Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in an 02 2500 Avalanche. This vehicle has an 8.1 engine in it and is rated to pull greater than 10,000 lbs. Of course the gas mileage for this is low. What is the feasibility of putting a 4bt in this vehicle. Besides being expensive. I understand the towing capacity would go down.

I would like to use it as a daily driver but also pull a ~9000 lb camper about twice a year on a 4-5 hour trip. The 2500 also has a 4l85e transmission. So I assume it would take a transmission controller .... If this transmission is compatible. Different torque converter for diesel?

Has anybody put this engine in new model Chevy vehicles yet?

Just wondering out loud. Sounds interestings

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
For that application I would be more inclined to install a Duramax.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Why not a 6bt?

It would really move that truck well and probably not hurt mileage perhaps increase it if you are towing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
What state are you in? the swap may not be legal and you would have to convert back to the original engine!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anything goes in AL. Just tell the officer that you were '**** hunting and the bullet just happened to hit a deer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
just trade it in for a duramax, i wouldnt swap anything on a new vehicle like that with all the sensors and wiring, if u wanna 4bt id get an older chevy truck or something for cheap and put it in that with only 10ft of wiring vs 10 miles

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you want it, and have the stones to do it... why not?

Although I would think a 6 would be better especially on that tow!

I think the jelly bean F150s would make KILLER 4BT trucks. Slippery to go with comfy!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Things to look at .
1.Are you going to keep it ,may have a very hard time selling it.
2.The time and money to make it look right .
3.Are your skills up to this conversion .
4. Are you going to be happy with it when your done.

Conversions can be done wrong or just put together and will always have problems .

Need to think about these questions ,before you do anything.

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts