Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my old Dodge W300 has giant 1480 yokes on the drive shafts and t case. I will have to upgrade my 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front to the 1480 yoke. Is the Dana 60 front yoke the same as a Dana 60 rear? I am not sure on the jack shaft between the transmission and t case what to
do other than change the slip end to match the transmission. But it has to be the exact same length. Or see if I can get a U joint that fits the transmission and shaft with 2 different sizes. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
1350 is a good match for a Dana 60. 1410 for a 14 Bolt/D70/D80/Sterling

I think "balance" is what you want in this stuff. 1480 is odd for the size of components you have. That driveshaft looks old and hammered. Sloppy stick welds on BOTH ends of tube are a red flag for me. Tight drivelines with appropriately sized, matching yokes work well.

Center drivelines have a tough life if the transfer case can move at all. I don't like divorced transfer cases at all. Fought them too much and for no good reason.

If you want to keep your 1480 stuff then you make a driveline with a 1410 or whatever size yoke on the other end. Driveline can connect anything to anything as long as it's made right.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the stick welds with a Lincoln stick welder and 6011 rods DC no porosity and very good penetration they will be fine. If it has any vibration I’ll have it balanced. The factory welds that I ground out had porosity and slag inclusion all the way through on both welds looked good but were terrible looks don’t mean the welds are good and vise versa. I just need to know if the yokes are the same on the front and rear D60 and if I can get a yoke that will fit my gm nv4500 and the shaft that would possibly be 2 different sizes. It will be cheaper to go this route than to have 2 driveshafts made. The short one I didn’t mind making but I don’t want the extra labor or costs to have them made way less to change the yokes being both axles are apart for rebuild.

·
Vendor
2,655 Posts
Many newer 6 sp trans run 1410 in one ton trucks. 1410/1480 and bigger in old brownies the same. Whats your spline count and dia? I use companion flanges and flanged yokes, makes dropping drivelines quicker as well. https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/category/cat.html

Reactions: LiveFreeOrDietryn2B

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to call welds sh!t. I thought that was a picture of what you wanted to replace

From a helpful angle, how did you center that short one up to weld it? The little ones are fairly sensitive to alignment.

Yes, 60 front and rear and even Dana 70 use same yokes.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok NP I put them in the same phase as factory and used a flat surface to make sure they were not at a funky angle when I pressed them in. I tack welded beforehand I used 6011 which is no different than 6010 instead of 7018 so I could have a better chance of a solid weld if any contamination was present as 7018 doesn’t like any I could also tie the starts and stops together without anything other than a wire wheel. If I have any bad vibrations I’ll take it to a shop. That’s why I wanted to just change the yokes on the axles so I don’t have the hassle with the other driveshafts or added expense. I ll be running 9.00 16 tires from Samson as they have the retro look to them. My axles are 3.73 ratio.I am a grandma driver so This truck won’t ever see past 60 to 70mph. I’m used to that anyway daily driving a Bobbed M35a2 since 2012. I didn’t know if They make a U joint with the 1480 on one side and the 1350 or 1410 that’s on the transmission or not but that would be the easiest route to go and not very expensive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well my old Dodge W300 has giant 1480 yokes on the drive shafts and t case. I will have to upgrade my 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front to the 1480 yoke. Is the Dana 60 front yoke the same as a Dana 60 rear? I am not sure on the jack shaft between the transmission and t case what to View attachment 129278 do other than change the slip end to match the transmission. But it has to be the exact same length. Or see if I can get a U joint that fits the transmission and shaft with 2 different sizes. Any help is much appreciated.
Neapco makes a conversion joint 1410/1480

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have to look it up but Spicer makes 1480 yoke for 60/70. I have one on my rear 70. There maybe some variation I have'nt, seen but as I remember front and rear 60 and rear 70(not sure abt 70 F, even though have one in my truck) are same size 1.276-29 spline

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I found one i needed to convert the 1350 on the transmission from neapco and gonna change the yokes on the axles to 1480 so only one will be a 1350 which I have a new one here so only need the 5 1480 u joints took quite a bit of research to know what I needed.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The jack shaft has a 1 3/8” 16spline so had to measure and search and the u joints took a bit to find they are the same as the ones that are used on the front axle shafts because they have the inside clips not the more common outside ones and some companies measure clip to clip some companies measure end to end so that added to the confusion🤨

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those are likely detroit universal joints series 5380 with the inside snap ring depending on year of truck. Same spread between snap rings as 1480wj but cap diameter is smaller. What year is the w300?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s a 1964 Dodge w300 the the length of the U joint is 4” c clip to c clip 3” I don’t have a caliper or micrometer to read what the diameter is exactly

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I ordered the Neapco slip yoke for transmission and tcase shaft so it will now accept the 1350 u joint. I also ordered the 1410 yokes for the 14 bolt rear and D60 front. I will order the 2 5380 to 1410 conversion U joints and the other 5380 standard joints in a couple weeks. It definitely would’ve sucked to have ordered the wrong parts. Thanks for the help with clearing that up I thought they were 1480 yokes by the measurements I took would have cost me money and time:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I looked up 64 w300 in my old Spicer book. It calls for 5-1301x as replacement.( Bearing cap diameter 1.231, between internal snap rings 2.99) which is detroit/chrysler 5380 driveline. It shows conversion joint 3-357x to convert to 1410

1 - 20 of 23 Posts