Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been working on installing a 4bt into my ’82 GMC K2500. Last week I finally finished up the motor mounts and the motor is sitting comfortably in my truck.

I took an approach to the motor mounts I haven’t seen yet on this page, but it was inspired by a multitude of sources, many from here. I essentially used a leaf spring bushing as my motor mount. I’m not worried about its strength, but do believe the vibration might be an issue; time will tell. My motor didn’t come with the fluid filled mounts and my poly GM mounts felt awkward with the space available. Pictures are attached. I haven’t finished constructing the frame side of the motor mounts, but they are complete enough to hold the engine, while stationary.

The clearance between my oil pan and front axle do not look like they will be a problem. Though I do plan on replacing the sagging worn out leaf spring shortly after the conversion is done.

The turbo placement with the tilted exhaust manifold looks like it will be a problem. The turbo is quite close to the firewall and I doubt I will be able to comfortably get the down-pipe in. Most likely I will make a header.

I haven’t decided what to do about the engine cross member. The factory cross member looked like it did little more than provide a place for motor mounts and a safety feature incase motor mounts failed. I doubt the engine cross member provided much if any support to the chases. I’m wondering if it is even needed?

The biggest clearance issue with installing the engine other than factory engine cross member was the bump stop for the axle that hits against the differential. The bump stop support came in contact with the starter. I have since modified the support to clear the starter and might lower the bump a touch more just to make sure the differential never contacts the oil pan.

For now I’m posting three photos. I will most likely post more in the near future. Let me know if there is anything you would like to see or see more clearly. Of course I welcome all constructive feedback and would like to say thanks to all of you that have posted detailed build-ups.

passside1.jpg pass

engineonmounts.jpg engine on mounts

driverside2.jpg driver

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some work done today cleaning up the wiring in the engine compartment. Mainly just removing all glow plug related wiring. I also started to wonder why GM wired things the way they did. There appears to be more wires than are needed between that battery, starter, alternator, and a junction block on the fire wall.

Here are a couple of picture of some other things, that might be of interest.

Modified (against differential) bump stop bracket, to clear starter.
start&bumpstopclear.jpg
Clearance between oil pan and axle.
clearance.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts