Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

3 cylinder cummins

63K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  Branjoy11 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a 3bt. My father in law has one. We don't know much about it, so I wondered if you all had ever heard of one. What were they used in? How much power do they produce? Any other info is great. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Thanks

#6 ·
Case tractor is what I have seen one in. I to would like to have one, I think it could possibly use the same adapter as the 4bt's. Would be nice to put in my 70 CJ5,it already has a chevy sm420 4speed and over drive unit. Then all my vehicles would be oil burners!!!

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Finally got some pictures for you. It's rear gear train and rotary pumped. Case New Holland markings. 79 hp at 2300 rpm. 206 cubic inches is bigger per cylinder than the 3.9/5.9, and seems to be half of a 6.7L.

Enjoy

#10 ·
Well isnt that a cute little thing. Thats similar to what I was planning originally with my ford truck, something like this with an electric motor at each wheel or one motor at each rear wheel to make my own hybrid vehicle.

#11 ·
Just crunching some numbers off that EPA tag.

Gives it a BSFC of 235g/kwh at rated power which is 34% efficiency (1 point higher than a 4BT).
90% VE if it was running an A/F ratio of 18:1 at max power.
243Nm torque
Would use 16.1 litres/hour at full power.

#13 ·
Several years ago Diesel Power Magazine did an article on the B series cummins and they mentioned the 3 cylinder. The 3, 4. and 6 all share common parts such as rods, pistons, valves, etc. This is literally half of a 5.9. It is the first one I have even seen though. Notice on the info tag the letters UK for United Kingdom. Those guys have all kinds of neat diesel stuff over there that we don't. Would make a neat install in a Ford Ranger. Would be fun trying to figure out a turbo for this puppy.

#14 ·
Would make a neat install in a Ford Ranger. Would be fun trying to figure out a turbo for this puppy.
this would really be a good option as there is not too much light diesels offering in the u.s., if cummins homologated it to automotive applications...

#15 ·
J'ai voient peu 3 cylindre verison de temps en temps sur Cummins B la série et les unités sur lesquelles je travaille ils sont utilisés pour l'unité de générateur.

Si je me rappelle qu'il le corrige a été noté à 60 CV à 1800 TRS/MIN donc si vous fonctionnez au moins 2300 à 2500 vous devriez obtenir environ 70 à 75 CV à moins que vous n'ajoutiez un turbocompresseur alors il augmentera en haut un peu.

I have see few 3 cylinder verison from time to time on Cummins B series and the units I work on they are used for generator unit.

If I recall it correct it was rated at 60 HP at 1800 RPM so if you are running at least 2300 to 2500 you should get about 70 to 75 HP unless you add a turbocharger then it will boost up a bit.

Merci.
Marc

#16 ·
If I recall it correct it was rated at 60 HP at 1800 RPM so if you are running at least 2300 to 2500 you should get about 70 to 75 HP unless you add a turbocharger then it will boost up a bit.
something around 120hp at 2000rpm seems to be doable and a good goal to a ranger or s10...

#19 · (Edited)
From lookin` at the pictures, I`d say it is turbo `ed. check out the intake configuration. it`s just like a non intercooled 6 bt. and look at the exhaust manifold. the outlet is facing up to mount a turbo right in line with the intake. I think the turbo is missing in these pictures. and there`s an open oil line fitting on top of the oil filter housing. also the engine is epa and carb (california) certified for `04 reg`s

#27 ·
Did some research on New Holland's web. I only found 1 application using a 3 cyl of this size. It is in the L185 skid steer loader. The engine is listed as 3.4L, 78hp @ 2300rpm and 228 lb ft of torque at 1400 rpm. Lost 1 hp but man has that sucker got torque. Manuufacturer is listed as New Holland for the engine. The engine model number is 334T/M2, the T is for turbo. They have the same engine non turbo with somewhat less power. This doesn't necessarily mean that cummins isn't making this engine for New Holland. They also have a 4.5L 4cyl which is exactly the size of the current cummins industrial 4. Must also remember that Case IH New Holland are part of the Fiat group with all kinds of engine manufacturing facilities.

#28 ·
The engine is listed as 3.4L, 78hp @ 2300rpm and 228 lb ft of torque at 1400 rpm. Lost 1 hp but man has that sucker got torque. Manuufacturer is listed as New Holland for the engine. The engine model number is 334T/M2, the T is for turbo. They have the same engine non turbo with somewhat less power.
seems that it's not too much boosted... but would be cool to use this engine in a late-type s10 or a chevy colorado...

#30 · (Edited)
the problem would be mounting an automotive tranny to it for a reasonable cost. What is the bellhousing config? It looks to be a sweet possibility if you can solve that. And it's not a cummins. It's a case new holland engine. I've got a 71 cj5 that would be killer in. 4bt's are nice but call for more money than my entire rig is worth to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.