Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a worthy truck for my Isuzu. It's a 5.4 auto now with 140k. Bad engine. This likely won't be a very quick build because of the amount of electronics but let's get started.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In anticipation of this swap I pulled these at the junkyard last week. Research told me 97-08 used the same pedal/bracket assembly, so I yanked this from a more commonly manual 97 truck. Also grabbed the transmission wire harness, I'm not sure how much I can use but the connectors will be useful at minimum.

I didn't expect to find a loaded truck, so the factory adjustable pedals will likely have to go away.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some measuring this morning. The ZF5 is ~29.5" long. The shifter is located ~14" from the engine mating surface. The auto in the truck is 33-34", hard to get a good measurement. I've seen it said that the ZF5 is 3.5" shorter, so that adds up.

So here's the dilemma. With the engine in the stock location, the shifter come out under the foot HVAC ducting, and the transfer case moves forward 3.5", meaning both driveshafts need to be modified as well.

The thing is I don't see how to get the engine back 3.5" to be in the optimal spot. I think 2" is doable, since the Isuzu is not as wide as the SOHC 5.4 in there now. A body lift might buy a little more room but I'd like to avoid more than an inch.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still working a lot the last few weeks and haven't really touched the truck. That's slowing down next week so I can get a few hours in on the truck. I did block it up and crawl underneath today. Took a few measurements and pictures. So far it looks like fabrication will be minimal.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent about an hour today taking stuff apart, got the driveshafts dropped and almost ready to drop the t-case, just can't reach the top two bolts until I drop the trans crossmember. This truck is pretty much rust free but the crossmember bolts are being stubborn so I may as well soak them before I hit it again.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a 6.0L intercooler today, couldn't pass it up at $40. I know I can use it for my F350 at minimum but I checked the fit in the F150 for giggles.

It fits behind the grill pretty well but it's a bit too narrow to go in front of the a/c condenser. I think I could put it between the condenser and the radiator if I switch to a different radiator. I was planning to leave the stock radiator in but I do have a bunch of other ones around I could try out.

I do have a 3x12x24 aftermarket IC that will work easily if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drained the trans and t-case, removed the trans cooling lines and cooler, dropped the crossmember and the t-case. Just keep chipping away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damarble,

Can you create an adapter to move the shift arm mount further back? I ended up doing something similar when I put the RTO6610 in my truck only in my case the shift tower would have come out right in front of the seats. I did a little figuring on the angles and made a new low profile right angle shift tower that would fit in the tunnel. I then brought the shift arm up through the original hole.

Cj

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking something like this if necessary. Once I'm able to set the new drive train in place I'll really have a solid picture, but keeping the shifter as far forward as possible is also desirable because I have the center jump seat and more leg room is good.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was reminded how fun it is to pull autos. That ZF5 will look much better here.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to pull away from this for a little bit and finish up a duramax I bought to polish up and resell. But I did sell the auto trans today and rolled some of that cash into a near new MBRP 3" catback exhaust a guy has for sale locally. $150 for something that fits correctly seems like a no brainer. I'll only have to do a small custom section. I thought about reusing the stock 2.5" for now but nobody seems to think that's big enough for engines this size.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been through all sorts of hell with Ford internal slaves in the past, but I've been using aftermarket brands, eventually working my way up to Luk figuring that would finally be the end of it. But no. So I sprung for a genuine Ford unit for this build, which wasn't priced all that bad anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Damarble,

Remind me again... are you going with a ZF5? At least the ones I'm used to looking at have external slaves.

Cj

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small block ZF5, in Ford's infinite wisdom they spec'd small blocks with internal slaves and big block/diesel with external.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ford's "infinite" (cough cough) wisdom ;). I forgot you were using the small block. Engineers that wish to design cars should be required by law to spend the first 3 years of their careers working in an auto repair shop.

Cj

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was less than glorious but the 5.4 is out, with a lot of fluid spillage. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's sitting more or less where it needs to be. The block side motor mounts are further ahead than I'd like but I think I can make it work. The angle and spacing actually works out pretty good.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Driver's side motor mount version 1.0
Will verify the fit then weld it out.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Driver side works perfectly.

Got the other side laid out, it was hard to even see the thing, the pass side is much tighter. Ended up measuring the rubber mount in relation to the block, then moving to my 4BD2T block to fine tune the measurements.

Turns out the Isuzu bracket is exactly perfect, except for being 4" farther ahead. So tomorrow I'm going to modify it a bit.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Passenger side tacked together. I decided to start from scratch after all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts