Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

muffler

12K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  mcinfantry 
#1 ·
i bought a double wrapped muffler for 53 dollars. it is 4.5x11 by 25. its QUIET. REAL quiet. as in quiet like a GAS truck. much quieter than my 94 cummins with stock exhaust.

#23 ·
I spoke to Mike at Heartthrob this morning. Part #101 is an IMCO stock type muffler. He said it is very quiet. The HVS is their "free flow" muffler and the HPM is their performance turbo muffler. The HPM is the quieter of the two. I copied the info below from their 40 page online catalog.

Exhaust Flow Tests for 3” exhaust
CFM Backpressure
Heartthrob HVS #54144 248.5 0.25
Flowmaster #943042 233 0.50
Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 o/c 222 0.25
Heartthrob HPM turbo # 1142 c/o 218 0.25
IMCO #914 turbo 182 0.666
IMCO muffler #101 (stock type) 140 0.50

Link to their catalog: http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/2004cat.pdf

#6 ·
i couldnt stand the straight pipe in a truck, so i know it would suck in a enclosed vehicle. i didnt like the glasspack either... too much drone.

my buddy with a yj hated straight pipe, so did a buddy with a blazer. the blazer guy went stock p30 muffler, but this is much more quiet.

#8 ·
Nice website and lots of products, but I couldn't find the part either. Everything has 5-6 digit part numbers, nothing I saw was only 3 digit like #101. Any more info McInfantry? Thanks.

#11 ·
3" in and out. his name is mike forbes.

But if you want the quietest muffler, I would suggest just going with a 3" single offset stock o.e. type muffler. This # 101 (most restrictive) is $51.24, and will be the quietest for you application, and what I would recommend.
i did not look at my invoice.....

#12 ·
The (most restrictive) refers only to the range of selection on the website, correct? (not restrictive as a design intention I hope). I've been considering 3" throughout (my motor won't be too modified) and value your experienced opinion. So many guys w/bigger displacement go blindly right to 4" or even 5" systems... ...but sometime a little back-pressure resistance can actually flow smoother and more volume(!) Thanks.

#13 ·
correct. i think it is restrictive compared to the "performance" ones, not restrictive by design. i have a boost/pyro and will try and run it in the next couple of days/weeks. i dont think it will be a negative impact. plenty of volume comes out the pipe (not scientific). just not alot of noise. mind you i have only run this in an enclosed shop..... maybe ill run it a little today....

#14 ·
Good, let us know mcinfantry. I'm sick and tired of my droning stock muffler and I'm in the market right now, especially at that price.

And yeah, maybe you could dig up that invoice or get us more info on which exact muffler you bought? They seem to sell about 3,000-4,000 diferent units hah!?? Thanks

#15 ·
Did you get a chance to get any updates on that part number? Thanks!

JimmieD

#17 ·
Yeah, I can't believe he'd quickly forget you haha! Thanks bro, I'll check it out. And i really appreciate you posting this in the first place!

#22 ·
killer, exactly what I was looking for..
I ran a straight magnaflow turbo muffler designed for diesels and it was in fact loud as well. I am looking for the same thing, something gas quiet. I was thinking chambered and I did some reasearch and a lot of guys are running them on their diesels with no problems, even bomed out. All the ones I found (big name manfacturers) were a little more expensive. Plus I like supporting the liitle guys.. The question for me now is whether to run a 4" exhaust. No one around here bends them but there is a place about 5-6 hours away that I can hopefully allow me into bending one up or picking through their parts for an on-site install.. A company nice and small and similar to what you link lee. Their mufflers look better though IMO :) And I like that there are at least two lengths too :)

http://www.heartthrobexhaustinc.com/heartthrobvelocityseriesmufflers.html

#27 ·
Qt mufflers

I can't believe so many of you are joining me on wanting a quite muffler ..This has been my biggest fear on getting my 4BT running ..Was Noise .....Now back when I had my part store I sold some turbo mufflers they too were very cheap 15/20 years ago ...they too were no.101 but they wouldn't last long... cool while new but only lasted a few months ..I told everyone to put them on in late spring and replace next year ..

#29 · (Edited)
...I've been planning on using one of the new 2008 cats gutted or a perticilatted filter ...their both very heavy I thought I'd saw in half.. empty... stuff it full of steel wool and reweld it...I've got 2 just in case..Now we have to send them back .
I was thinking of a similar solution. I plan to use the Heartthrob HPM turbo style muffler. If it is too loud, I'm thinking of gutting a catalytic converter, packing it with stainless steel wool and slipping perforated stainless tubing through the body for a homemade resonator. LAC sells perforated tubing in various sizes.

http://lachoppers.com/perf.php

#30 ·
tubing

Now that might help also ..I don't know if it was on this sight or another i';m on but some one showed some baffles you can buy an put in 3 inch pipe ..I think it was Summit that had them ..they were to make chambered exhaust but MY thought was that they would work inside my home made muffler..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.