Has anyone seen a 12 valve swap in a toyota
4BTSwaps.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen a 12 valve swap in a toyota

Thanks

Default Has anyone seen a 12 valve swap in a toyota

I am in the work of swapping a 12 valve into my 1986 toyota 4runner and was wondering if it has been done yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. It's gonna take a lot of firewall chopping.
    NRA Life Endowment member
    1980 Scout II:92 Dodge CAC, NV4500, 3.73 gears, Atlas 4.33,33/10.50 BFG KM2, HE221W 6cm2, 3200 GSK. Cold air intake & snorkel. Mileage:low 20s to high 20s. The swap 172 hp, 431 ft lbs torque.
    91.5 Dodge W250 CTD. 92 Dodge W250 CTD: gone to a good home.

Thanks

I haven't seen it, but I want to! PICS, BABY, PICS!!!

If 4Wheel&Off-Road can put a 24V 6BT in a Wrangler Rubicon, you can get a 12V in a 4Runner. I think if you can find the pictures of their firewall and floor mods you'll have a good idea of what you'll be in for in those areas.
    1995 Dodge Ram 2500 6BT Manual Tranny 4x4 on 37" Military Michelins
    1980 Ford Bronco 4BT with Solid Axle Swap riding on 37" Swampers
    2000 VW Jetta TDI fuel sipper
    2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon family hauler

5. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

well i got the motor in last night without cutting the firewall but i am in the works of mocking the transmission and transfer case before i cut the firewall. I need to push the motor back atleast another 6 to 8 inches to put a radiator in the front to make it look somewhat like a sleeper i will post some pics later today when i get home. The 4runner is also on 44 inch tsls so i dont have to worry about the oil pan hitting anything thank god I cant wait till its done going to be nasty.
    Last edited by toyota4runner 44; 05-26-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks

why not set the radiator support forward 6 inches then section/stretch the fenders then weld together 2 hoods----when you do it --the wheel well gets stretched too---it allows 38-40 tires to actually fit in the wheel well----if you are 4 linking the front you can kick your axle 6 inches further forward to give a better approach angle-----it takes 4 fenders and 2 hoods to do the job-----bob

Thanks

i dont like the way people stretch the front ends and plus i want it to look somewhat factory and i have plenty of clearance i have 18 inches of lift

Thanks

I put the pics on backwards but you shoulb be able to understand. Its a real tight fit but its in just waiting on my transmission adapter to come in so i can figure out how much of the firewall i have to cut out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toyota4runner 44; 05-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks

Don't know about 4Runners but there are a *few* of us who either have done....or are doing 12V's into older Landcruisers. Cumminscruiser over on IH8MUD has been using is 86 FJ60 as a DD for the last 16 years. Should give you some great ideas on considerations while your project unfolds:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...cted-fj60.html

I've been seeing how long I can make a project out of my 82 FJ60 conversion for the last 5 years - LOL - you can see some here:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-b...g-buildup.html

There's also a guy goes by boots4 here on 4btswaps that has a really good write-up on various mods he's done to his conversion in his 60. It's a 4BT plant driving the whole thing - ran across some cool youtubes awhile back showing him crawling over some trail points----almost literally idling over with the diesel it seemed to me. If I find them I'll post for ya----inspiring, you know?

Anyway, I think the issues and space limitations for the 60's would interest your project. Example----we're using the stock radiator. Maybe some capacity/flow issues if you did the math, but we've never seen any issues in cumminscruiser's rig. I mean, afterall, it's a diesel and lives off of proper heat generated. Also, both of us use the later model Dodge NV4500. Input torque values on that are something like 410 ft-lbs giving us a fighting chance with the output coming out of the darn 6BT. Space at firewall is off course minimal --but not crazy.

I'll tell you one thing though---we put the engine and tranny and adapter for mating the NV to the stock Toy txfr case "angled in" with the front grill support off for cummsincruiser's 60, for me I just didn't want to deal with it and pulled off the fenders and front support. Not as hard as you think and gave us LOADS of room to work later.

Just a little input there for ya! Great project - keep it up

Oh, here is boots4 write-up on his 60:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-cor...ly-haulin.html
    He's doing some interesting stuff with some of the autoshifting via computer I believe right now so it may give you some ideas on that piece.

