Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Renault diesel info?

43K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  renault 
#1 ·
Anybody know anything about the Reanult 4 cylinder turbo diesels that Winnebago used. There is one locally cheap, but I haven't been able to find much info on the motor (HP, reliabilty). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 ·
I knew a guy way back that had one, a Winnebago Lesharo, had nothing but problems with it, the fact that it happened back in the '80 when Diesels got a bad rep didn't help any, I lost contact with him, It's been a long time......

Dslsmoke

#6 ·
I don't know what Renault deisel they used in the motorhomes but I was a Jeep mechanic and have had a little experience with the 2.1 L they used in the Jeeps.

On the Jeeps as long as you kept up with the maintanence and changed the timing belt at Renualt's suggested intervals (I think I remember 80,000 Kms) they were pretty reliabe.

But they were EXTREMELY under powered they could barely move the Comanche's and Cherokee's they were put in, the only way to get any power from them was to hold the engine on the govenor and power shift it (oh and they were so gutless they did not offer an auto tranny behind the deisel).

Even the Jeep, Renault engine is impossible to find parts for now. Chrysler no longer supports any parts for it and there is no Renault in North America.

#7 ·
The Renault 2.1l Turbo Diesel that was used in the 83-?89? Winnebago LeSharo and the 85-86 Jeep Cherokee/86-87 Comanche, was called the J8S engine. It was rated at 85hp/132ftlb. They are SOHC, all aluminum, with drop in/wet cylinder liners, and a Bosch VE rotary pump. Renault used them in about 9 or ten platforms on the UK. Nearly all engine parts are avalible through Mobility RV in Iowa, and them alone. I own a 85 Cherokee with a factory Renault J8S that I have been digging for parts and coming up empty handed. I found a new old stock timing belt for $48 that is listed on eBay UK for $24. If someone could find a parts source in the UK that was willing to ship to the US, these engine would be much more feasible for a swap. They were offered with a 3spd auto in the Cherokee, but from the people that I have spoken to that have owned or driven them, they strongly reccomend the 5spd manual. They seem to be prone to timing belt failures that generally end in broken rockers, that cost about $160 each. My Cherokee has 88,000 miles, 5 broken rockers and a bad cam. The only reason I got into this project is that I came across a LeSharo J8S motor with 86,000 miles that runs for free. I dont know what bellhousing pattern they use, so I cant say if the will bolt to anything other than the Jeep AX5, or the LeSharo FWD 4 and 5 speeds. The people that have good luck with these engines like to tinker with them, and swear by the 4 step head bolt torque sequence. If anyone else has any need for info, I will pass along all that I have.

#9 ·
I just talked to a guy about a mechanics special Jeep Cherokee with the 2.1L Renault tonight, I was hoping it was something do-able but he thinks it didn't get enough anti-freeze and froze and broke something.

#12 ·
IIRC this engine is aluminum. If you run coolant without enough anti freeze around here your in for big trouble. It was -1 F here this morning, and well below that yesterday, if you have never experienced that your missing out on one of lifes truly amazing experiences...

#13 ·
My friend bought one of them thar......... diesels winnies, weak slow and cant get parts for it....Her first trip from Eagle River to Fairbanks Alaska, and back was enough for her to get rid of it.... thru fan belt near Talkeetna!! Overheated and ran battery dead. Could not find a belt around Talkeetna, She hitched a ride back to Wasilla, found all auto parts stores closed as it was sunday late. Bummed a ride back to Eagle River. Spent nite....... Mon got new belt, well she had to buy about four or five to make sure she got the right one. She didnt make it to Fairbanks drove back ER and put up for sale........ Reanulte NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jim

#14 ·
Hello all,
I to ended up with a Renualt diesel powered Winnie in my storage yard. After aquiring the title, i pulled the engine and found water intrusion in one cylinder. So now what to do. I need a liner and piston and some other parts. Or...... just sell it broke or sell the engine parts and repower it with gas. No real money invested as of yet.
All ideas wanted, LOL Have pictures of engine, have lots of parts if someone needs them. You tell me..........
305-395-0965
Keyskeet

#15 ·
why not to repower it with a volkswagen diesel? the 2.1L renault is rated at 57hp without turbo while a vw 1.9sdi (non-turbo) is rated at 64hp, and replacement parts are more easily avaliable... or you could already go with a tdi... btw in its last production years in argentina the diesel versions were offered with diesels supplied by volkswagen...

about gassers: there was a kit to adapt chrysler's minivans v6 engines into them (i actually believe a chevy gasser would be better than a chrysler, but i still would prefer a diesel)...

#17 ·
I'm going to wait a few weeks but leaning toward a V6 chevy gas, if I do repower.
which one are you considering, the 60-degree v6 or the vortec 4300? btw the renault transmission is enought strong, there are some ford gt40 replicas made in south africa using renault transmissions (the same used in the 1st-gen renault trafic and longitudinally-engined versions of the renault 21, a.k.a. amc medallion) mated to ford v8 engines...

#21 ·
the transmission used in those vans is beefy enought but a renault trafic with a 4bt would be too much heavy over the front-end... weight balance would be like crap... they were developed to have small, car engines, from the 1.4L gasser to the 2.1L diesel... i would avoid anything bigger than a volkswagen 3.0L v6 tdi on them due to weight balance...

#27 ·
more power, yes... better mpg maybe, since they would work less overcharged by the vehicle's weight, but since the 4cyl tdi is widely used in commercial vehicles with simillar gvw in overseas markets i would not be so sure about the v6's advantages...

#29 ·
you can use the renault transmission with no worry at all, except if you could find any usdm transmission for a longitudinally-engined fwd car such as a volkswagen quantum but i believe these ones are pretty rare back there in the u.s., but i have already seen some trafics with the whole setup out of quantum wagons... btw the renault transmission is strong enought to be mated to a v8, so don't worry about reliability...

#31 ·
renault

Renault owns Mack and Volvo trucks it is the second biggest truck builder in the world behind Mercedes. When I need Renault parts I usually get them from a mack dealer or certain indipendent dealers such as Greeley truck parts or Transwest all truck parts.

#32 ·
Renault owns Mack and Volvo trucks it is the second biggest truck builder in the world behind Mercedes.
actually both mack and renault vehicules industrielles are both subsidiaries of volvo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.