Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

a/c bracket

69K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Conchy Cracker 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm putting a "93" 6bt into a 1995 K-2500 with ifs and was wondering where to mount the a/c compressor.
I need to move it from the bottom to the top. Does anyone make a bracket for this?

#2 ·
You can try this bracket from the local Cummins dealer. I don't know the part number off the top of my head but this will locate the AC compressor up to help clear the frame.

You might want to check to make sure the relocated AC compressor clears your oil filter, It should. This is how it looks on the 4BT.

#5 · (Edited)
this is in a 1988 blazer k5, but should give you a good idea of placement...

the cast iron piece that bolts to the block is -- cummins 3930888
compressor (and application) is 1995 ford f800 w cummins 6bt
alternator is gm 22si, cummins pulley is 3918275
lower alt mount 3930820
tensioner is 3978021
tensioner mt(stock)--3930838

The alternator mt in pic I fabbed so I could keep stock dodge outlet, but stock piece looked just like it w/o hole, and no room for that style outlet
The tensioner bracket I fabbed for more clearance, could have just knocked corner off stock piece
The water inlet I fabbed to give me the most room, but I suppose I could have searched and found a short straight inlet, it was just faster for me to make one.

The whole setup fits great, no frame notching (which is a terrible idea on the 1/2 ton chevys or blazers IMHO), no body lift, fits under hood with lots of room.

#6 ·
Any Chance you can post the Sanden Model number of that Compressor?

this is in a 1988 blazer k5, but should give you a good idea of placement...

the cast iron piece that bolts to the block is -- cummins 3930888
compressor (and application) is 1995 ford f800 w cummins 6bt
alternator is gm 22si, cummins pulley is 3918275
lower alt mount 3930820
tensioner is 3978021
tensioner mt(stock)--3930838

The alternator mt in pic I fabbed so I could keep stock dodge outlet, but stock piece looked just like it w/o hole, and nor room for that style outlet
The tensioner bracket I fabbed for more clearance, could have just knocked corner off stock piece
The water inlet I fabbed to give me the most room, but I suppose I could have searched and found a short straight inlet, it was just faster for me to make one.

The whole setup fits great, no frame notching (which is a terrible idea on the 1/2 ton chevys or blazers IMHO), no body lift, fits under hood with lots of room.

#7 ·
SANDEN COMPRESSOR mod# U 46029 ser #002191306970--
I also forgot to post O ring numbers for between block and plate, and plate and water inlet--3906697
belt---serpentine 8 rib 72" long
hose inlet that is supposed to go with these brackets, (90 degreee forward with downward swoop, didn't clear frame) 3921382

I hope this helps, I spent quite a bit of time trying to track down all the numbers...cummins is a pain to deal with w/o an ESN, and all the other

All this info should help quite a few conversions, will all work on a 4bt--probabbly just need a remote oil filter adapter

#11 ·
HEy thanks for those Part numbers! I saw the one from Ford, its a bit pricey!! I have an email in to Sanden with that part number to get some specs on it. And hopefully I can find some cheaper alternatives.

#15 ·
Just got an email from Compressor Works in Texas. They say the Sanden for the ford f800 is 4602. Sanden says that is a vbelt compressor. waiting for a reply.

#21 · (Edited)
I am still looking for one of those relocation brackets if anyone has one or could make something like it, I would sincerly appreciate it, pay shipping and give you some cash. Cummins wants $150 ish and that is a bit steep for my budget on this truck, which is already several thousand over and $14K to go... Please help :)

Thanks!

#24 ·
I am still looking for one of those relocation brackets if anyone has one or could make something like it, I would sincerly appreciate it, pay shipping and hive you some cash. Cummins wants $150 ish and that is a bit steep for my budget on this truck, which is already several thousand over and $14K to go... Please help :)

Thanks!
If that's steep than you'll want to look at a different set up becuase you'll need more than just the bracket for A/C.

Scott

#22 ·

Thats how i feel too. Im still searching but raw data is hard to find. I looks like the 5.4liter triton F150 has an 8 groove pulley with a long guage line (PN 108225b but the mounting is all wrong) and they are cheap. Im about to build a bracket and say f*** IT. If thats where this goes Ill get them burned on the CNC Plasma and make a handful of them.

#23 · (Edited)
OK here is what I have found. These are the essentials for the frieghtliner mount:
Mounting Hole dimensions: horizontal distance between top holes: 87mm
Horizontal distance between bottom holes: 92mm
Vertical distance between holes (both are the same) 128mm
Pulley Stick Out (guage line) : 49.00mm

Sanden Part numbers that will work (there may be more but this is what i have found):
4474 ---3/4X7/8 female connections on the side in the rear on head
4417 & 4485 & 4818 -- Appear to be the same compressor all pad mount rear

All are availble on teh sanden website for $386.00

I will keep looking for more that are cheaper.

It doesnt look like the Dodge ram compressor will fit this mount at all. The 1994 era wont bolt up and the 2000 era has the wrong guage line.

All of this is based on sanden's drawings and i have not tried this in real life so take that into account.

Hear are a few more:

4432 --90degree pad mount

4666 & 4667 -- 3/4X7/8 reer exit male

#25 ·
Might have found a break through.

the sanden FLX-7 series. Its a universal customizeable compressor. it has its own pad with interchangeable connections, and electrical pigtails. Im talking to Cool Pro in Fortworth about getting one but they are about $160 bucks on Ebay. THey have 4 or so basic styles, and you customize the rest to fit your needs.

I will fill you in as info becomes available.

#28 ·
Crew Cab, I assume you were not trying to be a dick in that reply... But sure sounded like one. If you followed my build thread you would see that I have the full AC and everything out of my 95 Ram that I am installing into the 39 Dodge. It is just a hunk of metal it should not be that expensive, although I know they are sometimes. To make one would cost under $50 in steel.

Thinder let me know how it goes. I was just going to use the Sanden on that side.
If you are referring to the cast piece on the block...the steel itself may be less than 50, but i would like to see the cost of someone casting their own 1 off piece (or replicating it out of billet or plate)...and selling it to you for less than 150.:happyfinger:

I thought that part was actually very reasonable, especially compared to cost/time fabbing up satisfactory replacement. I thought the plate steel brackets were a little spendy, but the only real expensive part was the compressor--and hopefully thinder will solve that issue.

I myself am just looking for a used bracket--so if anyone has one, pm me:D

I didn't think crewcab sounded like a dick, just realistic...:beer::beer:

#29 ·
14K + and you cant fork out the 150 for a bracket. If you cannot afford the bracket, you cant afford the other ways Scott didnt post. You sir are the dick. If you ask for information and get answers, be thankful. These are not chevys where 55 vendors make the same part for $3.

How about investing in exce lessonsl, learn to budget for all these things that come with a custom build, and not take it out on those who offer to help.

Classy!

#31 ·
If it's not too late to throw in my 2 cents worth, the part number of the ac compressor in the photo is either Sanden 4474 or 7804. Both are model SD7H15 units and both have the oullets at about the 2 o'clock positiion if you are looking at the compressor from the rear. You can find these on ebay for $159. Just search for FordSterling ac. These are the compressors used on MD Ford and Freightliner trucks where you find this ac bracket. I have seen lots of B800 school buses that appear to have the same bracket but without the ac unit. They usually have an ac delete pulley in the space. Might check your local school bus garage and see if they have any scrapped engines that you might get parts from. As for the price of the bracket that is another story. I have talked to several MD and HD salvage yards and they seldom sell any parts off an engine. They prefer to sell the whole thing. I have seen some really neat things on engines like dual 8 groove fan pulleys and high mounts for twin ac compressors. Unfortunately you had to buy the whole engine to get them. I just looked at a highmount ac bracket for a sb ford and that was $384. $150 sounds kinda cheap to me.

#32 ·
Thank you for chiming in Bobs

In answer the question Crewcab, you sounded like I was too cheap to even be working on my truck... I have spent a lot of time and money working on it and I guess I took offense although I tried to give you the benifit of the doubt.

TnDonor, very uncalled for and rude, I am overbudget and trying to find ways to complete the truck with the limited funds I have. Unfortunatelly I am not indapendantly wealthy so i have to look for ways to save money, sorry if that offends you.

All I was asking for initially was to see if anyone had one of these brackets or knew of one that could be had for less than $150... I did not ask to get insulted or attacked

So with that, I guess no one has one, the going rate is cheap to everyone and I just have to figure out what I want to do. Thinder if you do end up fabbing some brackets please PM me as I would be interested in purchasing one.

Please just let this sleeping dog lie now, back to topic please

#33 ·
BobS isn't a " BabySitter " and if you think my answer is a problem than move on !

" If that's steep than you'll want to look at a different set up becuase you'll need more than just the bracket for A/C." Nobody attacked you ,you got back what you gave out ! Your new on here and and when you don't like the answer that was given you get half cocked.

1. If you did any searching you would found out that the Mid Mount A/C bracket isn't a cheap install so unless you found the brackets dirt cheap you need to look to the different A/C loction and mounting.
2. The tech section has all the other ways to mount the A/C from the cheapest to the high end Mid mount hince to " Quote ABove "

Scott

#35 ·
...Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one and they all stink.
Scott / Crewcab59 / Tennessee Diesel Conversions has contributed to this site in many ways. Personally, I value his opinion highly. When I first got my 4BT, I ordered my manuals, governor spring, KDP kit and filters from him.

I SENSE A TROLL. 1939 dodge does not want to discuss things in a civilized manner. Maybe it is time to ban him?

#40 · (Edited)
i dont mean to interrupt this lovely conversation but i had a question regarding the belt routing after putting one of the high mount compressor brackets on a 6bt. Is there enough belt coverage on the compressor pulley so that it doesn't squeal like crazy when the clutch engages when running this high mount compressor bracket? how are you going to route yours rube bonet? Does anyone have any pics of the belt routing with this setup on a 6b?

And is everyone having to fab their own water inlet neck or is there something available from cummins that will work with tight frame clearances?

Oh and rube bonet, you have saved lots of people a lot of time and aggravation by providing all of that info and those part numbers. Thank you!!

#41 ·
I was worried about not enough wrap on the ac compressor too, but it actually gives more than it looks like, see if I could find a pic with belt installed

Here is the belt routing diagram I found originally looking http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1dbbv-1999-ford-f800-5-9l-cummins-bet-diagram (it said you have to register now to see it)

and your welcome, I could find all kinds of posts alluding to it, and pics when I was looking for options, but not everything all in one place. I think it is an ideal solution for alot of different swaps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.