Got his videos there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P1AC...eature=related

Great negotiating---feels great to have torque, no?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ1YI...eature=related

Hope this helps!

Thanks

"If 4Wheel&Off-Road can put a 24V 6BT in a Wrangler Rubicon, you can get a 12V in a 4Runner." They didn't actually use the Wrangler frame, they wanted to but quickly decided that it would not hold up to the weight and torque so they used the donor truck's frame ...with a LOT of fabricating. I can't wait to see the outcome of this conversion, it looks like something I might like to try myself!

Thanks

Well, yeah, that's true. Really, they put a Wrangler Rubicon body on a Ram diesel chassis, with all the appropriate stretching, widening, and reduction of the frame length to make the 2 match.

Still, I've never lusted after a truck they have built more than that one!
    1995 Dodge Ram 2500 6BT Manual Tranny 4x4 on 37" Military Michelins
    1980 Ford Bronco 4BT with Solid Axle Swap riding on 37" Swampers
    2000 VW Jetta TDI fuel sipper
    2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon family hauler

Thanks

That was pretty cool in the landcruiser but it sucks that the landcruisers engine bay is much bigger than the 4runner. I should be getting my adapter soon so I can bolt my trans to the motor and start figureing how much i actually have to cut out of the firewall and see were i have to put my motor mounts at so I can fit a radiator in the front. When I cut everything out i am going to make a nice center console out of aluminum or diamond plate with a door on it so I can take the last few valve covers off if I need to cant wait though it is going to be nasty I will put some more pics up soon when I get my trans on the motor and start cutting stuff thanks for the input

Thanks

I just have to say this though-----and I probably get a little flack maybe. It just may be high time for some respect and being circumspect when it comes to driving around in these rigs when they are daily drivers. There's a representation going on there when you own one of these things. Yeah, it's nice to do a 360 here and there but if you smoke black out of 5/10 lights and do 360's whenever the fancy hits.....

it will turn enough people off whose only introduction to the capabilities of even the well-retooled diesel swaps is going to be smoking, freewheelin', whooohoooo'ing boys in toys. And, then, SMOG. Bureau of Automotive Repair limitations shoved down so far you are not going to be able to touch anything newer than 1990 or ... 1980.... if any diesel word gets stuffed into your equivalent of the California Smog Referee.

Give some respect to carrying on in the rig's with this torque so you project the intelligence and control that finds people not familiar with these kinds of swaps thinking you actually know what you're doing. Returning some respect not rolled eyes as the rig out-does a seemingly more capable car in the first 1/4 second out of a red light. This guy losing the vehicle may probably been nothing more than an irritated Reno highway patrol who didn't like the fact that his personalized 4x4'ing police commando vehicle was "out-done" by this guys seemingly innocent 4-runner (okay, nothing innocent looking about his rig - LOL). So he impounded it and the rest is a Bad Story. Or, it could have been him doing one too many "see me smoke of the redline". Maybe. Maybe not.

Little more respect. Little more realization you represent a group when you're out there in the public ...you have some control.
    Otherwise, we may find -----as they have and are attempting legislation to prevent you from working on your own vehicle engine---that we'll all have to be trailering our diesel-enabled rigs to the trails. With no options to drive them when they ARe well thought-out swaps. There were decades where the first diesels out here in US of A got some really bad raps because of the hasty attempts at US car manufacturers to re-tool a gas engineered engine for ... ugh, diesel operation. Bad idea and a bad image for the lesser informed public. Now fast forward. What opinion does our way of driving around with a diesel done vehicle, um, inspire .... in the piece of public we are *introducing* our rig to, based upon our driving level.

Anyway, my soap box. I'm not saying that the guy in Reno may have done anything wrong. And, I'm not saying that there aren't alot of guys with diesel rigs who DO carry on in their driving habits respectably as far as foot and wheel demos. I just start to cringe as I notice more youtube videos of black smoking belching, race track ripping diesel trucks....

Again, my take and certainly a limited one. I'm only one guy. It's only an opinion and maybe this idea has been d around before----I could just be ignorant there. But it just seems to me that it's an important point that maybe needs to be taken up more as more and more of these types of swaps are done. And, more and more of these vehicles are seen on the freeways. Alot of lessons out there. What to do. What not to do. Gotta be smart enough to just take heed of 'em and learn what there is there to learn. And then carry on yourself with the good lessons.

