·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off let me state a few things:
1: i am not new to mechanics and have been around cummins engines all my life
2: i have the ability and knowledge to fabricate anything needed

Now on to my inquires!

I own a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 (nbs) with the 6.0 gasser. lots of power (and lots a gas) but the engine has 215,000 miles on her. ive been interested in doing a 12v swap but information is hard to come by with this body style (2000-06).

1. Would it be better to use the tranny dodge runs with the cummins or build up the tranny in the truck?

2. How hard is it going to be to keep it a 4x4? or is this a stupid question hah

3. i own the pushbutton 4x4 model with the auto 4x4, would i be able to keep this if i used the tranny that is mated with the engine from the factory

4. is the anyone on this site that has done a similar swap and can give me a breakdown?

5. does anyone have a ballpark number on how costly it will be to do not including the engine and tranny

more to come later...

if the questions are stupid or if i am missing something please excuse me, i just like to have a good idea on something before i jump into a project.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

This forum has a huge archive of information that will answer all of your posted questions. Look at the top of forum sections for the many Sticky threads, especially in General section and Tech section and Transmission, Adapter & Transfercase sections in threads titled FAQ's. Also look in the Buildup Showcase section for builds that are similar to yours. You can find detailed step-by-step info on exactly what was done to acomlish the swaps.

After you've done your end of the research, post up your specific questions that haven't been answered. It's not that we're lazy etc. but so many of these questions are already answered and we don't much like to repeat day after day.

Enjoy your build and have fun!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did a detroit swap on an 02. I would recommend you keep the 4L80E/transfer combo to keep your 4wd function and use an adaptor for the engine. I used HP Tuners to retune the trans, and turn off all the engine codes you'll end up with. If you search my username you'll find my swap thread covering some of the stuff I had to deal with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JimmieD thank you i am still figuring out the forum lol

intimidated: thanks for the input on the tranny! did you build up your tranny for the swap? my 6.0 engine makes 370 lbs of torque and the tranny seems to do fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts