Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably obvious to everyone but me. Do the 14 bolt FF differentials from a Chevy CUCV have “special” 4.56 carriers?

I searched the web but have not seen a definite answer. The closest thing I can find is from post number 8 here -> (https://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/thr...t-gears.21378/) which states they only accept “thin” cut style ring gears. I assume all 3.73 gears would be "thin" style due to the larger diameter pinion gear? Another post I found shows a ratio chart that has two styles of 4.56 gears which adds more confusion(as far as the CUCV vs normal 4.56 carriers).

The reason I am asking is that I currently have a 14 bolt which I need to swap the 4.56 out for a 3.73 but am not sure if I need to purchase a different carrier despite the 4.10/4.56 carrier split.

Thanks...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will leave this post up in hopes that it may help someone else who is confused as I was regarding the carrier split.

Eventually I was able to identify that I will indeed require another carrier, specifically a 4.10 and down, to run a 3.73 gear in my current setup. This is due in part to the 3.73 pinion having a larger diameter than the 4.56 pinion, resulting with the need of the larger carrier offset.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts