Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone! Got a swap I'm just starting to undertake.

Donor car: 1981 240D w/ OM617 swap, 4-speed manual, non-turbo
Recipient car: 1937 Pontiac Deluxe 6CA.

If everything goes according to plan, I will be using the engine and transmission from the 240d/300d and placing them into the unmodified 6CA. The goal is to obtain an engine and transmission that have greater reliability and lower running costs than the stock Pontiac 223 six, an engine which just lost compression in five of six cylinders and for which I have received an estimated $10,000-$15,000 cost to repair. I chose the OM617 as I had experience with that engine on my old 300TD, and because the OM617 has a very similar power output and power band to the old 223 six, giving me a relatively similar driving experience if everything goes according to plan.

I work for Bosch Automotive Aftermarket and have ordered through my internal warehouse glow plugs, starter, and alternator, and we will be replacing those as part of the job. Unfortunately, we don't stock the injectors any longer, so I can't get the injection pump. I've also got some hired, expert help who will help me machine a driveshaft, mounts, and anything else we need. We will be keeping the stock steering system, but will be looking at using the parts from the 240 to make a 4-wheel disc braking conversion for the Pontiac.

This also means I will be converting the Pontiac to a 12-volt system. The new starter will be run off of the old switch - this is a floor-starter switch - and we will be integrating and reconditioning the air conditioning from the Merc. Pictures to follow, and I'll post updates!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To show you what I'm thinking, here's the power figures for both engines:

1937 223 Six: 85 HP at 3520, 161 ft-lb torque at 1600
OM617: 87 HP at 4000, 126 ft-lb torque at 2400

The Pontiac has a 4.37:1 rear axle ratio. The 617 is slightly less powerful than the 223, but changing from a three on the floor to a four on the floor should help that - and it's not like I am building this car for performance anyways. It'll get up to 50 just fine, and that's all I want her to do. And since the 1937's figure is gross power, I should be fairly close, anyways.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice i have a 1940 buick limited with straight 8 that i plan a 4bd1t/6l80e. Need to finish customers swaps to start that conversion.
Good luck, sounds like a solid plan. Squeezing more power shouldnt be to hard either

Ke

1 - 3 of 3 Posts