Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Bosch A Pump more fuel

16K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  GLTHFJ60 
#1 ·
I have an Iveco Truck with an Deutz Air Cooled 6.1L inline engine. It has 160hp and i want-need more power.
My first question is how to turn up the Bosch A pump ? I havent found anything that realy helps me with the injection pump. I found instruction how to turn up the VE and P pump but nothing really about the A.
I would be very lucky if someone got instruction with pictures how to turn up the A pump
Also what do I need to do for little bit more rpm ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You should be able to get some ideas in the Isuzu section, the pumps the 4BD series run are licensed copies of the A pump.

The external adjustments that I know of on mine are the full load (aka "more power screw") idle and high speed (defuel) limit screws.

There is a link in my sig for one of them.

The other two, on the Isuzu variants I've seen are next to each other by where the accelerator control connects to the governor, but your governor looks different in your pic (from what I can see), do you have any other pictures of your pump and governor?

#6 ·
It's the governor on the back of the pump that's the problem. Are there any identifying tags?

Usually once you can ID the governor, you can find cutaway pictures or diagrams which show which adjustment is hidden where. Otherwise you'd have to start by removing all the wire seals and see what is under them.
Yeah, that's the rub, it looks like the accelerator linkage is on the side of the governor with an external return spring.

Are there any adjustment screws there?

Do you have a view of the data plate on the pump?

Should be able to suss out what you need to know from that.

Any idea how much power you are looking for?

#5 ·
It's the governor on the back of the pump that's the problem. Are there any identifying tags?

Usually once you can ID the governor, you can find cutaway pictures or diagrams which show which adjustment is hidden where. Otherwise you'd have to start by removing all the wire seals and see what is under them.

#11 ·
I don't have any experience with your exact governor. But essentially this is how it works.
The governor controls the rack movement (fuel delivery) up to two stops. A full load stop, which is likely the top bolt with the two jam nuts, and if a boost compensator is fitted, it has another movable stop which makes contact before the full-load stop when there is no boost.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

#12 ·
Before you turn the screw, you might check to make sure the boost compensator isn't ruptured or otherwise leaking.

Apply a small amount of vacuum to the inlet line of the boost compensator, if it holds it's ok, if not you will probably want to fix that before cranking the fuel up.

Good luck, if you don't have a pyrometer you will want one before you start turning the screws on the pump. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.