Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys, I figured it was time to start a new build thread so to no avail...... here I am.

The 1947 Ford 1.5 ton 'Heavy' DRW with a 6BT, Roadranger RTO-6610 10-speed transmission, air suspension in all 4 corners, hydro-boosted disc brakes in all four corners, parallel 4-link system out back and independent up front...... Now that the search terms are out of the way.... back to the pictures...

But FIRST If your reading this and looking for the 1947 when it was running a 4BT and ZF-S542 Ford 5 speed transmission.... you can still find it here.

1947 Ford 1.5 ton with a 4BT and Ford ZF S542 transmission

And.... as always........... comments and questions welcome!

~M

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well guys, got the new HE341 today to replace the dusted up wH1C

AND WOW TALK ABOUT PERFECT FIT!

Notta thing was needed and even the wastegate head cleared the block!

Also, all the piping I grabbed from an F600 while junk-diving plugs right in (See intake plumbing)

Note: Deals are to be had on these... I got the HE341 and the Downpipe, shipped, for $250.... so they still exist HE341 has 78k miles on it....

~M

New HE341 installed:

THE BLADES LOOK AMAZING (Note Silencer ring will come out)

Very Happy with the back end....

All the wastegate head clearence in the world with the Gen 3 turbo.....

4 inch exhaust baby!

Downpipe that also came with the turbo

And a new clamp to boot

Oil Fitting plugged right in!

Oil Drain Plugged right in! (This was off the wH1C)

The big 90* boots I had off of a Ford F600

B-E-A-Utiful

~M

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beginning stages of tearing down and into the Eaton Fuller Raodranger RT6610 and making it become an RTO 6610....

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Beginning stages of tearing down and into the Eaton Fuller Roadranger RT6610 and making it become an RTO 6610....
That's not going to work terribly well, nor will it be good for the yoke.

Read the service manual and it'll tell you to slip it into two gears at once, and even then you'll need to strap the whole thing to something to break that nut loose.
alternatively but perhaps not ideal; I've had good luck with a healthy impact gun for removal (leave in neutral).
Takes a 3/4" drive torque wrench to reinstall though.

Grigg

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I'm used the sliding 2 oppoising clutches to lock the transmission.... but I can't 'strap it down' to anything to prevent it from rolling.... so this is how I do it by counteracting the forces...

And as far as the yoke goes..... im okay its WAY to big for me to be using (I'll be going to a 1610 or 1710 instead of this mammoth beast....)

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Removing the auxiliary transmission box from the main.....

(Note: Grigg you will be happy with the manual sitting right there......on the right page... step by step :p ) JK JK its a must when your dealing with something you've never done before and its expensive to screw up.

She slid nicely off...

Back of the main box..

Front of the Auxiliary Box.... everything looks good....

Range Sychro Looks good.....

~M

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The inside of your transmission looks awesome. It is just mesmerizing how all of those gears work together.

Please share how you are converting the transmission into an overdrive

What kind of mods do you need to make to get this bigger engine in?

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K Tron Fuller makes an overdrive kit........

Mods unknown.... probably too many......

For reference, got my SAE#2 flywheel housing in today, cleaned up and painted.

Flywheel Hall Effect Eye already installed.... but will use a new one...

For Reference:

SAE#2 vs. SAE#3 (#2 in front, #3 in rear)

All Done

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Goodies.......

Big... and by big I mean BIG brand new flywheel (Cheap too!).... I'm sure I can find a big enough clutch now! (muahahahaha)

COBRAHEAD!!!!! Off of a 8.3L Cummins 6CT..... (had for under a hundo too......truck salvage yards rock)

I still have to make a 3/4" double V band from 4-3/8" to 4" adapter... but that is just some hot rolled steel at work and some lathe time.....

Badda Bing!

~M

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Unless I missed it; it would be nice to list the flywheel and elbow part numbers along with all the SAE numbers etc for future references.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
So you need a larger cobra head?
Do they make one in the size you need to start with? If so I'd spend the time looking for one and trade or sell the smaller one you have if it helps get what you need to start with.

Grigg

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you need a larger cobra head?
Do they make one in the size you need to start with? If so I'd spend the time looking for one and trade or sell the smaller one you have if it helps get what you need to start with.

Grigg
Cobrahead is off of an 8.3L cummins 6CT and no they don't make cobraheads with 4-3/8" V-bands to fit the HE341... only 4" to fit the HX40....

Doesn't bother me as it'll cost me $0.50 to get a hot rolled adapter that is smooth bored and ported for nice laminar flow profile..... and the 4" cobra is perfect in regards to fit... I can't find (nor does anything exist) better then what I got now... I'd have to make my own cast... as a homeade cobrahead will not flow as good as teh one I got now....

I'm VERY happy with it....

~M

·
Registered
355 Posts
I second that motion

Unless I missed it; it would be nice to list the flywheel and elbow part numbers along with all the SAE numbers etc for future references.
good idea
I had actually at one time thought of putting a Eaton Fuller 6spd in my
2000 Dodge when I was trying to find parts for my NV5600:idea:
unless I find a massive deal on another 5600 when mine brakes
thats probably what I'll do:D
would really like to know the part# for the bell housing and fly wheel Please.
are their different bell housings for Fuller trannys or are they universal
haven't dug into it that far:confused:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cobrahead Exhaust Head
Cummins Part Number:
Elbow # 3921534 (OLD)
Elbow # 3927862 (NEW)

Flywheel: 5.9 Cummins, SAE#2 14" X 7" bore, 8 mount holes, 173 teeth

Flywheel Housing: SAE #2

Starter: 12V Clockwise 10 Tooth Off Set Gear

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.