Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finaly got to a point where I felt like taking some pics. bounce Here is the start of the new drag truck. Still have some go fast goodies to order, but most of the parts are in, and now its time to start making the motor and tranny mounts. Still trying to figure out how far back I want to mount it. I can notch the top pannel to set it back another 6 inches or so, but it will make my mounts a little harder to mount. Oh well back to work.....I keep posting some pics as I go......Later guys

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, there are definatly a few bars that need to go,:grinpimp: but im going to leave them alone for now, untill I get my bender back. It was a new chassis that was set up to run the short track truck class, but I couldnt turn it down, and the motor fits like it was made for it. I changed out the 10 bolt for a full floater 9in, and a few other things like going from a 26 gallon cell to a 5 gallon. I am getting realy close to firing it up, and have most of my hard parts here and ready to install. I will be working some late hours this week to try to get it running, and just cant wait to hear it rattle. here are a couple of pics, but I will take some more later, and add some details. I was kind of bumed out that not even one person posted a comment on the buildup for a month, and wasnt planning on posting about it again....so thanks for your comments...:beer: Later, Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I never saw the original post listed in the forum, until now! Strange...maybe other folks didn't either. Looks like a slick ride, even 1/4 mile at a time. What kind of truck did you start with? Whatever, it sure is unique and looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here in the northwest 1/4 mile diesels are becoming a big deal. Bill Fletcher has a Dakota with a 6bt that should be in the 7s this summer. He has a full size in the 9s. I've got a 53 Stude with a 500 cube Caddy that I bracket race. Building a Willys wagon w/4bt. God this diesel stuff is heavy. Oh well gotta keep on workin, harder to hit a moving target. Keep posting we are interested, I must have missed your first post.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well we are really getting into the diesel drags, and if we can get a 8000 lb one ton to run in the mid 11s, I should be able to get a 3000 lb truck with a 4cyl to move on down the track :rasta:
Oh, and the short track trucks start off with a G-body car frame, and build cage from there. I will be ordering my dodge body today, and that will really change the looks of it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Ah hah! Very interesting and what you say about performance makes a lot of sense. Just can't wait to hear the track results!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
just lucky

Well just had to brag about it... :grinpimp: I had a good buddy GIVE me a clean P-pump 12 valve sunday, just to get it out of his way. It is missing the pump, and two injectors but the rest of the motor is there. (also has a brand new head on it) I will probably end up going through the motor this winter just to check everything out, and if I cant get the the ET out of the 4bt that I want, Ill slide in the 6bt bounce. Well back to workin on the truck....I get my body on wen, but on thursday I get my eyes done, and will be away from the truck a few days. I will be posting up some new picks of the intercooler setup, and other goodies that have been put on. I "should" be startin her up next weekend if everything goes right.;) later guys

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It's not just being in the 'right place at the right time' but knowing the 'right people' :)

Sounds good on the 6BT, but I hope you take the 4BT all the way first. That is, I remember the Hudson Hornets that were drage raced in I think class J? No, they weren't top fuel dragsters, but in their class NOTHING COULD TOUCH ONE OR EVEN COME CLOSE! I suspect the same is true for the 4BT, possibly the most under-rated of all common engines.

Don't remember if you posted such, but did you balance the 4BT reciprocating assembly? And if so, might I ask what kind of jing-aling that costs? Probably not cheap....unless it's done at home

