Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Converting a 47RE tranny into a 47RH?

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  txs 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a 47RE transmission into a 47RH? I am planning a 4bt swap and would like to use a 47RH but I have found many more 47RE. I dont want to have any computers in my project if possible.

Thanks,

Andy

#3 ·
I had a RE and had my trans guy swap out the valve body to a RH and it worked fine. I used the RE case because it has a casting boss for the shifter cable bracket

#4 ·
the RE and RH cases are the same where the od unit bolts on, most of the re OD piston retainers will need to be swapped out for an RH retainer that has the holes reamed for the governor pressure tubes, intall that and the 518- 618-46 and 47RH Od unit bolts right on the 47RE tranny. The 47re has a larger hole for the electrical connector that goes through the case, re trannies are 8 pin, 518 and 46-47rh are 2 and 3 pin, depending on whether you have lockup or not. I would use a l/u gasser 518-46rh valve body with the RE OD and LU selenoid bolted on, use the three wires from the selenoids to tie into your harness. ain't but 3 springs difference between the gasser and diesel bodies.

#5 ·
So, if I understand you right, I can take the 46RH OD unit from my 1994 5.2 ZJ and bolt it on my 2000 47RE tranny out of a dodge cummins, swap the in the RH piston retainers and the valve body, change some governor weights, use the 47RE 6bt torque converter, and I should be off to the races with a hydraulically controlled tranny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.