Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Custom AC compressor Bracket

34K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  char1355 
#1 ·
I made an AC compressor bracket and i figured i would post it in its own thread. The AC has proved as hard as anything in the rest of my swap.

The mount is for a Sanden 7320 8 groove Compressor. Turns out Sanden's measurement of the mounting holes was incorrect, so be careful and measure everything yourself.

I had all the metal cut and holes drilled and tapped on the base plate at a shop in San Marcos, TX. Then made the alternator piggyback mount at home.

Then I ordered some hard ac compressor lines from nostalgic air parts and got some o-ring to flare adapters to use the factory Wagoneer #8 and #10 hoses. I replaced the evaporator, drier and expansion valve.

Getting it charged tomorrow. we will see what i screwed up then.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice..next summer will be cooler.

#5 ·
i dont know what setup you have, but I lied to you in my PM, the bottom bracket (really just a piece of flatstock about 2" long) was the factory one. I just had to clock it a little, then when you take the top bracket off it will just swing out into that spot. There is just as much clearance as before as the ALT just swung away from the engine a bit.

#8 ·
Thinder, did you end up running that thermostat housing or switch to a vertical?

#10 ·
I'd like to see another picture of your belt set up..
.Mt 4BT is in a 72 Bronco and my alt. is up high also. I don't think I have room on top of the alt and under the hood. I'd like to see how the belt went around you alt and you compressor . Do you not have P.S.

#12 · (Edited)
The bottom alt. mount is on the water inlet. stock location. Thinder rotated it CCW and down, if he rotated it back up it would bolt right up to the stock alt. mount. Papitt you would have the room to do it, I do. Might lose some fender tho.

I mounted mine above IP and is v belt driven instead of serp. I wanted the option of not rolling it constantly.

View attachment 13208 View attachment 13209

#13 ·
redhedbronco, how do you tension the V-belt? That looks very close to what I have in mind, but it looks hard-mounted: no slack in the mount to allow the V-belt to be tightened up.

#14 ·
Thats all the pics I have. I sold the truck last Oct. But Redhead is right about how its the factory lower bracket, with the alt just rotated outboard. You probably have the room, it doesnt stick up past the valve covers.

#15 · (Edited)
Ryan, it is hard mounted, I had a tight belt on it, would get it about half way(lil more) over the top and roll motor over to flip it into sheave(sometimes). Was going to put a springed idler arm off the bottom(loose) side. This went to the back burner since I moved away from Vegas, dont even use AC anymore. Never took a pump apart and didnt know if I could rotate rear housing 90 degrees(bolt pattern looks like you can) I would have liked to use four bolts(instead of 2) like Thinders but would have put ports into IC piping on one side and rocker cover on the other. A hinged bracket wouldnt have worked for me either with the real estate issue(IC piping/rocker/hood) The tapered allen screws look sharp and might help on clearance issues. Anybody rotate the rear housing on an AC pump? Does gasket need to be replaced?

#16 ·
Thanks for the pictures of yours Redhedbronco .. I had gone out this evening an placed my compressor on both sides of my motor. Due to the fact that I have my air inlet tube bent around the front of my motor. I did not have any room for a compressor . My Alt in moved up to the center of pass side. So ther was no room on pass side either . I'll go back for a 2nd look over the injection pump tomorrow night

#17 ·
If your turbo/intake plenum tube runs around the front you probably dont have room on either side. You probably routed it that way for hood clearance but if you run tube back towards firewall over 4th rocker to intake it will clear your hood and free up room up front.

#18 ·
Papitt,

Im not terribly far from you. Im down in San Marcos. If you need a hand let me know. I have the Cad drawings of my mount and an extra 7320 Compressor laying around.

#20 ·
Man I went to the shop and looked at mine this evening. I guess it can be routed around the back of the motor. But there is about 2 1/2 and the tubes are 2 inches. Also it looked like it'd be really close to the exhaust. Maybe 2 inches over the exhaust is that enough room.

#24 ·
Any interference going over the top of the rear rocker cover?

#21 · (Edited)
Thinder, can you email me your CAD drawing of the mount bracket? Any format is fine, as I've got access to a few different programs. If you still have that Sanden I might be interested in that too. My email is wthomps79 at g mail. I really need to get my 10 posts lol. I guess thats what I get for lurking for 2 years.

#30 ·
I called them this morning - wholesale only - closest rep is Phoenix, 200 miles away.

#25 ·
Hey Guys, Im in the middle of a huge house remodel and im searching for those drawings. I have a handfull of computers that are all covered in plastic in my office. They are on one of those, Sorry im taking so long.

#27 ·
I just finished a setup very similar to this. I do have some belt slippage. I believe it is on the alternator. It is a used compressor that I got for mock-up so that could be some of the problem too. Also, the parts store only had a 6 rib belt, going to get an 8 rib today to eliminate that issue. I will let you know what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.