Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

6bt power steering wo's

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sdstriper 
#1 ·
I m beating my head against the wall. I was headed to the parts store and when I arrived there, my power steering high pressure line was leaking badly. I went in, got what I went to get, plus both lines for the power steering and atf for my power steering. By the time I made it home, it was leaking very bad. My vehicle is an 89 d350 with the 5.9 cummins diesel. I replaced both lines and put in some fresh atf. I have searched all sections on here, and did all the steps in bleeding the system. Now, I have absolutely nothing. I had about half power steering before, but its like my pump is drinking fluid, I have added about 2 quarts and no feeling of any power steering. Is this pump hard to replace? Any other suggestions on what I can do? I think I may have fried my pump on my way home. Please Help!

#3 ·
unsure

The guy ad advanced auto parts said his book said I could using power steering fluid or atf. Im not sure what dodge calls for. THe fluid is disappearing every time I drive it or try to bleed it. I have no ideal where it is going. Can you tell me If i need to use dot 3 brake fluid instead? Any help will be appreciated. The cap on the pump says use approved power steering fluid.

#4 ·
Power steering fluid or ATF is correct.

If you put two quarts in and it's not leaking and wanting more you need to check your engine oil level.

#5 ·
so...

What Im guess is, I need a new pump. How hard is it? It keeps taking atf and it seems as my pump is doing nothing. I just would like to know the difficuly of changing this? Will I need to change my oil again if it has some atf in the oil? I just changed the oil yesterday....Main question, how hard is this to change? THe power steering pump?

#6 ·
Think your going to need another 10 qts. Bummer.

#10 ·
That's sig line material right there... :grinpimp:

#9 · (Edited)
Like Bob says: confirm the problem. If you are loosing ATF and there is no external leak, then it has to be in your engine somewhere. My vacuum/ps pump has an oil feed line in and dumps the flow to the front cover and back into circulation. If you have bad seals maybe its geting into general engine circulation and contaminating your oil. Seal kits are availale.;)

#11 ·
power steering

As noted above,those power steering pumps use ATF,not brake fluid.If the only leaks you had were the hoses,and you have confirmed you are not leaking ps fluid into your engine,then look at the BOTH steering unit,and the pump.I have had them leak internally the steering box itself),and have the sensation of little or no power assist.Your hoses may have been degraded,and had small pieces get into that,and ,if you have access to a service manual,and gauges,then you may be better off testing the power steering pump pressures,instead of randomly replacing parts,because you may end up with a newer power steering pump,and a crapped out steering box.

#12 ·
The oil has to be going somewhere huh...

There is a seal out somewhere and the fluid is either in the engine oil or the brake vacuum system, canisters or booster.

That pwr steer pump is attached to an aluminum housing called the "accessory drive support". There are several seals at the mounting locations of the steering pump and vacuum canister mounting points. To me there is no sense in taking that assembly apart if your not going to replace all of the seals in there, it is a PITA to take off the engine and equally challanging to take apart, with that in mind, there is no way I would tear that down and not replace all the seals. Believe it or not, the cheapest seal kit for those is available at Cummins, the last time I looked it was under $15ish. Or you can buy the seals individually. I have the FSM for that year Dodge Cummins truck and I have the part book for the Dodge Cummins engine if your looking for p/n's etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.