta tester
    photo's http://picasaweb.google.com/dieseldakota
    build thread http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ht=2003+dakota

Isuzu reliability tester carcrafter22's Avatar
    Thanks

Good eye, thanks for the clarification.
    Randy
    1967 F100 isuzu 4bd1t 60mm turbo procharger d1sc, big shied injection pump, 100% injectors - currently building AWD chassis for it
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee isuzu 4bd1t, he351 turbo 370cc pump, 100% injectors, 4l85e trans, bw4401 transfer case, clayton long arms 4.5" lift - For sale

Thanks

The 6CT is roughly 3 inches taller and 4 inches longer than the 6BT. It's running weight is in the 1500 pound range. Peak torque is generally around 1600 RPMs with a max governed speed in the low 2000 RPM range (depending on the CPL). I remember reading about one installed in a Ford 1 Ton but I did not bookmark the page. The fellow had to relocate the front differential forward to have enough clearance for the oil pan. It can be done but a heavy 1 Ton chassis and heavy duty driveline components would be required. From memory the B series accessories (power steering) bolts on, and I believe the flywheels interchance.

EDIT: From Cummins.com on the QSC brochure:

L-44"
    W-31"
    H-42"

With a wet weight (with oil) of 1,594 lbs

I believe our member nevrenufhp has done the 6CT swap into a F350 Ford back in 2000.
    Last edited by BobS; 06-12-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

You can put just about any engine into any vehicle if you've got the time, money, and patience to do so.

That being said however the 6CT would be a tremendous undertaking. Combared to the B series engines the C series ones are huge.

The old 6 x 6, 5 cubic yard "5 ton" Army dump trucks had 6C Cummins (non turbo) engines in them rated at 220hp sitting in front of a 5 speed manual. They were horrendously underpowered, terribly slow (55mph max), and absolute gas hogs. Fuel mileage was in the 3-4mpg range but then again they were incredibly heavy empty and insanely heavy fully loaded. They were quite reliable though and would work their ass off day after day after day without complaint provided that you had enough fuel and oil to keep them happy.

Thanks

Probably get good mileage in a light truck tho, ya think?
    Who has the biggerest 1 ton engine compartment?

Thanks

That pick up truck with the N14 in teh bed was built right here in the Ventura area. I saw it a the Cummins Cal Pacific store in Ventura one day.

He kept the gas engine in the front for both weight distribution and to run all of the accessories, A/C, Alt P/s etc. It is quite the contraption, and nicely done too.

Just shows you can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Randy
    DeScrambler: Built from scratch, 4BT,TH400, USGear OD, Atlas 4.3, HP D44/ 4.10 ARB, HP D60/4.10 ARB, 37" MTR's

It's not how well you do what you know how to do.

It's how well you do, what you don't know how to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DieselSchlepper View Post
    Possibly but the gallons per hour of fuel consumed is higher on the bigger engine.
    BobS

NRA Life-Patron Member www.nra.org
    Armed people are called citizens. Unarmed people are called subjects.

90 Dodge W250 6BT Cummins 5 speed Getrag
    91 Dodge W250 6BTA Cummins NV-4500 conversion

Thanks

Yeah, at some point its overkill. Like a .44 mag for squirrels.

Thanks

Using a .44 on sqirrels is the same reasoning behind a 6CT or DT466 in a pickup. In an empty cab & chassis, it can get 11-12 mpg, so you shouldn't do too bad. The biggest engine compartment from radiator to firewall is a Super Duty, that's what I was going to use in my DT466 swap.
    To clear it up a little, I never did a 6CT swap, or a DT466 swap.....yet. I'd personally prefer the 466, but the 6CT has lots of potential too. They're widely used in sled pulling. Transmission and rear end will be another stumbling block. If I had the tools and shop space, I'd be doing big boy swaps like this all day.

Here's one in an F250 that was on ebay a few years ago.
    Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V, 4 spd. Soon to start a Ford 6.6 swap(twinned and P-pumped).
    http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm
    Low buck fuel rate site of mine.

Thanks

Wow, that's a big chunk! I'll bet with 44's and a 3.07 or 2.73 rearend it would get much higher mileage. Problem is there would be so much pressure on the drivetrain something would probably give. Why do you prefer the big boys?

In our toy 4x4 with 33's and a 350 chev I got 10 with the stock 4.10. THen I went to a lincoln rearend at 3.07 and got an honest 15.25 and could easily cruise at 95. It was crazy how fast it would roll.

Thanks

Wow, that's a big chunk! I'll bet with 44's and a 3.07 or 2.73 rearend it would get much higher mileage. Problem is there would be so much pressure on the drivetrain something would probably give. Why do you prefer the big boys?
    Gearing is critical to a good outcome. They have the potential to shred all the drive train if you drive it hard.
    I prefer the big boys because everyone and their neighbor's dog is doing a Cummins B(I'm even doing it soon). If I had a choice, I'd use a Ford/ New Holland 6.6 litre for my 67 F100, but only because of the FORD script on the valve cover. Don't even tell me their doggy, it's the EPA's fault not the engine. A little pump work goes a long way!
    Daily driver: 67 F100, 300, 4V, 4 spd. Soon to start a Ford 6.6 swap(twinned and P-pumped).
    http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm
    Low buck fuel rate site of mine.

+ Reply to Thread