Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

B3.3 into Toyota Pickup... length?

17K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  steed 
#1 ·
I'd love to put a B3.3 into my 1992 Toyota pickup, but I'm worried about the overall length of the engine w/ the necessary adapters. I'm planning to just use my R150F transmission for as long as it'll hold up. This will be a daily driver and fuel economy is my primary goal.

If I've calculated correctly, it looks like the overall length of the engine from the crank pulley to the back of the bellhousing will be right at 34.5". This is calculated using the following:

Length of the B3.3: 27.7"
Phoenix Castings Adapters: 1.0"
Advance Adapters Bellhousing: 6.875"

That'll be about 7+ inches longer than that V6 that sitting in the truck now. Pushing the engine as far forward as I can, I'm afraid I'll still have to move my crossmember mounts 4-5" back - that is assuming I use my existing cross member.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a big deal or not?

Thanks,
-john

See less See more
#2 ·
Remember you can always box in the frame and make the motor mounts off the frame, thats what I did anyway. I used 2"x3" 3/16th sqaure tube and 1/4" flat plate to make my mounts.

#3 ·
Check. I'm more worried about running out of forward space in the bay for the fan and radiator.

I've been trying to see some pictures of 4BT installs in Toyota pickups. They must have the same space constraints. I even heard of somebody putting a 6BT in a Toyota!

If anyone who has done one of these is reading, any help is appreciated.

-john

#4 ·
Another side note, the main concern is the length measured from the rear valve cover to the engine fan. You can always lower or raise the position of the engine to help with front to back clearance since you have a transmission tunnel.

There are pics on this site of a guy that swapped a 4bt into a toyota truck and had enough clearance and the 4bt is bigger thatthe 3.3 by a good bit if I remember correctly.

#6 ·
I should have said it differently. I really don't expect the R150F to fail. The Toyota 1KZ-TE diesel engine puts out 125hp/218 ft. lbs in stock configuration and it is backed by the R150F tranny. The only reason I said "as long as it holds up" is because the power band is very different on the Toyota engine. It's a higher revving engine that doesn't have the low-end torque of the Cummins, but it's still a pretty powerful little booger.

I'll do some more measuring and guestimating. I'm trying to avoid having to do any kind of lift.

Thanks for the input.

-john

#8 ·
not gonna work, from what I understand not much interchanges from the 3.3 to the 6bt/4bt. phoenix castings is the place you want to talk to.

#10 ·
Dimensionally, the 4BT and 3.3 are mainly different height wise. The 4BT is only 2.5 in. longer than the 3.3 but 6.3 in. taller. The tranny most people use is a jeep AX-15 as it is pretty stout and phoenix castings makes a SAE #3 to SBC and a SBC to AX-15 adapters.

#11 ·
I have no problem babying mine. I'm shooting for fuel economy and durability. It's interesting what you say about the R150 and 5th gear. I've read that in a couple of places now, but I haven't seen any discussion of transmission problems on the Aussie web sites where these transmissions are run for long miles behind Toyota diesel engines.
-john

#13 · (Edited)
Ah, nice! So you think cutting into the firewall will be necessary? Are you thinking of doing that just to keep from pushing the engine too far forward in the engine bay? On my truck I only have a about 4" between the crossmember mounts and the torsion bar mounts, so think puts a limit on how much the crossmember mounts can move back.

And will the fuel filter fit under the hood? If necessary, I'm thinking I'd try to relocate the filter.

What year is your truck? Is it solid front axle or IFS.

#14 ·
I'm not certain cutting is necessary yet. I'm worried it will be though. I don't want to do a body lift. There will probably be some interference issues between the axle and oil pan. The engine is a fair amount taller than the 22re. I plan on relocating the filter.

My truck is an 85 4Runner.

#16 ·
Ax15

The Jeep AX15 is an Aisin Warner transmission very similar to the Toyota 5 speeds in the Toyota trucks & Supras. For example, I think it is possible to mix/match parts between the 2 to create a transmission that will bolt to a small block Dodge at the front and bolt to a Toyota transfercase in the rear, but I'm not absolutely sure. Phoenix Castings makes adapters that will bolt the B3.3 to the small block Dodge bolt pattern. I'm using an AX15 and Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 bellhousing with a PC Dodge adapter set in my conversion. I've attached a couple of links that may help.

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740&highlight=engine+swap+bellhousings

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2001_06.pdf

#17 ·
My truck is quite a bit different, but I'll let you know what I had to do....
84 Xtra Cab 4bt/T-18/Dana 300
Getting Linked/Coilovers Front and Rear

As I'm looking for maximum suspension articulation, I wanted as little axle to oil pan interference as possible. With minimum oil pan modification aswell.

The engine's head is just under and inch from the pinch weld near the top of the firewall. The firewall had to be clearanced for the adapter plate and bell housing. My entire bell housing is inside the cab, the whole thing is through where the firewall would be. The trans tunnel is splayed open aswell, the T-18 comes through the floor a bit. the pass floor will need to be sledged for the transfer case a slight amound and holes for the twin stick added, but should remain intact otherwise.

If a body lift was used this could have been minimized to an extent.... I'm trying to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, and i hate body lifts. I also wanted to have as much flex as possible.

With the firewall hacked there is about 5.5" of room for radiator and electric fans obviously with a 4bt. This may or may not work depending on your need for an intercooler. I'm still figuring out fittiment of my intercooler and such, worst case scenario the intercooler is going up front and the radiator will go into the bed with electric fans ala prerunner trucks. The clutch in use on a Ford 4bt is 11" and the small block bell housing is good size, I lack dimensions, sorry bud. It looked like it would fit alot better than it actually did :D But it's nothing that can not be overcome! It's only metal, they make more of it everyday. I'll try to get pictures up and added to my buildup asap, maybe tonight!

#18 ·
I have a 85 4runner as well and have been looking into KZ or cummins diesel swaps. Still collecting info and have a couple ideas or suggestions.
I believe the R150's and R151 can be pretty strong but most of them have a 150,000 to 300,000 miles on them and then get a different or new power plant in front of them and they blow up...:idea: Marlin Crawler sells Heavy Duty rebuild kits for these trannies with bigger bearings and retainers and such. Also, just a normal rebuild would help.

Regarding the length and radiator/intercooler issue. Has anyone looked at a supra radiator/intercooler? I don't know what the intercooled supra set up looks like, but I do know the 7mge-T has a thinner radiator that bolts right in a pickup...just a thought.

Interested in what you guys come up with.

Rob-

#19 ·
Sounds like a good truck for a 3.3 swap. I'm working on a S-10 3.3 myself.
On your length measurements; are you using the cummins fan? I figured on removing the stock cummins fan and using a couple of 12v electric fans. This should save several inches.
I would be concerned that a thinner radiator would not have enough cooling capacity. As far as intercoolers; the newer 2jz supras had factory side mount intercoolers but there are tons of aftermarket front mounts for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.