Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Grid Heater

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mineitnow 
#1 ·
Did anyone's 4bt come with a stock grid heater? I took the VP from Cummins off-road engineering for a ride the other week and he was looking at my engine. He said that the spacer on my intake is where a grid heater usually goes and he was surprised mine didn't have one. I do have the stock block heater.

Anyone running a grid at all? Wondering if it's something I should invest in. Its getting colder and my Jeep doesn't fit in the garage. Will the block heater be enough?

#2 ·
#3 ·
All 4bt air to air all came with the spacer , they use the block heater for a starting aid .The 5.9 heater will bolt right on but will have to be a 1st gen or from 98-2002 , because the 94-97 were 1 piece heater and intake plate.

The 4bta water aftercooled could have a have a heater installed under the cooler or the newer 2 piece remove the spacer and install the heater .

Scott

#4 ·
Thanks... I'll see if I can't find one, and pick up a 15 second relay and go from there. Now that its cold out, it's not firing as quickly as it was when it was warmer. I haven't plugged in my block heater yet, but I did pick up a high-amp timer so that I don't have to run it all night long.. I'm thinking I'll have it turn on around 4 am for a start at 7am... that in combination with the grid heater should put me in good shape..

#6 ·
You won't need both ,when I was up there I just use the grid heater .
Yea, but it surely won't hurt it to plug it in! It's a personal preference: I know guys that don't plug their 6BT's in unless it's -10. That, to me, is ignorant. A little on the power bill is worth a bunch...

:idea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.