Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
366 Posts
Sweet. Nice ride

·
Registered
98 Posts
Awesome!
Nice fab work!

I have a customer that recently did a Kubota diesel in a 29 Chevy. These builds definitely make statement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome!
Nice fab work!

I have a customer that recently did a Kubota diesel in a 29 Chevy. These builds definitely make statement.
What Transmission did they use ? I have the 4 speed ford but its a top load and I want OD ... Was going to use a T56 but I'm not finding a conversion kit or read anyone successfully making that work ... Going to do some more research

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Very nice. On the transmissions, if your engine has the Ford adapter plate you can use either a Ford/Mazda M5OD-R2 or a ZF S5-42 which came behind small block Fords. If you don't abuse it, the M5 has the best gear ratios and is pretty darn tough. Member Eggman can attest to that. The ZF is stronger but not so good in the gear ratios. The M5 gears were 3.90, 2.25, 1.49, 1.00, and .80. The ZF was 5.72, 2.94, 1.81, 1.00, and .76. There was also a ZF S5-47 introduced in 1995 which is even stronger and has the same gear ratios. One downside with that one is it has no provision for a speedometer drive. Fords at that time read off the rear axle. If you wanted to relocate your turbo to a higher position, there is a manifold for that. Cummins part 3901635. Can be found very cheap. You'd have to reclock the turbo center section so the oil drain is in the proper position and modify or change the plumbing. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have the Ford Adapter plate with the 4 speed right now , but the top loader has the shift lever to far forward . So this M5OD-R2 will bolt right up , what fly and clutch do you think I should go with ?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
On my M5OD-R2 (aka M5R2) , I am using my original flywheel and clutch assembly (1986 Ford E350 chassis) that came in my Grumman bread van. I've put over 70K more miles on this clutch,

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Russ pretty well covered it. If you look for that transmission, be sure the bellhousing has the small block Ford bolt pattern. There was also a modular bolt pattern on that and some of those holes don't match up. You'll also have an internal hydraulic clutch slave cylinder with that where you probably have an external or manual unit now. Not sure if there's any difference in overall length that might require a drive shaft mod. You will find these engines like to run in the 1700-2000 RPM range and that gives the best fuel economy. While not normal, we have one member who can get near 40 MPG on his street rod. Very light vehicle like yours and the engine tuned just right. If you ever wanted to make a change for improved performance, the turbo would be one of the first things to change. The H1C which yours has is OK but an HX30W would be light years better. You might enjoy reading DLRides build. Here a link. https://www.4btswaps.com/threads/the-diesel-deuce.89129/#post-882433

1 - 20 of 22 Posts