Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Ya that was a tough decision for me. I dug up an Allison rear tail housing that had the trans mount on it. Being mounted at the very front of the engine and rear of the trans didn't seem right and I didn't know what the bellhousand could hold and if the front mounts could take the torque alone. This is how it was mounted in the original truck, the rear mounts did take up a lot of much needed room.
This way you can also have the E-brake on the trans

· Registered
13,454 Posts
At least the dents aren't major. Looks like it's been through a hail storm. Gallon of Bondo should take care of those. People back in those days must have been smaller for the most part. Cab comfort wasn't part of their plan. My dad and his siblings were kind of rare back then. He was born in 1922 and was 6'8". The short one in his family was his sister. She was 6 feet tall.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I'm going to mount my Auto behind my 4BD1T build and I will need to make similar mounts as my JATCO trans in the NPR uses a similar mounting style
That was a tough decision. This way interfered with the steering. I got a different tail housing with the trans mount on it but then I couldn't have the park brake on the rear of the trans. Took me months to make up my mind.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
At least the dents aren't major. Looks like it's been through a hail storm. Gallon of Bondo should take care of those. People back in those days must have been smaller for the most part. Cab comfort wasn't part of their plan. My dad and his siblings were kind of rare back then. He was born in 1922 and was 6'8". The short one in his family was his sister. She was 6 feet tall.
6'8" he would have to ride in the back of the truck. In1936 the average was just under 5'8". It took 45 minutes to grind the bondo off. It had some big dents in it, I did some hammering and dolly. I am going to have to do some shrinking, not looking forward to that.

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Yeah, I've been around some of those older vehicles and wonder how the heck people squeezed into those things. Even in modern times, my dad selected the vehicle that best fit his body. In some models his knees were against the dash and those were ruled out. If you straighten out all those dents you might gain a couple inches of leg room. LOL.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Found some time to work on the cab, I intend to build a subframe under the cab and up to a 3/16 fire wall. I want to rubber mount the cab. It was bolted through wood to the frame. The floor was all pushed up and cracked all over. The heavy fire wall is to hold up the right angel hydro boost brake setup I want to use. The cab will be 6" longer.
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Floor Flooring
Wood Automotive tire Bumper Gas Composite material
Gas Composite material Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle

· Registered
13,454 Posts
Yeah, they did use a lot of wood back in the day. An extra 6" will help you a lot. On the hydroboost system, there are aftermarket units that you mount under the floor. Is that where the current master is?

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It wasn't under the cab just forward of it but still in the frame rails. I don't have the room for it under the cab. The trans is big and the steering box is there. Just forward of the spot like the original is themotor mounts and injection pump. It runs off the rear of the engine. I widened the frame at the front about 2" and still ran out of room. The engine, trans, front and rear axle and brake system came from the same 2005 1 ton. I am trying to keep all the same parts to help keep it simple. I am leaving out the ABS. You got me thinking now, I need a master setup 90% to the right and I can't remember which way it went.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts