Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need thought's for a 6bt P7100 build roughly 380+- HP level and need input about pros and cons of HX40 both gated and non-gated 16cm2 turbine housings.
I did find a new Holset Super 40 16cm2 4" V band non-gated using a cobra-head down the seller claims will be just right for my HP target that I'm considering using for a DD and occasional light to medium towing.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
363 Posts
Well I'd be cautious as Holset never made a Super HX40 in a non waste gated version. They are all 16cm WG. To be honest I have never even heard of a regular HX40 in non waste gated version, as they are all WG in 16cm, 18cm, 21cm etc and our old shop used to be attached to a sister company that was an authorized Holset builder/distributor. I used to ask a lot of question as I walked through their shop on a daily bases. Yes, a genuine Super HX40 will support 380hp. I ran a regular HX40 on my 6bt VE & later a P7100 engine at 400+hp. They work fine for this.

I'm thinking this guy selling might be trying to pawn off a knock off turbo.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Agree with Mark on that one. Never seen a non gated housing on an HX40W. I have one of the Super HX40W turbos with the 16cc housing. They actually built 2 different compressors on the Super. There was a 60x86mm and a 56x86mm. Both were 6 blade fans. There was a 7 blade 60x86mm but that one is not the Super.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the tag and it just has "Super 40" and nothing else so I'll err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Sort of curious where you found that critter. I've seen some sites using the term "Super" but those weren't the true Holset version. The Super also has a 10 blade turbine instead of the 12 blade on the regular HX40W.

·
363 Posts
It has to be 100% a fake, as they don't say Super HX40 on tag....and as wee as what Charlie pointed out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sort of curious where you found that critter. I've seen some sites using the term "Super" but those weren't the true Holset version. The Super also has a 10 blade turbine instead of the 12 blade on the regular HX40W.
Its out of the EU "Xenon-UK" store on the bay 60/64/16 they claim custom runs on real Holsets.

·
363 Posts
For shits & giggles I looked them up. For one, the turbine wheel is 1 mm smaller than normal & the exh housing is some weird round flange deal that no N.American down pipe is going to bolt up to. My guess is they needed to machine down the turbine wheel 1 mm to fit this odd ball exhaust housing, as the hx35's & hx40's use a 65mm turbine wheel, not a 64mmm. I must say, everything about this turbo is just plain weird.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For shits & giggles I looked them up. For one, the turbine wheel is 1 mm smaller than normal & the exh housing is some weird round flange deal that no N.American down pipe is going to bolt up to. My guess is they needed to machine down the turbine wheel 1 mm to fit this odd ball exhaust housing, as the hx35's & hx40's use a 65mm turbine wheel, not a 64mmm. I must say, everything about this turbo is just plain weird.
So my asking prevented my getting sc___ed, thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think you are going to need a little more air to reach 380+ HP than an HX40 can give you unless you have a huge intercooler.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you are going to need a little more air to reach 380+ HP than an HX40 can give you unless you have a huge intercooler.
Running a 2nd gen Ram CAC and going another route now.

·
363 Posts
We’ve made 540hp on a regular hx40 with 16cm housing on a 1995 dodge Cummins. 380hp is no sweat

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So anyone with pro/con gated or not knowledge?
It's for a DD with occasional towing.

·
363 Posts
Can't say I've seen a non gated hx40 housing but when a choice is avail between the two, I'd always go waste gated on a turbo. They spool faster & give you some control over drive pressure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't say I've seen a non gated hx40 housing but when a choice is avail between the two, I'd always go waste gated on a turbo. They spool faster & give you some control over drive pressure.
Thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts