Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to convert my 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport to a diesel however I am having a few issues getting my hands on a cummins 4bt, so instead I am looking into swapping in a 12 valve 5.9L. My question is, is this possible and does anyone have any clue how difficult it is or how I should be going about it? Also any pointers on tranny choice and axle and suspension choice would be much appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anything's possible with enough time and money, but you're gonna need to do some serious modifications. First thing's first: grab your tape measure and figure out your engine bay's clearances vs. the length of the engine. A 6bt is a long motor, you'll probably have to at least cut the firewall. Also, there's the issue of the motor's weight. A 6bt weighs around 1000lbs; a 4bt weighs approx. 750lbs. That means that the 6bt weighs about twice as much as the stock 4.0. You're gonna have to seriously beef up your front end to handle the extra weight. If it were me, I'd keep looking for a 4bt; they're out there, you just have to look. Be patient and you'll eventually find one. That's not to say that you can't put a 6bt into a Cherokee, but the 4bt would fit with far fewer issues.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
B-series engines are very tall. Have you looked into the Cummins 3.3L or isuzu engines? There are other smaller diesels capable of making a lot more power than the 4.0 which would be much easier to fit...

·
Registered
196 Posts
They Make a bolt in kit to put a Merc 617 in there :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anything's possible with enough time and money, but you're gonna need to do some serious modifications. First thing's first: grab your tape measure and figure out your engine bay's clearances vs. the length of the engine. A 6bt is a long motor, you'll probably have to at least cut the firewall. Also, there's the issue of the motor's weight. A 6bt weighs around 1000lbs; a 4bt weighs approx. 750lbs. That means that the 6bt weighs about twice as much as the stock 4.0. You're gonna have to seriously beef up your front end to handle the extra weight. If it were me, I'd keep looking for a 4bt; they're out there, you just have to look. Be patient and you'll eventually find one. That's not to say that you can't put a 6bt into a Cherokee, but the 4bt would fit with far fewer issues.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
We've seen the 6bt in the older Grand Cherokee but yours is a smaller vehicle. As was said, you can put one in most anything but it's probably going to be a major operation. Might have part of the engine inside the cab. You'd definitely need some upgraded axles and frame mods to handle the weight and torque. A 4bt would be more feasible. The new R2.8 would be another but that won't be cheap.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My vote: one of the 5- or 6-clynder Mercedes or a VW TDI.

Less money and engineering required than for a 6BT. And, I think on-road handling of the Jeep with a 6BT and a heavy front axle (e.g., D60) would be less than ideal.

Roy

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Being a uni-body, I just can't see it tolerating either it's weight or the power output unless you were to build or adapt a frame to put it on...........$.02

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm looking to convert my 1998 Jeep Cherokee sport to a diesel however I am having a few issues getting my hands on a cummins 4bt, so instead I am looking into swapping in a 12 valve 5.9L. My question is, is this possible and does anyone have any clue how difficult it is or how I should be going about it? Also any pointers on tranny choice and axle and suspension choice would be much appreciated
I love the kubota v2203 swaps in these rigs ... +30mpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts