Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

6.2 swap into a toyota land cruiser...bellhousing/flywheel questions

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hansh 
#1 ·
i just traded my 4bd1t powered fj60 for an fj40...the next day the engine dropped a valve. Now i'm in the need of another engine.

Someone local has a 6.2.

The adapter kits to hook a SBC up to my stock land cruiser 3 speed tranny uses a stock SBC bellhousing.

Where can i find a flywheel for a GM6.2 and can i use any GM bellhousing that uses a 11" 163 tooth flywheel on the 6.2?

I've heard about having to grind out some meat of gasser bellhousings to fit the nose of the diesel starter

#2 ·
6.2 is external balanced. A 6.2 specific flywheel must be used. Last time i checked you could get a new flywheel at Autozone for around $165.
Used ones can be found $75 to $125
I once placed a wanted ad at dieselplace.com, and someone sold me a flywheel for a reasonable price.

Sometimes the bell housing might have to be ground, or you may luck out.
The newer 28MT reduction style starter has a smaller nose than the old ones. You must get a different rear hanger bracket for the newer starter. You really can't go without that bracket the goes to the block on these engines or the nose will eventually break.

Good thing you're using a stock bell housing. The AA and Downey bell housings holes for the starter nose are too small.

Welcome to the world of Cruising a 6.2!

#3 ·
Might be easier and cheaper to use a GM transmission and transfer case....

Chevy small block bellhousing will bolt up to the 6.2, but I do not know about the starter. The 700R4 automatic case I am using in my Jeep conversion was from a gasser and the starter fit with no modifications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.