Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

One of the parts I'm hoping to recycle from my bread truck are the 19.5" wheels. I have a set of 16.5" Chevy wheels with almost new tires that will go back on the bread truck when I sell it. I already tried the wheels on my 1996 Dodge Cummins (with swapped in 2004 Dodge axles) and the only problem I see is that the Chevy center hole is too small. We have a local machine shop our shop works with sometimes, so I'm just going to have them machine the holes to the proper size (same center opening as my Dodge wheels). Does anyone see a problem with using these wheels? I'm talking besides the obvious clearance checking. I'm hoping to put some tires on my Dodge that will actually last, so I can get my money's worth. Up in my area, on our terrible roads, tires only last around 15k or so miles. The last ones I bought new for my Ram lasted almost 20k, but that was with hardly any towing or hauling, and I was commuting 75+ miles a day on better roads than we have locally. $500 a set is a lot to spend at least once a year for each vehicle we have, so by running 19.5" duallies on my Ram 2500 I should be able to make them last much longer. They will also help when I'm hauling firewood home in the bed. The 10 foot logs stacked over the top of the cab made handling interesting.

Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got 19.5 bread truck wheels on my 1993 chevy 1 ton, and love them. You can actually run F or G rated tires. It's a rougher ride unloaded, but loaded it's night and day. ALSO, be sure to get them 'internally balanced' with the powder, instead of having a bunch of wheel weighs hanging off the wheel.

BEWARE, tho, that each tire is going to run a minimum of $175 for a 'made in china' tire..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Additionally, you'll need to know that the bread truck wheels are really accuride 29015 wheels (newer) or accuride 27774 (older). They're only rated for 2540 lbs each, and cost about $220 each from ricksons. They don't tell you they're accuride wheels, but that's what they are.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have no place locally that does powder balancing, all we can do are weights. I get good deals on larger tires through our shop. Cost on name-brand tires we installed on a customer's Chevy 3500HD was closer to $150. On the other hand, the cheapest I can get a 17" tire for my '04 wheels is almost $125. You can see why I really want to try 19.5". 2450 lbs. each is plenty of strength...that will handle 10k lbs. on my rear axle. which is way more than the AAM axle will handle. I'll keep it in mind if I ever install a Dana 80 though. I got the axles from an '04 Ram 2500 because they were cheaper than putting new ball joints, wheel bearings, and axle disconnect on my '96 front axle. Now I have no disco to worry about, and I have axles with under 30k miles on them cheaper than the parts would have cost me. Eventually I want to swap in some F450 or 550 4x4 axles if I ever come across a deal on them.

Jim

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
I had a pair of Goodyear G171 8R19.5 tires on the back of one of my trucks for a while, they were great.
I even got them from Rickson as they had the best price around by over $40 a tire, even mounted, and the wheels you mention, they took 4 new ones in as partial trade, I ended up almost getting a pair of free tires out of the deal, almost...

Grigg

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can try an old off-roading technique to balance them. Guys used to use copper BBs to internally balance but it sounds like crap. What I do is use airsoft rubber/plastic BBs. You need to use a little more (due to reduced weigth vs. the copper) but it works excellent.

I had a set of Interco Boggers 35x14.5x15s - poured in one bottle of 1000 pellets per tire (I think it's about 5oz. of shot) and sealed it up. Granted, they're bias-ply and you'd get the typical flat spots that need to warm up, but after that there was no vibes on the streets or on the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts