Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The second try went much smoother, just had to reset my pick on the hoist. It's sitting in it's hopefully final position. It will come out of the bay at least once more though, I want to clean it up better, put on the aluminum rocker cover, and take the oil pan off to redo the welds since I'm a considerably better welder now than when I first chopped it up. Although I think there is actually enough room to drop the pan with the engine installed if I drop the swaybar.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Spent some time today seeing how the VT275 turbos will fit. Not fantastic initially. I took them all apart and tried different clockings but nothing was really making sense. The manifold just sits so far back. So a new manifold or a stand off pipe are likely in order.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No work on the truck since the last update, trying to get my kitchen remodeled and deal with this virus crap, which has caused me to work more instead of staying home. I did however order a VT275 exhaust flange and Isuzu p/s adapter fitting from TerraXJ, so big shout out to him for supporting the community.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm thinking I should port the turbo and make it match the flange better.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Be careful porting a turbo on the exhaust side. That generally isn't needed. The exhaust gases flowing from a smaller opening to a larger one causes an increase of velocity as the gases expand. One good example is on an engine if you port the head, you want the head ports to be slightly smaller than the ones in the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Be careful porting a turbo on the exhaust side. That generally isn't needed. The exhaust gases flowing from a smaller opening to a larger one causes an increase of velocity as the gases expand. One good example is on an engine if you port the head, you want the head ports to be slightly smaller than the ones in the exhaust manifold.
This is flowing from big to small though. There's quite a bit of meat to the sides of that oval, smoothing it out should be beneficial I'd think.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I drew up exhaust flanges and sent it to a friend to cut out of 3/8 on his plasma table.

Did some research on commonly available headers for other applications so see if anything was close enough to give me a head start. I ended up ordering a set of Ford FE headers, the spacing is mostly close to Isuzu and the shape of the driver side one is about perfect to flip upside down and mate my turbo flange to. So we'll see how it works out.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm leaning towards this clutch, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yummy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm intrigued by this creative idea. How does the manifold fit, and how is your turbo mount looking? Highly anticipating pictures!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
First mount up looks pretty good. I spent about 2 hours total fab time on this to this point. Cut off the 390 flange, shortened two tubes about 1/2" each, ground the flange to tube mating surface at a little more of an angle to get the collector more vertical.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But then the first snag. I won't be able to use the adapter, at least not in it's current form, not enough room. The best bet is probably to weld the turbo flange directly to the manifold.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think you'll find a solution. So was the head to header flange a bolt-up? How much did you have to relieve bolt holes?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I think you'll find a solution. So was the head to header flange a bolt-up? How much did you have to relieve bolt holes?
I had to cut off the flange that came on it, shorten two tubes, and weld on the flanges I had cut out by a friend. I couldn't have scratch built one in anywhere near the time it took to modify this one.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This should work. The turbo is a bit closer to the plastic than I'd like but I'm pretty sure a blanket is happening anyway.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had every intention of using a 88 SBF ZF5-S42 that I've been saving, but a buddy just put up for sale a V10 ZF5-S47 for $250 and I figured it was worth getting. Same ratios unfortunately, the 5.72-0.76 version, but many other positives, as well as some negatives.

It has the external slave which is a major plus, and the shifter is 2" farther back which is also very big for me. 5 of the holes are a perfect match to SBF, and I can get a 6th by drilling a hole in my adapter. Only one original bolt wouldn't be used.

The reason? That brings us to the major negative. The Almaras adapter uses a 6.0L powerstroke starter, which bolts to the adapter plate in the SBF position. Mod starters are clocked slightly higher, so the bulge in the bell to accommodate the starter snout does not match. It looks likely I would have to notch the bell, and the starter falls right where that 7th bolt would go.

Mod pattern laid over SBF:

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I sort of wondered what you were going to do about the starter location. I know Destroked has a Cummins adapter plate specifically for the Ford modular bolt pattern. Like the one you mentioned it uses the 6.0 starter and a NV4500 modified flywheel. It's sort of an expensive process to get an external slave. I have one of the kits for the 7.3 transmission an that was like $1500 about 10 years ago. On yours you'd probably have to cut out part of the bellhousing. Might could weld a patch to cover up the hole. Is that bellhousing aluminum or cast iron?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The bellhousing in the picture is cast iron, but it's just a random bell off a NP435 I have around, it was easier to handle than the entire ZF5 with integral bell.

I can probably make a small sheet metal cover and screw it over the hole or something.

This is my Almaras adapter.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This goop was a joy to remove.

But success. There was a stamped depression I just traced around and left about a 3/4" lip so I can screw a new cover down.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well nuts. Hit a snag. I tried to stab the transmission in today and it's just not happening without at least a 1" body lift, 2" to be safe.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts