Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1988 Ford Ranger

33K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  wbdave 
#1 ·
Hey Guys...My swap is mostly complete, runs and drives just need to button up a few things. Very pleased with the way it drives and the power of the Cummins is great. Just wanted to show a pic and say a BIG THANKS to everyone on this forum, without it I never would have got this done.

1988 Ranger, Cummins 4BT, 5 speed M5R2, BW1356, Dana 44's, 4.89, Detroits, chrome moly shafts, high steer, 38.5 Bogger

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey Guys...My swap is mostly complete, runs and drives just need to button up a few things. Very pleased with the way it drives and the power of the Cummins is great.

1988 Ranger, Cummins 4BT, 5 speed M5R2, BW1356, Dana 44's, 4.89, Detroits, chrome moly shafts, high steer, 38.5 Bogger

Did you have to notch the frame to clear the BW1356?

#11 ·
This may be a really silly question but how does your radiator work or how good does it work?

The coolant inlet and outlet are on the same side. Does the water just go through the tank from top to bottom and not enter the cooling fins?

I am assuming this since the coolant intake to the engine is on the bottom of the exhaust side of the motor. Do you have a hose going across the bottom to a IP side to the coolant output on the radiator?

Very clean install.

Congrats!

#20 ·
yes i modified the heater box. Took it off the firewall and cut of the section that flows air from the squirrel cage to the inlet going into the cab. I then made that section out of sheetmetal and made it at an angle so that it cleared the manifold.

#24 ·
Hey RichD,
I got a question for you. You used a manual tranny... what was your clutch slave / master combo and how does it work? On my 93 ranger I used the ZF slave and the ranger master and the clutch disengages when the pedal is almost to the ground. This worries me. Before, with the stock ranger setup, my clutch used to fully disengage about a quarter of the way down. I'm wondering if I just got some air up the line and into the master by accident or if my master is too small a bore for the ZF slave bore / travel required. ???
Chris

#26 ·
Ref Clutch

The clutch assembly is for an F150 as is the slave, the MC is for a Ranger and the hard line between the two is for an F150. All went together great with no problems.

Ref mileage and top speed.........I really have no idea, havnt checked either. I have had it up to 65 with no problems and sure it has more.

#27 ·
where did u pick up the adapter plate for the trans? i been going over for the past week which trans to choose n i think this is the one im going with..4x2 tho i just havent been able to find an apadter plate or which one to use. love the way ur truck came out looks nice! hope i can get mine to come out good 94 ranger :beer:

#28 ·
You need to look for a Ford small block adapter and flywheel combo out of a bread van, they originally were used with a T19. The M5R2 will fit pretty well in your ranger. I used the ZF which is a lot heavier duty but bigger and I had to alter the transmission tunnel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.