Anyway, my hats off to toyotaforerunner44 for the project you have here. Look forward to seeing it progress.
    And, getting it properly configured for, er, legal road driving if that is your wish. Or, not.
    Either way, you should be learning some great stuff here during your Journey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyota4runner 44 View Post
    That was pretty cool in the landcruiser but it sucks that the landcruisers engine bay is much bigger than the 4runner. I should be getting my adapter soon so I can bolt my trans to the motor and start figureing how much i actually have to cut out of the firewall and see were i have to put my motor mounts at so I can fit a radiator in the front. When I cut everything out i am going to make a nice center console out of aluminum or diamond plate with a door on it so I can take the last few valve covers off if I need to cant wait though it is going to be nasty I will put some more pics up soon when I get my trans on the motor and start cutting stuff thanks for the input
    You know, I always thought the forerunner was slightly smaller looking---at least width wise.
    But, didn't know if that was an optical illusion or something.

I guess it's not an illusion.

Thanks

Well I found out I have to put a bigger body lift or else I have to cut a lot of the firewall and the floor. It sucks but whatever got to do what i have to to make it fit. Also pulled the dashboard out on monday and pulled all the ac stuff out. I am going to just make my body lift out of square tubing and weld it to the frame and gusset it also so it doesnt sway. So I will put some pics of the empty firewall inside and the body lift so you guys can see how it looks and tell me what yall think.

Thanks

Ok I have another question my adapter plate is off a bread truck that had a chevy 400 transmission what kind of flywheel and starter do i have to use to work

Thanks

what tranny?

Thanks

cool...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Thanks

its a chevy turbo 350

Thanks

Its all fine fitting a 6bt in a Toyota but what are you doing about the weight on the front axles and brakes? I have had to replace many brakes pads and rotors and spindles on stock early FJ80's due to their up-sizing over the years but with little in the axle department. In 94 they went to bigger brakes and a lighter aluminum motor which help the front axle in both cases.

Thanks

Well the trick is to run bigger runing gear. I have a three quarter ton chevy rear axle and and just a half ton chevy rear. And i bought a bad ass adapter to run a chevy master cylinder on the factory brake booster so it should stop pretty good. I still need some info on the starter and flywheel for my bread truck adapter can anyone help me.

Thanks

Thats good your addressing the axles and brakes. As far as the starter I have one and I know its not the same as the 12v version.

Thanks

just saw in another thread your looking for an adapter,flex etc set-up I think i still have a complete kit less good flexplate if your interested.

Thanks

how much did you want for the kit call me 561-436-0027

Thanks

How about remote mounting the radiator elsewhere with electric fans?

Thanks

I was thinking about doing that but I thought about it and changed my mind because i didnt want the radiator in the car because if it ever over heated it would spray me with hot ass water and i didnt want to mount it on the roof because seeing the hoses go up to the roof would look like crap. So i decided just to cut the firewall and make a cool dash with my own gauges. I already started to cut the firewall and it is starting to come together pretty good i will put some pics up soon.

Thanks

the firewall mod and custom dash is a good way, but a roof-mounted radiator can be not so bad at all... as far as hoses go they can be placed inside the A-pillars (with a proper thermal insulation, obviously)...
    http://formspring.me/kamikazeondrugz

http://cripplerooster.blogspot.com/ - if you can't read in portuguese (or even spanish that is closely simillar) use the google translate

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rastaforte View Post
    I just have to say this though----- {snip}
    All good points. Note the build on pirate had it's registration pulled. If you go around making smoke and annoying people you will ruin it for everyone.
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

Thanks

I know that the roof mounted radiator would be pretty nice but i would like to make a bad ass dashboard with my own custom gauge setup. And another thing is I am in florida and they dont have emission testing here so I can blow as much black smoke as i want, but I dont plan on driving it on the road anyways it is just going to be a mud truck so, im not worried anyways about a registration problem.
    Last edited by toyota4runner 44; 06-16-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Isuzu Diesel Innkeeper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyota4runner 44 View Post
    And another thing is I am in florida and they dont have emission testing here so I can blow as much black smoke as i want,
    Do you understand the public and legislator perception problem with black smoke?
    Isuzu 4BD1T Junkie.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live:

Please enter your real name for our records:

Log-in