Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I bought a 2000 GMC K2500HD Crew Cab with a Gas 350 that had a terrible rodknock, and a 4l80E behind it with the intentions of Cummins swapping it. I have a 1993 Intercooled VE pumped 12 Valve with an Eaton Fuller 5 speed behind it, the Cummins drivetrain is in a Ford School bus (not sure which model). I'd like to use a 47RH behind the Cummins with the factory floor-shifter transfer-case in the K2500. I already removed the gas drivetrain from the truck. I'd also like to use the factory brakes system in the truck. What do I need to get the factory transfercase to work with the 47RH, and how do I get the factory gauge cluster to work? I know the speedometer is ran off the sensor in the output of the T-case. Any input or ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not sure I could be much help with your questions. First off, need to identify what transfer case you have. There were several possibles in that model year. Might contact the guys at Advanced Adapters for help on joining the two. If your factory brakes are vacuum assist, probably need to source a PS/Vacuum Pump setup off a Dodge truck. There have been several GM builds on the forum and hopefully one of those guys with jump in with ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Not sure I could be much help with your questions. First off, need to identify what transfer case you have. There were several possibles in that model year. Might contact the guys at Advanced Adapters for help on joining the two. If your factory brakes are vacuum assist, probably need to source a PS/Vacuum Pump setup off a Dodge truck. There have been several GM builds on the forum and hopefully one of those guys with jump in with ideas.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm told my T-case is an NP241 or something along those lines. My buddy with the same swap said a 6.5 Diesel hydroboost pump is a direct bolt up to the Cummins. Now my only worry is bolting the 47RH to the T-case and wiring the factory gauge cluster to work.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Dodge used the NP241DHD behind the 47RH on the Cummins. Not sure if their model had provision for your speedometer output, but if it did that might be an easier route. It's a pretty good bet your's is the NP241C or the NP243C. Should be a tag on the transfer case to identify it. Yours has a 32 spline input and the Dodge 47RH has a 23 spline output.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dodge used the NP241DHD behind the 47RH on the Cummins. Not sure if their model had provision for your speedometer output, but if it did that might be an easier route. It's a pretty good bet your's is the NP241C or the NP243C. Should be a tag on the transfer case to identify it. Yours has a 32 spline input and the Dodge 47RH has a 23 spline output.
I checked the tag on the T-case and it came through as a 241C, what do I need to change the input shaft to a 23 spline input? Only worries I have now is getting the tranny to work with the factory chevy column shifter and gas pedal, and getting the gauges for oil pressure, etc. to work. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I'd say your first bet would be contact Advanced Adapters and see if they have a kit to marry the Dodge 23 spline to the GM 32 spline NP241C. Don't know that you could swap a Dodge NP241 input shaft into the GM unit. I suspect they have different size bearing and that would require a good machine shop to accomplish that. No easy solution. By the way, there was a 27 spline NP241C so you need to verify which you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say your first bet would be contact Advanced Adapters and see if they have a kit to marry the Dodge 23 spline to the GM 32 spline NP241C. Don't know that you could swap a Dodge NP241 input shaft into the GM unit. I suspect they have different size bearing and that would require a good machine shop to accomplish that. No easy solution. By the way, there was a 27 spline NP241C so you need to verify which you have.
I contacted Advanced adapters and lots of other companies, nobody makes a 47RH to GM NP241C adapter, so I've just turfed that idea. I'm just going to go with a Dodge Np241dld with a driver side drop, but now my only concern is getting the Speedometer to work as they use the output of the GM Transfercase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts