Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only one more issue with my 2001 durango, 4BT, 47RE swap and that is to get overdrive. I have been thru just about everything but still missing something. I have the tone ring on front of motor, TPS sensor running off pump shaft. I had my transmission rebuild guy hook up his scanner and rode with me and it shows the command for 1-2 then 2-3 and shifts fine but it never commands a shift to 3-4. I have checked connections, power and grounds. The durango had the 45RE with a 5.9L originally. Is there something little I am missing thats too obvious that I overlooked? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I have only one more issue with my 2001 durango, 4BT, 47RE swap and that is to get overdrive. I have been thru just about everything but still missing something. I have the tone ring on front of motor, TPS sensor running off pump shaft. I had my transmission rebuild guy hook up his scanner and rode with me and it shows the command for 1-2 then 2-3 and shifts fine but it never commands a shift to 3-4. I have checked connections, power and grounds. The durango had the 45RE with a 5.9L originally. Is there something little I am missing thats too obvious that I overlooked? Thanks in advance.
The A518 that I have in my truck needs a pcm signal to shift into OD

·
Registered
720 Posts
did you watch the tps signal to make sure that is Kosher?

tone ring is set properly, tach works?

trans output speed sensor good?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My auto tech had his scanner on it and said tps was working good. I would say tone ring works since tach is reading correct. I originally had the output sensor from the 47re in it and I took the one out of the 45re and tried it also and nothing either way. Dropped durango off with auto tech tonight and he is going to try his luck with it. He said he might flash the pcm to make sure it's good.

·
Registered
720 Posts
pretty sure my snap-on brick scanner will actuate the OD and TCC solenoids, that would be one way to verify wiring is correct and that the solenoids are working.

my OD issues were solved with a radioshack POT to replace the tps unit. and even now if i crank it back and forth(giving the ecm erratic signal) it WILL NOT hit OD.IMHO, it needs a constant(relatively) signal to operate.

it would be a fairly easy and cheep($10) thing to try.

Heres a link on how...

·
Registered
345 Posts
It won't command 4th if the brake switch circuit reads applied. this will not throw a code either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mobetta, That is what I am hoping my auto tech will do is activate them manually. I tried the pot earlier and it is still mounted in Durango and I had set it around the 2v area + or - and still nothing. Since the PCM is not commanding the 3-4 shift then I think something else is wrong. Bought this with a bad motor so I never drove it to know if o/d worked before.

ryansrinny,
I did not try removing the brake light fuse, will call guy I took it to and suggest that to him. Thanks again for everyone's response!

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's more than the fuse. Your brake switch works with the cruise control & trans. Could be a faulty switch, wires on the wrong spots or a pinched wire. Look closely. It could also be a bad OD solenoid in the trans.

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks yankneck696 Will check brake pedal switch later today, that could be that little thing giving me the biggest headacke. The solenoids were new during tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hmmmm.......My TPS was inop, so I did the RadioShack POT thing. Of course, my truck, 2000 Dakota, originally had the 4.8 liter engine and 45RFE transmission, so it's original PCM would not work. I switched my PCM out to one from a 1999 Durango (5.9, I think) that had the correct signals for the swapped 47RE transmission. Seems like I had to run a ground to one of the wires going to the transmission. I can check the pin outs for you this evening if you shoot me a PM to remind me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks daw_two, mine was the 5.9 with a 45re so thats why I thought it would be an easy swap. If you can check out what extra you done that could be the missing link. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
My pcm also needed to see coolant temp before it would shift into O/D and lockup.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks daw_two, mine was the 5.9 with a 45re so thats why I thought it would be an easy swap. If you can check out what extra you done that could be the missing link. Thanks
I grounded the wire coming from the 47RE's temperature sensor and that fixed my OD issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found problem to be in the temp signal wire from trans to pcm. The scanner at the tranny shop showed 73f. Hooked up a Chrysler scanner and found it showing -40f. I put in a resister at the pcm in this line and now I have 93f and trans shifts fine. I have close to 250 miles on it since finding problem and all is good. Thanks for everyone that replied to try to help me out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am also having trouble shifting from 3rd into 4th and lockup. I am going to try tonight and GROUND this wire, and or put in a resitor to see if this fixes my problem. Will let everyone know what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts