Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

What came with the 4BT back in '95

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mobetta 
#1 ·
Due to smog rules I've got to use in my case a '95 or newer but, I don't want to use later than '96 because it would have to be smoged every year. Therefore as I start the search for a donor, what vehicle(s) did the 4BT come in back in '95-'96?

#2 ·
PE, I ran in to the same problem here (Alaska) with emissions testing a swap several years ago, I ultimately resolved it by choosing an older swap recipient.

Best of luck. :)

Oh, if you want, the NPR Isuzu and W4xxx series of GM "Forward Control" cab over trucks came with the 4BD2-TC Isuzu for power, they even had an overdrive auto (that particular trans is much maligned, I believe with the engine properly producing power, an external trans cooler and filter a stock Jatco should last indefinitely with proper maintenance when loaded to anything less than he NPR's 14,500Lb gross weight rating).

#3 ·
... what vehicle(s) did the 4BT come in back in '95-'96?
Step vans - Look for retired bread trucks, chip trucks and maybe a parcel delivery truck. Note that UPS scraps all their old trucks, consequently, the UPS motors are very scarce on the used parts market.

Make sure that the engine that you by has a legible EPA sticker that states that the engine meets the EPA on-road requirements for the specified year of manufacture.

EPA off-road engines from agricultural and construction equipment will not meet the requirement.

NOTES: The EPA on-road engines are not legal in light duty vehicles. There are more details somewhere on this site.

#4 ·
NOTES: The EPA on-road engines are not legal in light duty vehicles. There are more details somewhere on this site.
Russ, excellent point!

I assumed (yes, ass you me, duh :emb: ) that the OP would be familiar with the "light duty" vs "medium duty" emissions regs, I should have asked.

#6 ·
Trying to pinpoint a 4bt that was made between 95-96 may not be an easy task. If you find a possible engine run the serial # past Cummins and they can tell you all about it, date of manufacture, epa certification, etc. If it didn't have a serial # I'd pass on it. Every states rules seem to be different. Some have no regulations at all. Also the older the vehicle the more latitude you'd have in an engine search.

#7 ·
My 95 build Ppump engine was in an Oshkosh built stepvan, I think the same chassis/sheet metal as the freightliner. FLH?

Judging by the layers of vinyl lettering on it, This truck was FedEx ground,then RPS(roadway) before it hit the auction block, where the fella I bought it from picked it up for about $1600.

While ups does have contracts with wrecking yards to destroy it's fleet vs resale, I have talked with a wrecker who would be more than happy to sell me an engine, axle, transmission.

#9 ·
My van was an 89 model year and the 4BT I pulled out of it was a 93 Recon. Find a 95-96 Recon tag and stick it on the 4BT of your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.