94 Dakota 4BT swap
4BTSwaps.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 94 Dakota 4BT swap

Thanks

Default 94 Dakota 4BT swap

I've started on my 4BT swap, things are progressing nicely.
    Here's a pic of the van on my dad's trailer. Needless to say, it didn't stay on it for very long!!! We decided it would be safer to drive it home.

A pic from the van at a local road sign on the way home.

I think thats a Cummins!!!

Yup, that's definitely a Cummins!!!!

And this is her out of the van in all her 4cyl glory.

She's about 2 feet long and just under 3 feet tall. More pics soon.

Thanks to everyone on here, you have all been a great source of information for me!!

Stephen
    Last edited by khaoskustoms; 07-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I am doing a 95 but havent made much progress lately. I need to get back on it. I have just been too busy.
    2000 Ram3500
    Getting back to the 4bt Dakota conversion

Thanks

Thumbs up

Sweet project! I'd love to do this to our 91 sport 4x4!
    Future 4BT 1991 Dakota Sport 4x4

5. Remove Advertisements
    4BTSwaps.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd6 View Post
    I am doing a 95 but havent made much progress lately. I need to get back on it. I have just been too busy.

What are your plans for your 95??

Stephen

Here's more pics.

Here she is after a good washing.

Yes, it really is the 120HP model. ;D

My gaskets from Cummins

Here's the block with the head off. Barely any noticable wear on the cylinders. I'm quite happy with that.

New head gasket. And yes, those are ARP Head Studs, don't want the head to lift off once I put my twins on her.

Here she is in primer.

This is the color scheme I choose. I've always liked blue and silver.

The next step is pulling my old engine and trany out of my Dakota and setting the Cummins in to see where I'm going to have to make my motor mounts.
    Last edited by khaoskustoms; 05-18-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

Nothing too radical. But I dont want it so clean that I dont want to drive it either. I am mainly interested in a daily driver with good economy. I am sure I will put some injectors in it. I am rebuilding the pump also but nothing too fancy other then 3200 spring and maybe 10% over.
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

cool, that's my plan too. I'm going to be keeping the stock diff, t-case, driveshafts, hoping to make the cruise and a/c work, basically it should be just like it was with the v8 just with the diesel instead. I'll also be using the truck to pull my car trailer. My next step is going to be to finish my oil pan. I've got it notched to clear the diff, now I just need to weld it up.

Stephen

Ok, here's some pics of the old engine and trany being removed from my Dakota.

The old engine bay.

The engine out of the truck

The old transmission (It's only got 50,000k since being rebuilt, so if anyone needs one, it's forsale.

And the big hole that's soon to be filled with Cummins Diesel power!!!

Last edited by khaoskustoms; 05-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

Ok, here's the update. Sorry it's been so long since I've updated things. Just had a busy week. The Cummins is in, the motor mounts are built and now I'm in the middle of figuring out how to make my front diff work. I'm looking into a drysump system, but at this current moment it looks like we will be cutting the oil pan to fit. After a couple of preliminary cuts to the pan and with some brackets that will drop the diff down about 2 inches, it looks like things are going to fit. I don't have any pics of the oil pan yet, but I do have a couple of the motor mounts and of the engine in the truck. (Note, the engine will be coming back out and I'll probably end up spraying the engine bay black.)

Here's the Pass side motor mount. Using part of the stock 318 mount and some 1/4 inch plate. That nut doesn't hold anything, everything is welded together.

Here's the drivers side mount. We couldn't put it in the middle, because the starter was interfering. But luckily, my Dakota has a nice big fat crossmember that goes right under the engine and that is what we set the drivers side mount on. It's made from a piece of 3/8 inch angle iron.

Here's a pic of the motor in the truck.

Got the oil pan done this weekend. I'll post a pic as soon as I load it onto the pc.

Stephen
    Last edited by khaoskustoms; 05-18-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks

Looking good!
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

Very nice! I'm jealous dude. I was thinking red and black for my engine, but I have to admit the blue and silver is an awesome combo.