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I havent went through the 4bt yet, and I realy want to take it out "stock" with the hy35. Then start trying to turn the VE pump to the max, and Im haveing a custom set of injectors cut. I am realy wanting to see what I can get out of it without switching to a P-pump, since it would be just as much for me to put in the 6BT and have two more cylinders. I have no issues with it needing to be drivable. It can belch out as much smoke as it can, and I will just clean it up with nitrous. It is amazing how much nitrous we are going through with Bryans 03 dodge. As far as being in a class, I will be stuck running against the other 6 and 8 cylinders, if I run in the quick diesel class. Now if I can get the 500HP out of it that I would like, then its a different ballgame. It all depends on how much fuel that I can get out of that pump. Being 5000 lbs lighter will only go so far, but atleast I have a backup plan if it dosent go as I want it..LOL Now if everything goes great, then this winter I will fully ballance the motor, cut the intake off and run a ZZ manifold, and realy start playing with different chargers, and sticks. I feel a little weird on here, since most are trying to get great milage, and reliability, or run on alternitive fuels. But I will keep posting since there seems to be a few who have a dark side to them...:rasta: Well gota get back to the seats..later guys..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the truck body came in, and I have my work cut out for me. It is in about 24 pieces, and I will have to get a buddy to help hold some of the larger pannels. It is a combo of ABS, fiberglass, and aluminum, and weighs a whoping 140lbs. I will get some pics up tonight, after I make some more room for all the parts.....it looks like a dodge exploded, and chit went everywhere...LOL Later guys

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know its going to be a crappy night and next day when you come in at a little after 2:00 in the morning from working on the truck.....tired as can be.....you lay down.....and then for the next hour you cant quit thinking about parts you need to order, or how to make this bracket, or am I going to be able to get this done in time. Then what sleep you get (and I use the word sleep lightly) absolutly sux, because you are dreaming/thinking about the truck.:( :puke:

Well I torqued down the 6bt manifold that I cut the 1st and 2nd port off of. Mounted the HY35, and torqued the 3 inch intake that I made. I had to clock the cold side, so I wont have a working wastgate unless I make a new bracket to hang it off of. I am still waiting for a couple hoses, and clamps to come in to finish off the turbo piping. Other than a couple things like getting a drain hose, custom length oil feed line, fluids, running a little exaust, its getting close to starting it up for the first time.bounce Well I tried to post some pics, but I need to resize them first...I will try to figure it out later, my mind is mush...LOL later guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
nice

Glad I ran across this thread. Should be pretty interesting to see/ hear how the build develops. I'm interested in the power you can get, but I'd like some fuel economy also. Just need to be able to drive to someplace to get off the road. Well legally anyway :rasta:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm hoping the best for you, toolman, and you'll get there! If misery loves company, on my '67 Dodge swap there was the Cummins aspect, but more.

I had to swap out all springs, shocks, axles, steering, brakes, hydraulics for brakes and custom fab a clutch slave, add/fab a swaybar, custom build a steering column from misc. parts, then fit the engine and fab the mounts, install NV4500, remove front crossmember and fab rear crossmember, custom driveshaft, fab up a real complicated custom square tubing framework under all the flooring, rebuild front and mid-cab mounts, replace all cab floors and lower firewall, all custom fabbed along with the new framing for seat mounts, repair the BAD rear-ender damage and roll-over damage, rebuild the rusted out metal areas, square the whole body with no existing reference points, rebuild rear doors framework, fab a rear bumper, rewire the whole truck, and a few dozen other misc. items all under a closing deadline, plus having to move at nearly the same time! Oh, and no shop, all done in the backyard on top of a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood.

Well, thanks to bunches of long distance help from Paul in NY, and the Good Lord, it got done! Worth every bit of the effort too!!! Stay with it.... :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More goodies

Well cool, I had a friend who has been barowing my bender dies for about a year :( bring them back tonight, and is going to give me a carabou (sp) race seat for the truck. One of his guys got a small welding splater on the customers new seat, and he had to replace it. It sure will be nice seting in it instead of that plastic POS. I decided to run the exaust out behind the cab instead of a small stack coming out of the hood. I still havent decided on a single or a dual yet, but it can wait till the body is on. I still have a joint of flex that I can run it back till I run the finished hard pipe. I had to cut a brace off of the chassis to run the downpipe, but it shouldnt be a problem with all the X bracing thats there. Guess I had getter get back to work...think ill make up the batt cable and see about routing it to the batt out back....later guys

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
smebodys gettin blown....

Well just found out that the friend that I talk about with the 900hp 03 dodge dually is on the cover of Diesel Power magizine this month bounce :rasta: bounce That SOB has been in that mag 5 times in just over a year...makes me sick..LOL :puke: Oh well, congrats Bryan!!!! My turn is coming up...I hope

1 - 20 of 143 Posts