Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1946 Dodge Cab Over Engine (COE), Cummins 3.9L ISB, Allison 1000.
This isnt my first diesel conversion but it will be my first from scratch. I have been amassing parts in preparation for this build for a couple weeks so far the plan is:
ISB 170 and Allison 1000 from a Freightliner (frame cut complete assembly) I ordered it from Chad @ quickdrawbrand.com and its in route.
I picked up a donor chassis 2002, GMC, 3500, Dually, 4x4.
1959 Dodge Bed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Good idea to use a modern chassis, I have a Dodge 4wd chassis I plan on using for something like that. I see you are the powerwagon gentleman from Broomfield. I found one of these COE's in Greeley, hauled it to Ill. for someone.

Ed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good idea to use a modern chassis, I see you are the powerwagon gentleman from Broomfield. I found one of these COE's in Greeley, hauled it to Ill. for someone.

Ed
Yes, I am I sold the Power Wagon. Picked this up in Michigan to resell it but fell in love with it. It was a Coca Cola tractor then some farmer bought it in the 50s lengthened it and put a flatbed on it. I bought it from a guy that had it in his shop for the last 20 years. I picked up the chassis in Greeley actually. The PW was a great truck but, I'm excited about starting with a clean slate instead of spending half my time trying to figure out what the previous 10 owners did to the truck.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
Very nice project. Body on the old COE appears to be in very good condition. Hope the ISBe170 comes will all the wiring. We've had several members do that engine. Biggest issues have been wiring and power steering pump.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another way to go is to find a Ford, Dodge or Chevy motor home with the van type cab and strip every tlhing of it as they are real CHEAP ! Here is a friend of mines 52 ford COE on a 70's Chevy van/motorhome chassis ! Too bad it is only a 350 gasser, but oh well it is FUN to drive!!

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice project. Body on the old COE appears to be in very good condition. Hope the ISBe170 comes will all the wiring. We've had several members do that engine. Biggest issues have been wiring and power steering pump.
I have video of the donor running so hopefully not too bad. I will do a brand new harness for the body.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Gift wrapped package has arrived.

Almost finished with some other projects I need to finish first. really wanted to swap a DD 2-53 in this little baby dozer but it runs pretty good now.

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
Wires, wires, and more wires. There's an engine in there somewhere. LOL. Did they include the accelerator pedal? It's drive by wire too. Going to be a fun project.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wires, wires, and more wires. There's an engine in there somewhere. LOL. Did they include the accelerator pedal? It's drive by wire too. Going to be a fun project.
Yes it came with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you made any headway on this one?
Unfortunately not, I'm hoping to dismount the cab from the old chassis and mount it up on the chevy Chassis by the end of January.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts