Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Has anyone done a John Deere swap?

59K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  edpruss 
#1 ·
I was searching the site and I haven't seen any completed Deere swaps. I saw questions about people using them but that is it. I was just wondering, if anyone has done one if they could post some pics. and/or info about it. Thanks.

#4 ·
I heavily considered using a JD 4045 (4.5L) when doing a diesel swap. Since I didnt have an engine, getting a 4bt was a cheaper option for me. I still want to do a JD engine swap someday when I have more time and resources. I think it would be awesome to have a JD powered truck. Keep us posted if you decide to do it.

#6 ·
Sorry but I don't know about another engine for sale. The 5030 engines are used in generators, skid steers, and some smaller tractors. From what I have seen they are rated from I think about 70-100 hp with the 100hp version having around 250ft-lb's of toruqe. They are also air-air aftercooled (100hp model). The engines weigh 633lbs dry according to spec sheets. My guess is it would work pretty good in a lighter weight vehicle just don't expect to break speed records. I could be wrong though. I want to put mine in an S-10 4x4 for highway and some off-roading. I will be doing a complete teardown of mine to clean the internals in a couple weeks so I will take some pics.

#9 ·
Well I finally started taking the engine apart. I took some pictures as I went. So far everything looks good; no deep scratches in the cylinder walls from the broken turbo. I do still need a replacement turbo though. Does anyone have some suggestions? I know this engine can produce at least 100hp but I would like some more. Rated speed is 2,800 rpm, 3.0L. I was thinking maybe a 3.9 Cummins turbo with a 9cm housing. Any thoughts?

#35 ·
JD swap Guys, I have done a John Deere swap. I've got a 4045 in a 1995 Chevy K3500 pickup on the road and running. I'll be glad to answer any questions. Roger
Jd swap I could really use your contact I've been trying to get a list together for everything needed to do a swap into a 79 square body chevy k20! I already have the engine haven't decided on a transmission Anyway I could get a hold of you and ask some questions

#15 ·
John Deere powered Chevy

I have up loaded a few pictures in my album. My conversion uses a JD 4045T engine coupled to the original 4L80E trans running 4.11 rear ends. I wanted the truck to look as original as possible. To avoid putting a hood scoop the IFS had to be removed and replaced with a solid axle to get oil pan clearance. Roger

#17 ·
front axle swap

Dan I used a front axle from a mid 70s 3/4 ton. I didn't modify the axle at all. I had to modify the transfer case to a RH drive shaft. I also relocated the steering gearbox to the outside of the frame. If I had chosen to go with 2 wheel drive I would not need the notch in the oil pan. Roger

#19 ·
The engine had about 5 hours on it when removed from a 650H crawler. I replaced the flywheel and housing with a SAE #4 housing and used a Phoenix adapter to couple the engine to the trans. I added three new pictures showing the adapter. The pictures in the album are cropped to reduce size. I'll email larger ones if you are interested. Roger

#20 ·
I was impressed by the Deere 5030, too. The numbers look good, the design is very clean, and its sounds are quite impressive. However, I am not aware of any 5030 engines used in automotive applications which spooked me. I would be all ears if somebody does a Deere 5030 & compact pickup swap.

FYI - Regarding the original post, I have seen a JD 414 industrial engine put in an early-80s F250. The owner was pleased as punch when I cocked my head and said, "That doesn't sound like a 6.9...what engine is it?" He popped the hood for me and I saw that it was a tight fit.
Also, I believe that there is a guy running in my area who mated an early-90s F150 with a 4.5 Deere. I believe that engine would be a load for the F150 front suspension but I guess he made it fit. He has a Deere Diesel Power decal on the tailgate.

#21 ·
I have just acquired a JD 4045TF270 out of Genie Telehandler. Love the numbers and would like to make them larger. The Bell Housing is a #4. I lucked out with it being out of a Pole crushed equipment with the engine intacted from Radiator to Flywheel and only had 1192 hours on it with no play in the turbo shaft. I am putting it in my Jeep Wrangler.
Still not sure of the Trans and Xcase combo

#23 ·
John Deere!

Way to go!!!

Now lets see a "VIDEO" on this contraption! bouncebouncebounce

Do one with a "Walk around" and then one going down the road!!!

what kinda fuel mileage do you get out of curiousity?:beer::beer:
Thanks
Larry

#25 ·
Hello, I'm new here. I completed a 4045t swap in my F250. I love it , haven't got the mileage where I want it . I was getting 24 mpg in town but had to swap the IP cause it was scored and lost pressure after it warmed up. Only getting 21mpg in town now. need to verify timing is dead on then have pump adjusted for economy not power.

#26 ·
Here's a photo of the IP on my 4045T (4045TF150A) You can see the timing mark on the mounting flange.
There is also an adjustment which is centered inside where the injection lines come out. Has a knurled edge and a
small stop nut up against it. Function? I don't have a book on this pump yet. I'd like to know what adjustments are possible, and what
problems (if any) I might anticipate. Also interested in any information about the pencil injectors.

I am in the parts collecting stage of my swap into a 1983 Chev 3/4T 4x4 which
had a 6.2 in it. JD8020 has been a great help to me in sorting out some swap details. Pump Auto part Engine Machine Automotive engine part

#27 ·
4045 into CUCV

I have also long contemplated a 4045 swap instead of a 4BT. It seemed to me like they were the same engine, as I also have a 5.9 Deere motor, which I always assumed was a Cummins - even sounds the same. But apparently it's just ironic.

Regardless, the 4045 is readily available in my area for much cheaper than a 4BT, making it worth the extra effort to use it instead. I'm going to be re-powering my 1986 K30 4x4 CUCV with a 4BT or maybe a 4045 JD. I'm curious as to:

-What mileage people have gotten with the 4045

-What tranny did you use? (I'm using TH400)

-Axle gearing AND tire size

-Dyno numbers?

-Youtube links?

#28 ·
Well after Not seeing any pictures of videos I bought a surplus generator about six months ago that has a JD 3.9T engine in it with under 100 hours on the engine! I hoping to find a 50's or 60's half ton pickup to do the conversion in!
Right now its Winter and the generator is buried under 6 inches of snow!
Waiting for Spring!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.