Thanks

That is really nice man. I'd like to see your belt configuration and what belt length/number you're using. I'm having some trouble with my setup because I'm using the Dodge Ram CTD alternator & brackets (both A/C & black top one). Also, there are different water necks and tensioner positions. Looks like you're using a Dodge CTD water neck (I still have the 4BT one on mine) but got a 97' CTD one in the mail last week. Do you plan to run A/C or is it just water pump and alternator for now?

What kind of paint did you use and how did you apply it? What sort of prep work did you do before your paint job?
    Last edited by sirhannick; 03-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD 3.9L Turbo Diesel w/NV5600 <progress pics> <thread> (SOLD)
    166HP 4BT, Fuel Pin, 366 Spring, 4" SS Exhaust, HY35 (9cm2), 01' Ram I/C, 6spd NV5600

Thanks

That rocks, brotha!
    Future 4BT 1991 Dakota Sport 4x4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirhannick View Post
    That is really nice man. I'd like to see your belt configuration and what belt length/number you're using. I'm having some trouble with my setup because I'm using the Dodge Ram CTD alternator & brackets (both A/C & black top one). Also, there are different water necks and tensioner positions. Looks like you're using a Dodge CTD water neck (I still have the 4BT one on mine) but got a 97' CTD one in the mail last week. Do you plan to run A/C or is it just water pump and alternator for now?

What kind of paint did you use and how did you apply it? What sort of prep work did you do before your paint job?
    All my brackets came of a 92 VE pumped dodge diesel. I used the Dodge Ram CTD Alternator and brackets, the dodge ram belt tensioner, the dodge ram fan bracket (which is different than the 4bt one), and the dodge ram a/c pump. Yes, I plan on running a/c, but I have to do a little frame notching and boxing to get the pump to fit. I'm using the stock length belt, the Napa part number is 25080830. This way my motor is all 6bt on the front and I should have no problems with my belt. I'll see if I have a pic of the belt routing.

The paint is just rattle can old ford blue engine paint. I sanded the motor down and gave it a couple coats of self etching primer, then sprayed about 3 coats of the blue.

Thanks all for the compliments.

Thanks

here's a pic of the belt routing on the front.

ok, another update for everyone. Last night I got my diff temporarily mounted on it's mounts. We built 2 inch spacers to drop it down 2 inches, then had to cut the front crossmember for the driveshaft to go through it, and also had to notch the transmission crossmemeber for clearance as well. The next step is to re-build the oil pan. Here's some pics

Here's the pass side drop bracket/hanger

Here's the front crossmember all cut up with my driveshaft cutout

Here's the transmission crossmember that we notched out.

Last edited by khaoskustoms; 05-18-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks

I would like to know if you have any part numbers off that TPS on top of the VE. I want to round those parts up also. I plan on putting a 47re trans in mine. Thanks!
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

the NAPA # for the tps is 229323. It's off 92 VE pumped Dodge truck. You would be better off finding a donor truck, you need the tps, the bracket that bolts to the top of the pump, and a little piece that sits in the hex on the top of the throttle shaft that sticks into the tps.

Stephen

Thanks

Ok, update time. The oil pan is done!!! And it wasn't even as hard as I thought it was going to be!!! Here's the pics.

Here's the big gaping hole that were going to be filling.

Here's the modified pickup tube. Sure made it easy to make that with the front of the sump cut off!!

This is my dad marking the location for the new drain plug. We would have reused the old one, but it disappeared somewhere.

Here's the 14gauge plate where using to reform the front of the sump.

And here's the piece roughed in.

And here's the finished product in primer.

Side view

And this is the inside.

Now all it needs is a coat of paint. And it still holds 8lts of oil!!!

