Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4BT Engine Quiet Kit

10K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  brobrad 
#1 ·
I just wanted to start a thread on sound deadening blankets I’ll be getting for my truck in the next few months. I just arrived to RC South, Afghanistan so Unorthodox Customs in Puyallup Washington will be doing the work.

A few weeks ago I was searching for something I can mount underneath my hood to help quiet my engine a little. I came across Advanced Thermal Products http://www.atpwrap.com/ APT currently has a quiet kit for the Cummins 6.7 http://www.atpwrap.com/html/dodge67cummins2009.html as well as the ISB 5.9 the kits consist of blankets that attach under the hood, valve cover, oil pan, exhaust manifold and turbo. I don’t know the dB reduction.

Anyways they currently don’t have anything for the 4BT so in Dec, unorthodox customs will remove my oil pan, valve cover, turbo, down pipe, and center dump exhaust manifold and ship them to APT to build a custom setup for my Tacoma.

I know a lot of people will like there 4BTs a little quieter and hopefully this kit will dramatically reduce engine noise, my Tacoma is very poorly insulated. Because of this my Tacoma should demonstrate how well this kit works.

The kit is pricy but hopefully if the dB is reduced enough in my Tacoma, that it might build enough interest for 4BTSwaps to have a group buy for other members of the site. Just FYI I am not affiliated with this company, nor will I receive any kick backs from them. I just wanted to pass this information along and once the kit gets put on my Tacoma I’ll update this thread with pictures and if I can find them a dB meter ill get before and after dB rating.

Steed

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm interested in hearing how much of a difference this kit makes. Any chance we could get videos before and after from inside + outside the truck?

#9 ·
Here is the price list the company’s president Tim Thompson sent me

4BT Quiet Kit:
1 Center mount low mount turbo $325.00
1 Valve Cover $150.00
1 Oil Pan Cover $300.00

1 Down Pipe Cover $100
Total: $775.00

like I said before its expensive, but right now the inside of my truck is so loud I have to blast my stereo to here and talking is pretty much out of the question unless you yell. That’s mainly because I have very little insulation in my truck right now.

I don’t know if he’ll lower the price for a group buy, but most places would if you can get a nice hand full of people to get a big order.

After they get my parts they’ll be able to make a blanket for a HE351VE, center dump manifold, valve cover and the oil pan. My pan has been modified to clear my axle and a turbo drain was added, so if anyone has a modded pan like me you’ll have to send them yours.

#14 ·
While the prices seem high, if they have a significant dampening effect then it'll be worth it.

Looking forward to testing results!

#12 ·
Ive heard that manifold, turbo, and downpipe blankets will noticeably lower egt's... Looks as if the heat normally put off by the exhaust side is routed away from the engine bay and might balance out the gained heat from the other engine covers. No personal experience but interested in trying something when I wrap my project up

#13 ·
.. I was all worried about mine before I GOT it up an running .. Now 2 years later I never even notice it being loud .. Now I don't notice it being as loud as my 2000 dodge tr. If you can understand that I am used to my 2000 24 valve tr.
... I did not just step out of cheby gas tr. I've been in diesels truck for a while 91...93.. and now a 2000..and this farm 4BT FOR FUN MOSTLY ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.