Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Those engines are also used in Ford pickup trucks down there. Yeah, Steed is on here. Wonder if he still has that part? Might PM him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I reached him through a youtube video of his, he said to check with cummins quickserve. Which I still can't make work. You have been the most help so far but cummns said that the part number is obsolete. And they don't know if they can get that here, they will check. I would like a part # that I know is good. A build we did years ago had someone from overseas flowing it. We have the same last name and we are related somehow. He builds toys like this also. I am going to ask him if he would see what he can find. Finally got my steel today.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Not really surprised that part may be obsolete. I could find virtually no listings for it. Probably an item that rarely got replaced and many of the applications were overseas. I sent an email to Cummins Atlantic in Charlotte NC to see if they might have one or know of one. Probably won't get a reply until next week.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That sounds great but cummins hasn't been much help. I think I found a part number 4897763. Found them on the UK ebay but no one wants to ship to the US.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Isn't 4897763 a MAP sensor? You can find those all over the place on ebay, amazon, etc. Haven't gotten any replay back for Cummins Atlantic. One thing that came across my thoughts was IVECO. They build engines under Cummins license and it may be possible they had that same intake manifold. Stranger things have happened. Their FPT N45 bears a striking resemblance to the Cummins ISBe. The IVECO engines are found in Case/IH equipment and maybe some vans or trucks. Here's a photo of one of those engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That number came off the bottom of an intake. I think it is a casting number he said it is a part number. from what I understand the cummins and the pacar 3.9 and 4.5 use the same intake. But the iveco 4.5 has some changes. I found them in the UK but no one wants to ship. Here is one in the UK

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Yes, this virus mess has put a stop on lots of overseas shipments. Even in good times shipments from the UK tend to be expensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The guy in the UK bought that manifold for me today, maybe in a few weeks or so it will be here. I started on the frame didn't like the way the first one was coming out so I started on a second one and am starting to change my mind again but don't want to spend the money a 3rd time. Now I am just getting aggravated I was hoping to have the engine in the frame and the suspension done before the country opens up. This is the first one I got a warped on the 2" side didn't see that coming. The second on I wasn't paying attention when I drew my plans and the rear motor mount is on a seem. I am going to have a hanging trans with no support. That allison is 330lbs let alone the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Frame splicing is generally recommended for the splicing member be about the same thickness as frame, about twice as long as frame height, each side, taper on each end so as to spread the load, not being tapered places all the stress at one location, need to weld flange or use a doubler across the flange.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Consider adding a fishplate to both sides of the splice after welding and grinding seam.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your think of how you would weld a C- channel frame not a box. In the 80's I was a heavy wreck body man. We clipped them like you said and when those 6 door trucks and suburbans were all the rage. I stretched dozens of them like that in Texas. But everything I can find on building box frames are treated differently. I spoke to some of these outfits that are building high dollar custom frames, $10 to 20K. I was surprised how many use 1/8" and butwelding everything. They think that 3" is a lot of overlap for a box. One of the very successful shops that is owned by a structural engineer of 30 years, said that working with all box in nothing like the old stranded C channel frames I am used to. You just don't need as much iron for the same strength. Hard to accept.
I shouldn't need a plate if it has one inside. But I might plate the ones in the rear of the truck where room isn't a problem. It would be alot easier than putting them inside the frame, and I would feel better about it. There will also be a strap on the bottom of the curve, that I am told I don't need.
Thanks guys I will take all the input I can get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bought an intake from the UK and UPS lost it. Been collecting parts, not getting much done. Ordered a 4th set of springs today. Can't find what I want, everything is on backorder. Drew up some plans for an air ride but I want springs With air helpers.

·
Registered
67 Mustang,68 Mustang.36 Diamond T.1990 Grizzly...first one built.
9 Posts
Cool project and a good looking truck...What Diamond T were you looking for ??..I have a 36 D/T and it will soon be getting a 2001 4bt with a spicer 5sd//

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Ford have some two leaf springs that can carry a heavy load, that is what I put on my GMC T-18HD with a 4-53T , RR trans., works well, comfortable ride. They come in various sizes.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks, I like the 36 to 49 I looked for 2 years and couldn't get a deal done. That's going to be nice. Is your engine a ISB?

I just got another set of springs for the rear 70 chevy skyjacker soft ride, so for now I have a set for the front and rear. But still not totally happy. The ones for the rear I am going to re-arch. The ones I wanted are for a 64 ford rear are made by posies but back ordered. The front are posies 55 chevy truck front 2 leaf but they have reverse eyes I would like then a little shortrer and a little stronger, like a 56 ford front but also backordered. The latter model stuff that I found are to long, but looked good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That is nice!. I believe that blue cummins logo on the engine means it was a factory rebuilt. That dash looks so good, was that overhead console stock? Did you know that they had 2 cab highs. One of the reasons I wanted one is because the cab looks chopped whit out having to do it. The other was called a tall boy or high boy something like that. They didn't look near as good as yours, but it was an option on the bigger trucks.

·
Registered
67 Mustang,68 Mustang.36 Diamond T.1990 Grizzly...first one built.
9 Posts
Yes the console is stock.The deluxe trucks have a beautiful dash.I am not familiar with the high cab...My truck came with the JX series engine so it has the long hood.The engine bay is a tad to short for the 5.9 tho and I will not cut the truck so 4BT it is..
Truck is going in my shop in the next month to be finished and do the engine refit...It took me 20 years to find a chromeable grille for it...Time to finish her.....

21 - 40 of 50 Posts