The next step will be pulling the motor back out, Welding in the driveshaft crossmembers, and giving the firewall a coat of black paint.
    Last edited by khaoskustoms; 05-18-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks

Good to know. almost 2 gallons! Nice work!
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

If your planning on keeping the stock diff you might have to drop it down a bit. I built 2 inch drop brackets to drop the diff down, gave me the extra room I needed to keep the oil pan a decent size. If you run a solid axle you might not even need to change the oil pan.

Thanks

Here's a pic of where we had to notch the frame for the A/C compressor to clear.

Thanks

She's coming together nicely, I'm 90% sure we have all the fab work done, tonight I'll be welding everything up nicely and hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll be ready to drop the motor in for good. Then I have to figure out my plumbing, and build an intake manifold. Fire er up and go for a spin!!!

Thanks

Well, things are getting closer!!! I'm hoping to have a vid of the engine running in my truck by the end of the weekend. Keep you all posted.

Stephen

Thanks

Default It's Alive!!!!

Well, I got my wiring all done over the weekend. I was starting to feel the itch to hear it run, so today after work I gave her a try. Took about 3 min of cranking with the injector lines loose untill I seen fuel, tightened em up, and she fired right up. It was a really satisfying feeling!!! Now, just a few more little things to wrap up and I should be good to go.

Stephen
    Last edited by khaoskustoms; 03-16-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks

That is awesome!
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

that is a wonderful feeling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post
    Here's a pic of where we had to notch the frame for the A/C compressor to clear.

obviously not done, but gonna make access holes for the compressor bolts?

looks good
    2001 CTD Durango - Sold
    2000 24V Ram QCLB 5speed - Current

Thanks

yup, that was made so the compressor could clear. I'll post a pic of the finished product soon.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Durango View Post
    obviously not done, but gonna make access holes for the compressor bolts?

looks good
    Don`t need access holes. just put all 4 bolts in the compressor, slide it down and thread `em in, plenty of room for a ratchiting box wrench, that`s how I did my bro`s `86 chev 1 ton with a 6 bt.
    71 vega w/ sd22 nissan diesel turbo, 5speed, 50 mpg. 70 chev suburban 4x4,60/14bolt ff,divorced 205,pto lu-4 winch,3.73 detroit locker rear, power loc front, 35s on 16.5"x12" weld wheels, 2400 allison 5speed,triple disc billet torque converter, tcm by Brayden Fleece, 8.2 Detroit fuel pincher turbo v8, 18 mpg. `94 suburban 1/2 ton 4x4, 3.42,`92 6bt, 47rh, Hx35/12cm, 4" exhaust,3200 spring.16/17mpg city, 22mpg freeway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtamulonis View Post
    Don`t need access holes. just put all 4 bolts in the compressor, slide it down and thread `em in, plenty of room for a ratchiting box wrench, that`s how I did my bro`s `86 chev 1 ton with a 6 bt.

ah nice, i figured it was as tight as a 6bt.
    2001 CTD Durango - Sold
    2000 24V Ram QCLB 5speed - Current

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khaoskustoms View Post

I was starting to mock up the a/c compressor and everything today and was looking at what to do with the idler arm on mine. I have a plan lets see how it works out.
    2000 Ram3500

Thanks

Well, she is running and driving under it's own power now!! Still a few bugs to work out of it. Seems that my original v8 computer won't turn on the alternator, yet the overdrive works fine with it. I put in a diesel computer from a 92 VE truck and now my alternator charges, and the tach in the dash starts to work, but I don't have overdrive anymore. I think it's something to do with the thermal switch that's supposed to be inline in the trany cooler line. Since I don't have it, I think the computer is locking it out of over drive because it thinks the oil is too cold. And I belive the V8 computer isn't getting the right crank signal so that is why it's not turning on the alternator. So, for now, untill I get time this weekend to play with it some more, I'm using both computers. The V8 computer for short trips on the highway, the diesel computer for in town driving. So far it's working fine as a temporary fix.

Stephen

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live:

Please enter your real name for our records:

Log-in