Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4-53; 1950 Chevy 3800

67K views 169 replies 29 participants last post by  454cid 
#1 ·

got this for really cheap otherwise it would have been scrapped, still runs great and had a new water pump put on it, eventually would like to put it in a late 40's or early 50s chevy 1 ton flatbed, curious if anyone has any info on bellhousings etc. to mate a sm 465 to it?

See less See more
#38 ·
I went to the BilletLess show in Antioch Ca. over the weekend. There was a chopped '56 Ford Pickup with a huge tank in the bed and a single stack behind the drivers door...

Upon closer inspection, there was a rather large lump under the hood.... Imagine my surprise when it revealed itself...

Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it scream!

#39 ·
That's different. Looks like it even has independent front suspension, wonder what from?
Curious what his mileage is? Range should be pretty good with that size tank, guessing 70+ gallons?

Grigg

#49 ·
Wouldn't be a guy by the name of Tyrone Mallone driving it would it? We had a guy come up here from the South 48 states with a truck for exhibition, IIRC it had a V12 Detroit in it (the one he brought) but he supposedly had a twin engined one stateside (and a jet powered one too for that matter :D ).
no, different bloke. 2 8v92's joined together.

#44 ·
Truck looks like a 48-50 one ton Chevy right?

With those axles the wheels will stick out of the fenders a good bit, is that OK?

Browse through my 4-53T diesel conversion webshots album, as what I have done to fit the 4-53T in my 48 two ton is about the same stuff you will encounter with your engine swap, the engine compartments and front portion of the frames are all but the same between our two trucks. It's going to be a lot of work.

What are your plans for the truck, how will you use it?

Grigg

#51 · (Edited)
hey its been a while, i got my engine cleaned up, and im trying to plan the mock up, but i have a small issue with the gamma goat flywheel housing i got. im putting the sm 420 that i got with it in this truck, though the mounts hang a little too low. i dont know whether to hack them off or if theres a way i can still use the flywheel housing thats on there problem with that is that its too deep, heres some pics, i know theyre a little dark, ill try and get some better ones

gama goat flywheel housing

GG flywheel

original flywheel housing

GG sm 420 bellhousing

#53 · (Edited)
It might be best to find an SAE to GM pattern clutch housing to use with that transmission and the flywheel housing you have now, then use the side mounts on the flywheel housing, and not use the GG parts.
Or if you do use it are there some unused bolt holes on both sides of the block that could be used for side engine mounts?

Will a direct drive 4 speed accomplish what you want to do with the truck? Or will you be better off with another gear or two and an OD?

--edit-- Looking back I did recommend the GG parts as an easy way to mount the SM420 on a Detroit, and they are.. What I didn't know or think of is there could be problems with engine mounts..
Also it was only a few months ago that I learned of the SAE#3 clutch housing to adapt to a GM manual transmission. This clutch housing/adapter would let you use the SAE flywheel housing engine mounts.
Goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat (or a Detroit)

Grigg

#54 ·
Goes to show there's more than one way to skin a cat (or a Detroit)
Grigg
And for the 3rd and 4th way..
This is a Detroit "two piece automotive" rear engine/gear cover and bellhousing.

Above is the large GM version (click and see more views of it) It also fits a small Spicer transmission, possibly others.
Below is the small GM version

Both have the SM420 or SM465 bolt pattern, the center hole diameter is usually 5.125, which fits the SM465 and T5 transmissions among others.
The flat gear cover is the same for both. The special Detroit made bellhousings interchange, but different flywheels are used.
The flywheel for the small GM two piece automotive housing is supposed to be the same as used on the Gama Goat engine.
Detroit also made a bellhousing to use ford transmissions with this system.

#55 ·
Whew... we sure have a lot of trans options with an inline 53 series Detroit. Also, you're steadily becoming quite the repository of Detroit swap info Grigg, keep up the good work.

I've got a start on my setup, SAE#2 flywheel housing, #2 clutch housing and rebuilt OD and DD versions of the IH light-med duty 5-speed(T34 and T35).

I also have a #4 clutch housing for NP pattern(actually the whole setup with an NP4530 close-ratio 4-speed), so if there is a #4 flywheel housing for the 53 series then there's another option out there. Can't use a very big clutch with #4 but it'd do for a 3 or 2-53.

Ken

#56 ·
cool thanks for the info guys, ill try and work with this thing if i can if not, try and search for another flywheel housing, my original plan was to convert my truck to 4wd, hence the t case drive shaft would intersect thru the motor mount, also Grigg, what kind of hydro boost system are you running? thanks again

#57 ·
here are some photos of where im at on my 3800, i came up with the idea of removing the rubber mounts on the bellhousing and fabricating a crossmember, then having the rubber mounts on the crossmember to the frame, almost making the crossmember part of the bellhousing and some better pics of the bellhousing/flywheel, etc

#59 ·
I used a hydrobooster and MC form a 2004 F350, and I have disc large brakes front and rear. I modified the pedal bracket to fit it, but next time I'll make a bracket to mount the booster and MC inside the frame rail a good bit behind the pedal assembly then run a longer pushrod back to it.

Have you planned your exhaust yet? You probably don't want the blower and the exhaust on the same side, it may be tight on room getting the exhaust out of the engine compartment. Also would be helpful to have the starter on the opposite side from the exhaust.

Grigg

#60 ·
Yeah I was thinking about that as well, right now the way it will be set up is the starter and blower are on the pass side, the exhaust manifold I have now was originally facing upward, I was thinking of turning it upside down, but I would then have to machine a spacer to clear the head

#61 ·
You may want to trade your exhaust manifold for one that points straight out like this one, then adapt it as needed.

#63 ·
update

finally got the motor painted and halfway assembled, new flywheel housing mocked up, i took the motor mounts off the bottom and it really helped with the clearance for fabbing a crossmember, i still need to order couple other things (tax return) before i mock it up on the frame

#66 ·
This may be a silly question, but why does your engine say General Motors Diesel on it, and others say Detroit Diesel?

Looks like an awesome project you have their.
Nice looking motor you have their, it looks great in silver and black

K-TRON

#68 ·
In the beginning what we now call "detroit diesels" were made by General Motor's "GM Diesel Division" starting about 1938 when engines were first offered for sale.
  • In 1965 "GM Diesel" became the "Detroit Diesel Engine Division"
  • In 1970 GM combined/added the transmission and gas turbines and formed the "Detroit Diesel Allison Division"
  • In 1988, Penske and General Motors split off the diesel engines from the transmissions and called it "Detroit Diesel"
  • In 2000 DaimlerChrysler bought "Detroit Diesel" and it is now a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler.

The 53 series engines were introduced in 1958, so the engine in question (or at lest the valve cover) was made between 1958 and 1965 and labeled "General Motors Diesel".
Engines after the name change in 1965 would be labeled "Detroit Diesel".

At least that's how I understand it,
Grigg

#69 ·
Going back and looking at the serial number posted earlier #4D-29373 indicates it's a 1966 engine.

Must have taken some time to implement the name change after they decided in 1965. It would make sense to use the leftover parts until they were gone then make and use the parts with the new name.

Grigg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.